shape
carat
color
clarity

RANT RANT RANT-poor service at dinner

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a late dinner at Blue Water Grill in Kirkwood, MO, because Ryan wanted something a little different and we spotted
it driving around. We got there right around 10 so we were thrilled ti was still open.

Well let me say this: While my food was great, though really undercooked (medium well
doesnt mean very red and cool), Ryan was really REALLY let down. He had the Blue Water
trio which was mahi-mahi--not cooked well at all--shrimp--good--and potato encrusted crab
cake which is said was ok but not good compared to the others he has had...the best thing
on his plate (a 21 dollar dish I might add) was the augratin potatoes.

The dessert was the sh!t. I had chocolate enchiladas. Oh damn were they good.

The service: absolutely f!cking atrocious. Just god awful. It took us over an hour and a hlaf
and twenty of those minutes was waiting for this dumb girl to show up and get our drink
order, then another ten to get the drink (DIET FRIGGIN COKE) and then she disappeared
again for ANOTHER 10 minutes! We order, and our food was out probably too fast, which
explains undercooked, and we sat there another 15 after I was done eating the dessert that
I had to order through SOMEONE ELSE walking by, just to get our check. She was sitting around chatting in the back corner with her coworkers and just totally not interested in working.

Luckily they put a mini survey on the receipt. We gave them 1 for service. OUt of 5. Awful.

So lets just say...not worth the money or time.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a bummer. Going out is supposed to be RELAXING and fun...to let the day roll off you and enjoy each other''s company with some good food. It''s certainly hard to do that when you''re being ignored and have to practically go get your own diet coke from the kitchen!!! It''s not like waiters make that much money anyway...they pretty much live on tips! You''d think she''d WANT TO EARN SOME. Sorry you had a crappy dinner.
14.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh shucks! At least the dessert was nice
9.gif

One thing I will never tolerate is bad service - I figured if you work in the service industry, you should endeavour to provide the best service u can. Rudeness is one of my pet peeves!

This reminds me of last wkend - I went shopping at a new upscale shopping ctr here in Melb and purchased 2 tops from this boutique. The sales assistant was putting the purchase through on my amex and it got declined - she said to me in a very condescending manner "Ohh sweeeethaaaart, you must have overdrawn on your card!"

*raises eyebrows* "Can you please put it through again - I just charged something to my card 5 mins ago next door."

Sales Assistant: "Sure, if you want me to, it will only bounce again!"

Sure enough, it got declined again, and she said "You have obviously exceeded your limit on this card - do you have another?"

I was quite fed-up with her tone at this point, so I leaned over the counter and said to her "Honey, there is NO limit on a platinum Amex." *rolls eyes*

I made her ring through the charge via phone, and it turned out that the link between that shop''s eftpos terminal and Amex was down.

Needless to say, I won''t shop there again.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id have yelled that one out loud and made sure anyone else heard it.

Damn. That''s uncalled for.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ame,

We went to the Blue Water Grill, since my fav is Mahi Mahi and won''t go again, my sis in law and her husband went and its overpriced and food isn''t great. Have you tried the neat Japanese place on Olive Blvd? Food was great and price great too, I''ll find the exact name of it and post later. The atmosphere was wonderful and im taking my parents there when they come up. Favorite place right now is Hunan and Peking on Manchester in Orchard Garden center, you should try it, everything has been great there and we get take out from there a lot!

Hope all is well!

Lori

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t get me started I just hate sh*tty service, poorly cooked food etc...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2005 12:34:59 PM
Author: yellowfan
Hi Ame,

We went to the Blue Water Grill, since my fav is Mahi Mahi and won''t go again, my sis in law and her husband went and its overpriced and food isn''t great. Have you tried the neat Japanese place on Olive Blvd? Food was great and price great too, I''ll find the exact name of it and post later. The atmosphere was wonderful and im taking my parents there when they come up. Favorite place right now is Hunan and Peking on Manchester in Orchard Garden center, you should try it, everything has been great there and we get take out from there a lot!

Hope all is well!

Lori
Tachibana maybe or the kobe place? I think there are several along Olive but I haven''t been to anything Japanese. Thanks for the Hunan and Peking suggestion, we drive by that a lot because we go to Monsoon frequently, but we have yet to actuallygo there. Monsoon is really good, Vietnamese, and the one time we had less than stellar service the owner apologized to us personally without us even asking for him. He caught up with us at the door and said he was sorry, and that there is no excuse for it. And it never happened again. I was really impressed.

