shape
carat
color
clarity

Rant: Designed Obsolescence

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My stove died on Thanksgiving weekend.

Then today the dishwasher started making a grinding noise and it won't drain. I bailed it out and checked the drain and the thingy that looks like it could be a filter. No obvious wrongness there. Tried running it again and the same thing happened. So now it's out on the curb waiting for garbage pickup in the morning.

The fridge is making a funny noise, but I kicked it and it stopped. I'm giving it side eye.

We originally called a repair person for the stove and he laughed and said buy a new one. Apparently the replacement part would be $450 plus labor.

These are Whirlpool appliances around 7 years old. They came with the house.

Ok 7 years problem free is decent, but not great and it's weird how they're all dying within a month.

Now I'm torn on how to go about replacing them. It seems like anything below professional grade has issues. You can find online reviews cursing "known problems" with every appliance brand. A friend just had to replace a 2 year old kitchenad fridge and dishwasher. The fridge at my work has been serviced twice and it's a year old. It seems like nothing lasts and everything is expensive.

So for the stove I decided to go as cheap as possible. I found a Samsung gas stove at my local Costco for an amazing price and borrowed a truck from work.

Went expensive with the dishwasher. The Canadian Dollar tanked so even the basic ones are $600-800. Ordered a Miele since they are running a promotion where they include a 5 year warranty with new dishwasher purchases.

Overall not thrilled that I'm spending this much on my kitchen.

Anyone else recently buy new appliances? What did you get? Any recommendations?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
At the risk of sounding like a fist-shaking old lady, "things just aren't made like they used to be!!!" Our 4.5 year old Kenmore stove recently blew a fuse and nearly caused a fire. It was (just barely) still under warranty so Sears sent out a repairman and replaced the parts (fuse plus a part that got melted). If the planned obsolescence had occurred 6 months later we probably would have ended up buying a new stove. The thing is a piece of junk. The door handle has to be tightened about once a year and the door drips condensation and the metal at the bottom of the door is corroding.

What really makes me crazy: more than the fact that nothing is worth repairing anymore, more than the fact that things are flimsily built or even having to replace things frequently, is that we are constantly tossing stuff in landfills.

Things just aren't made like they used to be!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I had a 10 year old Bosch DW in the kitchen that I also replaced around Thanksgiving with another (top) Bosch. Mine did not die--but when I did the math I didn't feel like fixing a minor issue with the old one. Fridge is LG and stove oven is Bosch. Truth is I would have bought a Miele DW but it wouldn't work with my kitchen plumbing config. My sister replaced her (upstairs) dishwasher with a Miele and simply loves it.

My Miele washer and drier were the best purchase(s) I made this year. Ditched my other LG's as I was sick of the smell. Yet were relatively new.

It might be just me, but I like new appliances and since the task of cooking etc in the kitchen falls to me, I want nice stuff that works well.

cheers--Sharon

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7 years old :-o wow thats crazy....my old fridge that i just got rid of last year was 20 years old, my stove was 15 years old, dishwasher is 11 years old, washer 20 years old and dryer is about 8 years old...I guess I got lucky lol.....all of them still work but we did upgrade the stove, fridge and microwave last year, we got LG appliances..so far so good.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just replaced our dishwasher (kenmore). It still worked but it sounded like a train going through our family room and some
of the coating on the racks had worn down to metal (well, I should say rust). We chose to replace it. It was 15 years old.
I think that's a good length of time so I'm not complaining. Replaced it with a Boshe. I was really hating at first because it
was leaving gunk on the dishes and part of the bottom rack is spaced so tightly you can hardly fit anything into the slots
(we've ended up putting plastic lids in those slots). I would have rated it 2 stars early on but it seems to be working better so
I'll move it up to 3 maybe 4.

The fridge, flattop stove and oven (all Kenmores) are also 15 years old. The only other thing we have had to replace is the
microwave. Loved the old one but it gave up the ghost. We now have a Kenmore which works fine but I hate the buzzing
alarm system on it.

All and all I think we've been pretty lucky. I think the fridge will be the next to go. I can see a little bit of rust developing under
the water dispenser.

My Mom went through about 3 ovens in the same time frame (15 years). She just couldnt get a decent one that worked right.
They kept sending out repairmen that would work on them and say they worked great but then a month later...she would be
having problems again. They wasted a lot of money to finally get something that worked! There should be a lemon law!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put in a new kitchen last November/December.

The oven would turn itself off every time you tried to broil anything. Apparently the broiler mechanism cracking is a common problem -- "happens all the time in shipping" according to the repair person. Fixed now and seems to work OK.

The freezer started making a clicking noise in May. The repair people have no idea why and their advice was (I kid you not) "I guess you're just going to have to live with it." I did get an additional three year warranty out of them because I'm convinced this SOB is going to go on me.

