shape
carat
color
clarity

Random Thoughts

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are expecting a little snow tonight. I wonder if it will kill many flowers. They are all perennials.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tomorrow I get fitted for my first crown, not the fun kind. I’m considering asking if they can put a diamond in it, would probably be the closest I ever come to a diamond studded crown ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is yet another animal(s) I am worried about.
A wild fox on the beach who I just found out has five newborn babies! :(

How can she survive on the beach with five babies? What is she eating? After she nurses her babies what will they eat? Will they survive?

I spoke to my sister about this (she's a veterinarian) and her best advice to me was do nothing. She said definitely do not contact any authorities because they will "euthanize" her. :(

But that is not in my DNA to do nothing. She has five vulnerable babies and I want them to survive. I know nature can be cruel and if there is anything I can do I want to do it. But if the best thing I can do for Fiona and her babies is nothing then nothing I will do. Just trying to figure out what is best.

I have named her Fiona. She is a beauty.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 5.58.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 7.26.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.03.03 AM.png

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
There is yet another animal(s) I am worried about.
A wild fox on the beach who I just found out has five newborn babies! :(

How can she survive on the beach with five babies? What is she eating? After she nurses her babies what will they eat? Will they survive?

I spoke to my sister about this (she's a veterinarian) and her best advice to me was do nothing. She said definitely do not contact any authorities because they will "euthanize" her. :(

But that is not in my DNA to do nothing. She has five vulnerable babies and I want them to survive. I know nature can be cruel and if there is anything I can do I want to do it. But if the best thing I can do for Fiona and her babies is nothing then nothing I will do. Just trying to figure out what is best.

I have named her Fiona. She is a beauty.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 5.58.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 7.26.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.03.03 AM.png

They are truly beautiful and soulful animals..

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sister is probably not wrong @missy because she's in close proximity to humans she could be euthanized. You'd have to contact a no kill rescue that handles foxes that will maybe trap and rehabilitate.

If there are small rodents around, rabbits, etc. they'll eat. they will also scavenge whatever they can.

Be very careful about being or getting near her. I'm concerned with her being out in the open like that. How does her coat look? if she looks ratty, don't go near her, call to have her taken care of because she could have rabies.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
... I'm concerned with her being out in the open like that...

I thought that was strange too. You'd think a wild animal, especially one with babies, would be more cautious than that. I wondered if she was sick too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sister is probably not wrong @missy because she's in close proximity to humans she could be euthanized. You'd have to contact a no kill rescue that handles foxes that will maybe trap and rehabilitate.

If there are small rodents around, rabbits, etc. they'll eat. they will also scavenge whatever they can.

Be very careful about being or getting near her. I'm concerned with her being out in the open like that. How does her coat look? if she looks ratty, don't go near her, call to have her taken care of because she could have rabies.

I thought that was strange too. You'd think a wild animal, especially one with babies, would be more cautious than that. I wondered if she was sick too.

Thanks for your concern @Arcadian and @seaurchin.

Fiona looks good. When we got there today there was a young man there with the 2 women I had spoken with yesterday and he said she is eating well. She eats rabbits and rodents and in fact he showed me a photo of her with a rabbit in her mouth. I am relieved she is eating well and that her babies are so far A OK.

We had brought food for her but after chatting with the young man I agree with him as long as she is catching prey and eating well we shouldn't intervene. I am hoping very much that she remains well and her babies remain healthy and well.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 4.05.54 PM.png

Turns out that foxes on the beach (at least at the jersey shore) is not at all unusual and there are foxes up and down the shore. Learned something new today! :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I love how you named the fox :D

@YadaYadaYada how'd did your crown turn out? Embarrassingly, I have a gold crown :loopy:

Thanks for asking, today was the temporary crown and I go back in two weeks for the permanent one. I was actually reading today that gold crowns are better for people with bruxism which I’ve head for over 20 years now.

So a gold crown is not a bad thing! I am getting a porcelain one though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
We have foxes in our neighborhood in the Midwest. They wander around during daytime areas if they feel safe in their territory. I was worried too when I saw one out during the day, but it does not mean they are diseased. It is normal.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for your concern @Arcadian and @seaurchin.

Fiona looks good. When we got there today there was a young man there with the 2 women I had spoken with yesterday and he said she is eating well. She eats rabbits and rodents and in fact he showed me a photo of her with a rabbit in her mouth. I am relieved she is eating well and that her babies are so far A OK.

We had brought food for her but after chatting with the young man I agree with him as long as she is catching prey and eating well we shouldn't intervene. I am hoping very much that she remains well and her babies remain healthy and well.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 4.05.54 PM.png

Turns out that foxes on the beach (at least at the jersey shore) is not at all unusual and there are foxes up and down the shore. Learned something new today! :)

I'm glad she's well. But def. don't feed her, let her do her wild thing because you don't want her losing her natural fear of humans.

@seaurchin many years ago I got chased by a really ginormous raccoon in the middle of the day. It was clearly rabid and, even though I carry, I do NOT want to blow away an animal unless I have no other choice. I was able to get inside of a building and have someone call animal control. They found it about a week later but it was already pretty far gone.

Certain animals keep away from humans which is my concern with Fiona Fox.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck to Fiona fox
we don't have foxes or rabbies here - we have lots of rabbits instead
Ive seen a fox at Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin's zoo in Queensland) they look so beautiful

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im worried about the pain in @YadaYadaYada 's back pocket

The dental bills this past month have been killer. I told my son (who just had his first cavity filled) that if he doesn’t do a better job brushing he is paying for the next one himself!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for asking, today was the temporary crown and I go back in two weeks for the permanent one. I was actually reading today that gold crowns are better for people with bruxism which I’ve head for over 20 years now.