We might go try that H&P. Today we are going to Mirasol on Delmar (across from the pageant) for lunch. LOVE that place. Just don''t buy alcohol. Its REALLY expensive. We found that out when our bill was almost all booze and it was over 50 bucks.

THanks for the suggestion and the comments on Blue Water. Ryan was really unhappy about the whole thing. It''s nice, I guess, to know that it wasn''t just us.

Ame.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite restaurants are family owned family restraunts where the owners are right there.
Usualy great food and almost always great service and if there is a problem its solved quickly.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t realize there were so many people living in STL on pricescope!
1.gif
I just moved here about 6 months ago.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Hi there Layne!
36.gif

I think that yellowfan, Ame and I are all in St. Louis.

I don't know if anyone else is. Anyone?
1.gif

Ame, I've never cared for the Blue Water Grill. I think that they are overpriced and snooty. (I only scored a 52% on the snob poll.)

icekid

Ideal_Rock
i used to live in St. Louis! well, i went to college there- graduated in 2003
36.gif

i''ve never been to blue water grill, but i have been to one of their "sister" restaurants (same owner?)- Remy''s Kitchen in Clayton. and i totally love it! the food was great, and so was the service hehe... but it is kind of a yuppy place, so if you''re not snooby, it may not be for you
3.gif
3.gif

St. Louis... a nice little city. i really miss my campus though!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Lived part time in St. Louis for about 2 months. It''s a great city. The people had an old west spirit. Had some great meals. Can''t remember where we went. It''s been over 10 years though. We did visit a cute little town near by with a winery.

Love the Arch & Love the Sarinien airport!
9.gif

Sorry about the service. Service can make or break a meal.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Ame-

It was Tachibana-sp off. Its great. Try H&P, I think you will love it.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, Layne, and Patty,

We should compare notes on dining out. My sis in law and her husband try all the new spots each weekend so I can talk to them too. My Dh went to the melting pot and didn''t like it. Sams St. Louis Steakhouse is a favorite for taking guests to dinner, they have the best peppercorn steaks. Have any of you went to the local mexican places here? My dear friend owns a couple of those. I was trying to think of the last new place we went, Texas Roadhouse and it was ok, DH didn''t like it, daughter and I loved it- we had salmon. He had the steak and thought they were not good.

Lori-yellowfan

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Icekid, where did you go to college...Wash U?

Lori, We eat out a lot but don't try many new places. My favorite restaurant is Nacho Mama's on Manchester in Rock Hill. It's Tex-Mex and VERY casual. You order at the counter and they call you when it's ready. We probably eat there or get carry out twice a week. My hubby likes it b/c he can get a margarita there and I like it b/c I hate being at the mercy of a waiter or waitress.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2005 6
6.gif
4:59 PM
Author: yellowfan
Ame, Layne, and Patty,

We should compare notes on dining out. My sis in law and her husband try all the new spots each weekend so I can talk to them too. My Dh went to the melting pot and didn''t like it. Sams St. Louis Steakhouse is a favorite for taking guests to dinner, they have the best peppercorn steaks. Have any of you went to the local mexican places here? My dear friend owns a couple of those. I was trying to think of the last new place we went, Texas Roadhouse and it was ok, DH didn''t like it, daughter and I loved it- we had salmon. He had the steak and thought they were not good.

Lori-yellowfan
Texas Roadhouse is kind of like Long HOrn and Lone Star. When I lived in PA theywere everywhere. Never really wowwed me.

I have never been to NachoMama''s but today we went through Rock HIll (stopped at Rock Hill Jewelry Associates too and was told not to change my ring one bit unless I want engraving) and I was hoping NachoMama''s had a takeout menu.

I live 2 miles east of Sam''s Steakhouse and it is FAN-TASTIC but obscenely expensive (entrees are about 25+ each).

Ive been to Melting Pot for dessert--it is divine.

Glad there are so many locals!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
We just hate bad service. In general we stick with small, family owned restuarants, and we enjoy getting to know the owners and regulars. But, we too have had our share of restaruant problems.