The saga of the wine fridge... The first one was awesome. Stylistically exactly what I wanted and virtually silent (good if you live in one big open room like it do). Well the reason it was silent was that it wasn't working properly. So they replaced that with the next generation that looked nothing like the old one and sounded like a 747 landing in my kitchen when it cycled on and off (bad if you live in one big open room like it do), which happened every three minutes (yes, I timed it all night long for two nights in a row as I lay awake wondering if I should start taking air traffic control lessons). I unplugged it and bought a different brand (to the tune now of almost two grand). It's not silent but at least I don't feel like I'm living on a runway at O'Hare. The style does nothing for me but I don't care any more. And the problem with this one: No matter what you set the control at it is 48 degrees inside. Too warm for my whites, too cool for my reads. So they are coming out to replace the thermostat. All this trauma/drama for a purely ancillary appliance.

The refrigerator in my grandmother's kitchen worked fine FOR MORE THAN FIFTY YEARS. And the microwave that my grandfather bought in 1976 still does what it was designed to do. The crap we buy now? Kapput in no time at all...

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
According to some of my friends with new homes, appliances don't last 5 years now. Apparently it's normal to need warranty repair.

Shiny and new is exciting, but calling the repair man ad spending more on something that already cost way too much isn't.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought all new appliances about 3 years ago I think. So far, we're ready to ditch the LG fridge. We had a problem with our Kitchenaid dw where it leaked and ruined the ceiling below it. Our Whirpool dryer (5 years old now) had to have it's mother board replaced, and it's never been totally right since. The oven works well but we hate it. But knocking on wood we don't have to replace anything for several more years!!

We were looking at replacing one of the bathroom light fixtures. It started with just looking for a clear incandescent bulb to replace the burnt out one. Couldn't find a single one. All CF or LED. Replaced the bulbs with LED. Can't be dimmed. Replaced the bulbs with more expensive LED's that can be dimmed. Looked at new LED fixtures. Apparently they are made with built in LED lights that you can't replace. So now you buy light fixtures that you have to ditch after the bulbs burn out? I give up! :shifty:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1449256665|3957501 said:
We bought all new appliances about 3 years ago I think. So far, we're ready to ditch the LG fridge. We had a problem with our Kitchenaid dw where it leaked and ruined the ceiling below it. Our Whirpool dryer (5 years old now) had to have it's mother board replaced, and it's never been totally right since. The oven works well but we hate it. But knocking on wood we don't have to replace anything for several more years!!

We were looking at replacing one of the bathroom light fixtures. It started with just looking for a clear incandescent bulb to replace the burnt out one. Couldn't find a single one. All CF or LED. Replaced the bulbs with LED. Can't be dimmed. Replaced the bulbs with more expensive LED's that can be dimmed. Looked at new LED fixtures. Apparently they are made with built in LED lights that you can't replace. So now you buy light fixtures that you have to ditch after the bulbs burn out? I give up! :shifty:

Ugh, you shouldn't have to do any service on appliances that are 3 years old!

When our washing machine died I asked for an old school top loader with dials and knobs. No display, wavetouch keypad, or whatever the fancy new ones have. I don't need to program my washer for specific clothing. I'll turn the knob to delicates if I need to, otherwise it stays on medium. My laundry doesn't need to be smart.

The sales people seemed to think I was nuts. The one I ended up with says for commercial use on the top. Meh, it's not pretty, but it's in my laundry room so who cares?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom still has original fridge and stove from the house when it was built - the almondey coloured ones. From the 70s. They aren't very pretty, not very efficient, but they are still working. She has an older dryer, and though I remember we had to repair the drum and rubber beltsit's still going fine!

When I purchased my new house we got to pick out our appliances. We have all Samsung. So far so good. Except the dishwasher. I hate it, because nothing ever gets super clean. Plates and bowls are fine, but my glasses are all gunky. usually come out dirtier than when they go in!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
The house we just bought came with what I assume is the original dishwasher, a new-ish oven, and no fridge. We bought a Samsung fridge and I am hoping to replace the dishwasher soon. The oven is LG and convection. It's my first time with convection and I love it.

I want this dishwasher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7veKFnwrl8

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1449257697|3957506 said:
The house we just bought came with what I assume is the original dishwasher, a new-ish oven, and no fridge. We bought a Samsung fridge and I am hoping to replace the dishwasher soon. The oven is LG and convection. It's my first time with convection and I love it.

I want this dishwasher.

If your Samsung fridge has an ice maker, french doors, and a bottom freezer keep an eye on the bottom right crisper and the ice maker. With the one at work, the ice maker jams and then the motor overheats and dies. The crisper gets water on the bottom. Apparently the crisper thing is a known problem with many of their models.

Eta: work dishwasher is a GE Profile with automatic soap dispenser. The soap dispenser died after about six months. Overall the dishwasher is OK, I just wouldn't bother with that particular feature.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1449258096|3957508 said:
amc80|1449257697|3957506 said:

I want this dishwasher.