I have all of my molars crowned. I've ground them my entire life until they finally cracked.
I have porcelain with gold posts and zirconium. They've held up just fine.
It is highway robbery how much they charge!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The dental bills this past month have been killer. I told my son (who just had his first cavity filled) that if he doesn’t do a better job brushing he is paying for the next one himself!

We have free dental care till we are 18
then bamb !
It just hurts all over !

Gary blames his bad teeth on 10 years living out in the country with an unfloridated water supply

Best of luck getring your son into good habbits
When i was a kid they had school dental nurses for primary and intermediate school (at high school we went to mum and dad's dentist)
We used to call the little building the dental nurse worked out of the murder house

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have two of these kinds of 'crowns'.
They cost too much out of pocket and no one will ever see them except the dentist anyway.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two of these kinds of 'crowns'.
They cost too much out of pocket and no one will ever see them except the dentist anyway.

I just figured it’s a little extra for someone when I die. Of course I would have to specify which son gets which gold crown. That’s all I need is them arguing over me in the casket with a pair of pliers!

Another reason to go porcelain.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just figured it’s a little extra for someone when I die. Of course I would have to specify which son gets which gold crown. That’s all I need is them arguing over me in the casket with a pair of pliers!

Another reason to go porcelain.

Mine are porcelain. I don't think they make gold ones anymore.
One is very slowly cracking off bit by bit, so it's only a matter of time till the dentist demands another $500 from me!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are porcelain. I don't think they make gold ones anymore.
One is very slowly cracking off bit by bit, so it's only a matter of time till the dentist demands another $500 from me!!

I’m taking up too much of this thread with this crown but I just wanted to say it is crazy what they charge. Thank goodness we have dental insurance but still this crown is $500 out of pocket. Crazy!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Foxes on the beach!!! How weird. It does seem that the family would be better off in the woods, since surely there must be much greater food and shelter there. Is there an animal charity that can re-home them?

ETA: Surely there is also no water for them to drink? They need fresh water, like streams and rivers and lakes. I don't think they can drink seawater. Missy, maybe you should put bowls of fresh water out for them.

I'm itching to relocate this family to a nice woodland somewhere, where they have shade, fresh water, and rich sources of food.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Foxes on the beach!!! How weird.
Here are some interesting fox facts I have compiled FYI.

"The fox is part of the local ecosystem and a natural inhabitant of New Jersey's barrier islands. The fox is a member of the canine family and poses much less of a threat to humans than coyote (similar to an average dog); therefore there is no cause for alarm from the public."

"There's plenty of food for them. Foxes like to eat crustaceans, ghost crabs, and they will hunt them at night. They also occasionally den high in the dunes where the sea grass roots hold the sand in place. Normally, foxes are found in open areas, including the beach. ... Foxes are most often seen along the dunes, Spiker said, where they hunt and keep their dens.

Although foxes are considered an opportunistic feeder, certain species have to modify their meal preferences depending on the season.

Red foxes and Fennec foxes are two examples where diets tend to change seasonally.
Regardless of if you live in the snow, or in the desert, the atmosphere can drastically change. In these environments, it is essential to adapt and find abundant prey in order to survive.
"

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I’m taking up too much of this thread with this crown but I just wanted to say it is crazy what they charge. Thank goodness we have dental insurance but still this crown is $500 out of pocket. Crazy!

I don't think you're taking up too much of the thread at all. :)

I am getting a deep cleaning, which I've put off for some time, and was just told it will cost over $500 because I have to go to a periodontist for it. I'll be a new patient so I'll need X-rays blah blah blah. If I start getting a deep cleaning every three months as is recommended, it will cost less than that for a whole year's worth of appointments. I don't have dental insurance because I never seemed to come out ahead on it anyway. I am so tired of flossing two or three times a day and still having my gums hurt that I'd probably pay $5,000 right now. All I really care about is that I will get the nitrous oxide, because I'm a giant baby (which is why I've put it off for far too long). Good luck with your crown.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin, my husband had to do those deep cleanings, his were done one quadrant at a time. Since then he has been able to go back to regular cleanings. Hopefully it is the same for you. I have only had nitrous once but it makes unpleasant procedures so much more tolerable. I do hope that you find relief.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Deep teeth cleanings are the worst. My dentist uses this power washing tool and it feels like my gums are being stabbed!

@seaurchin Do you like eating uni? It's one of my favorite things to eat!! Sooo tasty, salty, and luxurious!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Margarita lunch tomorrow. Friday is too far away.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad she's well. But def. don't feed her, let her do her wild thing because you don't want her losing her natural fear of humans.

@seaurchin many years ago I got chased by a really ginormous raccoon in the middle of the day. It was clearly rabid and, even though I carry, I do NOT want to blow away an animal unless I have no other choice. I was able to get inside of a building and have someone call animal control. They found it about a week later but it was already pretty far gone.

Certain animals keep away from humans which is my concern with Fiona Fox.

Yes exactly this - getting too close and letting them build positive associations with humans (i.e. humans = food) will spell her doom if someone less kind and patient encounters a more-bold-than-normal fox (or in what sounds TERRIFYING - like the example with the raccoon - she actually aggresses)

You actually want her to be trepidatious with people.

I am glad to hear though that miss Fiona is faring well and finding food!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results