During one of those evenings where it took what seemed like an eternity to get our food, my husband came up with an idea for a tip meter he has yet to patent.
2.gif
It will be a little box that would sit predominantly on the edge of the table where the wait-person can easily see it. The meter starts with a basic 18%. The meter is easily clicked up or down in say 3% increments based on the performance of the wait-person. That way they can adjust their performance accordingly, and there will be no surprises at the end.
1.gif

It''s a silly little joke betwen my husband and me. Whenever we are at a restaurant and not happy with our service, he always asks me "where''s that darn tip meter when I need it."
31.gif

DiamondLil

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Ame-
I am 7 miles from Sams Steakhouse.

Patty-
I am gonna try Nacho Mamas sounds great.
21.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went to Nachomama''s last night. We just felt like trying it after driving by yesterday. The line was insane, and we had to sit outside till our chips and cheese dip were done because there were no tables and *******s would come in, grab whatever possible empty tablethere was even without ordering first so that people whose food orders were ready would have to stand there with their food till something opened. Made me so angry. We got our food and then grabbed one of the 3 tables that opened up by then and scarfed.

We both had those tex platters...not bad but really expensive for the portions. I was a bit surprised. I wanted a margarita but didn''t end up goign for it. I got Fresca ;-)

The chili con queso is probably the best I have ever had and the chips are awesome.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
Have you been to Il Vicinio - brickoven pizza - or City Coffeehouse - delicious crepes! Both in Clayton and overpriced but soo yummy.

And I must know what jewelers you would recommend in the area. I would love to find a great place to shop and possilbly work!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I found Genovese good in Creve Coeur but they are really anti-platinum. I think Elleard B. Heffern is supposed to be fantastic as is Kodner in Brentwood. Another one that I hear is fantastic is Rock HIll Jewelery Associates on Manchester in the Rock Hill dip. Its across from C&A printing and Schillers. They supposedly have the hand engraver that all the other local shops use and the "best platinumsmith" in St. Louis and Mike Matheny and Pujols both use them for their stuff.

My friend Mitchell uses Curt Parker on Lindbergh at Conway who is also apparently phenomenal. And if I am exacting and anal he is like...a million times worse. So if he likes the guy he has to be good.

My folks like the Diamond Shop in Clayton. I find them to be abrasive and shady.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2005 6
6.gif
8:36 PM
Author: Patty
Icekid, where did you go to college...Wash U?
yep, I am a proud Wash U alumni
9.gif
my friends and I are thinking about heading back for a weekend just to hang out, even though none of us still live in St. Louis. I live in downtown Philadelphia and I really miss Wash U''s gorgeous grass and tree-filled campus. I still think it''s the most beautiful campus I have ever seen...

Layne- I really like Il Vicino- yum!! I didn''t think it was tooo pricey though??

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its a little steep.

You might like campus there kid but the area surrounding it is all torn up. Skinker and Forest Park Parkway and Lindell are all...just torn to shreds.

Speaking of downthere...we went yesterday hoping for a lunch at Mirasol. We get down there to find a note on the door saying they were closed for lunch. I tried calling to bitch last night and no one answered the phone. I was peeeeeeeessed.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Ame, I''m sorry you got Nachomamas when they were so crowded. Friday and Saturday evenings around 7 are the worst! And yes, the people grabbing tables thing really bothers me too. I think the owner should put up a sign about it. Maybe I''ll mention it to him.

Layne, I go to Copernicus here in Webster. They are a small shop that does a lot of custom work. My brother loves Simon in Clayton. He knows the owner.

icekid, I''m also a Wash U. alum. And yes, the thing I miss the most about my time there is the campus. I don''t think it gets any better. My nephew graduated in 2003. He was a business or engineering major and worked in the computer lab. Do you know him? lol

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 6:40:44 PM
Author: Patty

icekid, I''m also a Wash U. alum. And yes, the thing I miss the most about my time there is the campus. I don''t think it gets any better. My nephew graduated in 2003. He was a business or engineering major and worked in the computer lab. Do you know him? lol
Patty- cool!! what did you study?? always fun to meet someone else who went there... I do student interviews for my med school now, and i randomly got a girl who is a senior now at Wash U! it was so fun to talk with her about campus and things that have changed in the last couple years. every time my friends see pictures of the school (usually the front- Brookings) they say oooh you went to school at a castle! haha I love it.

ame- that''s too bad about everything being torn up around there now. I haven''t been there in about a year and a half and I do remember all of the talk about the construction that was about to start. I guess I still get to remember it being pretty!

babblingal

Shiny_Rock

Here is a list of the places we frequented during our time in the STL area. They are a bit heavy on the "Ethnic", I think this happened because we moved to the STL area from Wichita Kansas where ethnic was few and far between so we had to make up for lost time. I had friends and co-workers who were STL natives and continued to provide me with suggestions of places to eat that weren't just Generica chain-type places for the most part. I am also picky about service, so the places I have listed are ones where we also got acceptable service. Hope this helps!