If your Samsung fridge has an ice maker, french doors, and a bottom freezer keep an eye on the bottom right crisper and the ice maker. With the one at work, the ice maker jams and then the motor overheats and dies. The crisper gets water on the bottom. Apparently the crisper thing is a known problem with many of their models.

Ours is just a side-by-side with the door-in-door. But that you for that! That type is the one we wanted, but we needed counter depth and had limited options.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Your Appliance is a computer.
You probably wouldn't expect your laptop to last more than 5 years, so you shouldn't expect much more from your stove or fridge. Sad but true.

And if you think about it a dryer or stove and a computer are comparable in price.

When I have done research, the best brands are as follows:
Bosch
Miele
Samsung

Kitchenaid and GE are absolute avoids

YMMV with any other brand.

(I feel like the anecdotal evidence in this thread supports the research)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
chemgirl|1449206560|3957305 said:
The fridge is making a funny noise, but I kicked it and it stopped. I'm giving it side eye.
find the coils and compressor and vacuum them out right away. Then do this every 6 months.
You can do a google search of the model # to find out where to clean.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
lead free solder is major reason there are so many problems and they don't last as long
It is brittle and gets worse with age and heat then cracks with vibration.
The other is that everything is just designed beefy enough to work not 5x more like in the old days. Keeping it cool by keeping it clean will go a long way towards extending its life.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes. This thread is scaring me. My appliances are all 9-years old as of next month and I am not in any hurry to have to replace them. So far, all is well. (knocking on wood)

All are Frigidaire. Probably were mid-range models at the time.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
purplesparklies|1449265021|3957570 said:
Yikes. This thread is scaring me. My appliances are all 9-years old as of next month and I am not in any hurry to have to replace them. So far, all is well. (knocking on wood)

All are Frigidaire. Probably were mid-range models at the time.
2006ish is when most everything switched over to lead free solder so you might be lucky you bought when you did.
The first few years of the switch over were the worst but it has never got back to what it was before.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Karl_K said:
2006ish is when most everything switched over to lead free solder so you might be lucky you bought when you did.
The first few years of the switch over were the worst but it has never got back to what it was before.

Woot! That is excellent to hear. Thank you so much. :)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1449264468|3957565 said:
chemgirl|1449206560|3957305 said:
find the coils and compressor and vacuum them out right away. Then do this every 6 months.
You can do a google search of the model # to find out where to clean.

Thanks will do!!!!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
This thread makes me sad. I dread the day I have to buy new appliances.

My dishwasher is a Kitchenaid Superba by Hobart - from 1974. It looks terrible but works great!

I also own an apartment building. They are beautiful units but the kitchens are very small. The stove/ovens are over 50 years old and still work incredibly well. I've never replaced them because they are a special size. Thank goodness I never have - I'm sure whatever I would have replaced them with would have crapped out a few times over. They are GE.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1449270072|3957601 said:
This thread makes me sad. I dread the day I have to buy new appliances.

My dishwasher is a Kitchenaid Superba by Hobart - from 1974. It looks terrible but works great!

I also own an apartment building. They are beautiful units but the kitchens are very small. The stove/ovens are over 50 years old and still work incredibly well. I've never replaced them because they are a special size. Thank goodness I never have - I'm sure whatever I would have replaced them with would have crapped out a few times over. They are GE.

The lab at work uses old Hobart kitchen equipment from ages ago. It is amazing stuff and works perfectly. I want to theive the stand mixer even though I know I use it to mix chemicals.

I hope you get another 20 years out of yours!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1449247254|3957446 said:
We just replaced our dishwasher (kenmore). It still worked but it sounded like a train going through our family room and some
of the coating on the racks had worn down to metal (well, I should say rust). We chose to replace it. It was 15 years old.
I think that's a good length of time so I'm not complaining. Replaced it with a Boshe. I was really hating at first because it
was leaving gunk on the dishes and part of the bottom rack is spaced so tightly you can hardly fit anything into the slots
(we've ended up putting plastic lids in those slots). I would have rated it 2 stars early on but it seems to be working better so
I'll move it up to 3 maybe 4.

The fridge, flattop stove and oven (all Kenmores) are also 15 years old. The only other thing we have had to replace is the
microwave. Loved the old one but it gave up the ghost. We now have a Kenmore which works fine but I hate the buzzing
alarm system on it.

All and all I think we've been pretty lucky. I think the fridge will be the next to go. I can see a little bit of rust developing under
the water dispenser.

My Mom went through about 3 ovens in the same time frame (15 years). She just couldnt get a decent one that worked right.
They kept sending out repairmen that would work on them and say they worked great but then a month later...she would be
having problems again. They wasted a lot of money to finally get something that worked! There should be a lemon law!

IM SO GLAD you posted that about your Bosch. I just got mine and I hate it (my fault).
Who cares about washing service for 24, I want to run some bowls and glasses and maybe even a POT in one load! :twisted: Nope, no can do, tines so tight you are outta luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results