Thai Cafe- The Loop. Actually all of the Thai places on the loop are good and they are run by the same people, they are all closed one day a week, but different days so you can always get in somewhere!

Brandts- The Loop. Nice menu, fun to eat there in warm weather outside and people watch.

Zoe's Pan-Asian- Central West End, our fave place to go before the theatre as you can get in and out quickly even though it is NOT fast food.

Llewllyn's Welsh Bar- Central West End, flank steak sandwich is to die for and if you chase it down with some hard cider, oh, my my!

Pho Grand- South Grand. cheap eats, but doesn't feel like you are in a cheap place.

King and I- South Grand, ask for a table with chairs if you have a back problem.

Curry in a Hurry- a few locations. Good quick food.

Vietnam Star- University City. OMG the hotpots are out of this world!

India Palace- on top of the Howard Johnson's near the Airport. That's right, great Indian food atop a HoJo's! Who'd a thunk it?!

Royal Chinese Bar-B-Que- Olivette, authentic chinese, they just remodeled and did a great job!

Modesto Tappas Bar- The Hill, Sangria is dangerously smooth so be careful because you won't know you are effed up until you stand to leave!

Won Ton King- on Olive in University City, reminds me of the authentic Chinese places in NYC. It ain't nothin' if there isn't a duck hangin' in the window! LOL

Protzel's Deli- Clayton, counter seating only, but the corned beef is so yummy it is worth the trip.

Pita Plus- Chesterfield, go for the hummus!

Provisions- Olive- Creve Coeur, a little pricey for quick bite, but yummy.

Chocolate Bar- only dessert,but worth a trip...at least once a month ; )

Almonds- Clayton, wait staff really understood their selections and wine choices.

J.Bucks- Clayton,but be aware portions are gianormous.

Yen Ching- Brentwood, not authentic Chinese, but decent stuff if you don't want to eat at the mall and you are out shopping.

KC Masterpiece- Chesterfield, outstanding customer service. I know someone who was a waiter there and he said that their wait staff are told that if someone asks for an item that is not on the menu, they need to go out and get it if possible. Their top priority is customer satisfaction. Now THAT is customer service!

Annie Gunns- Chesterfield, worth the schlep out to The Valley.

Thip's Thai- across the river in O'fallon IL and in Belleville IL. Worth the drive!

Oh, and if you want a great haircut, head to D-Zine Hair and Art on The Loop and make an appt with Jeremiah. I am a picky thing about my hair and he did an awesome job with cut and color. I went to him for two of the three years we lived in the area.

As for Jewelers, I am familiar with some of the Kodner family and can vouch for David as a jeweler. I know several people who have used him and been extremely happy. Had I not already redone my rings prior to moving to STL I would not have hesitated using David.
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. That was a great list of reviews. I have been to a few of those places so I can definitely agree. But yougave me so many morei deas.

I have been to D-Zine and I LOVED IT but I followed my girl till she quit and now I use Malia right next to Provisions on Olive.

babblingal

Shiny_Rock
I forgot a couple....

Old Peking in Collinsville, IL.

Houlihan''s in Fairview Heights, IL.

Dierdorf and Harts- Downtown STL.

Andrias everyone raves about, but I thought their prices were out of control for being in O''fallon IL. You can buy their marinade at Dierbergs and make your own steak for a hell of a lot less and if no one in your family smokes, then it''s not a long wait for a table in non-smoking, now is it?
9.gif

Barbeque is a bit tricky because while I liked Super Smokers, my husband did not. Our son LOVED Redz in Illinois, but I have been told the owner sold the place and moved to mexico or the Key''s or some such warmer place.

Smokey Bones in IL was second place for my son and my father likes Bandana''s which is a local chain of bbq places.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bandana''s is the Sh!t.

Ryan and I really like MOnsoon, I mentioned them earlier but we really feel like you get a lot for a really reasonable price and it feels...upscale.

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Has anybody on this thread ever worked as a waiter of waitress? I have, and it is not easy work. It takes alot for me to consider cutting the tip percentage. I usually overtip.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results