shape
carat
color
clarity

Random question: What do you make of this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We''re hosting a bridal shower at work. I volunteered to collect money towards a group gift. We have a card for those that contribute to sign so that the bride knows who to thank.

A side story that also goes along with this story: there was another bridal shower maybe 3 weeks back (different department). The shower invitation requested that everyone donate a minimum of $20 in order to attend to cover food and the group gift. My boss and coworker (both males) were poking fun that they would solicit money without letting people just contribute what they want.

Ok, so this bride that I''m collecting for is our department administrative assistant. Even though the invite was sent to all of Finance I think its particularly nice if we all contribute because our admin is awesome. We don''t have to worry about doing the little things that most people take for granted (booking travel, sending letters, scheduling meetings, etc) plus she does a birthday cake for each of our birthdays.

Here''s the weird scenario that I need your interpretation on:

My boss as he''s walking over to my desk: I like this party because we don''t have to pay for anything.

Me: Yeah, its nice that "CFO" is going to charge it to his cost center.

Boss: No I mean that we don''t have to pay the minimum like with that other bridal shower.

Me: Oh yeah
3.gif

Boss: Ok well I wanted to sign the card

He signs the card and then walks away. No contribution. I never thought to ask if he was contributing because I just assumed he would. So now I have his signature on the card that is going towards the gift but he didn''t give any money for that gift. Should I casually ask him if he''s going to contribute? I suppose its not a big deal but its kind of weird.

33.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Wow, he sounds like the dozens of people I have worked with that want credit for doing nothing.

Since he''s your boss, I''d let it go. I''m sure your admin knows him and his tricks already.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Either make the guidelines clear as to what is expected, or get a different card saying: And this is from the people who paid for the gift. And let only those people sign it.

Although if the only problem is from your cheap ass boss then you mightn''t be reduced to such measures
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How often does your office host parties where people are expected to contribute? I think it''s insanely rude of your boss if there are only a few parties a year like that.

I think people get burnt out when being continually asked to contribute.

Anyway, I''d let it go.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 11:53:11 AM
Author: MC
How often does your office host parties where people are expected to contribute? I think it''s insanely rude of your boss if there are only a few parties a year like that.

I think people get burnt out when being continually asked to contribute.

Anyway, I''d let it go.
We haven''t had one in a while. We had that one three weeks ago but we were invited to it because we''ve worked with her in the past. She''s in an entire different department (Construction/Development).

I think I''ll let it go as you ladies said. It''s just weird LOL.

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
He''s a dude, so maybe he thought that the gift was also being charged to the cost center? Maybe he actually thought that he didn''t need to contribute because EVERYTHING was being paid for by the CFO?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I had to read your post twice to understand the confusion and I would not have made a donation also; thinking it was not required. He did check with you and you said yeah.

I would either pay his contribution myself or let it slide. He will probably work it out in the end and if he does not I would not embarass him.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing he thinks that it is not required to pay for anything, but he still wanted to wish her well. A lot of people don''t think it is necessary to pay for anything for a co-worker... that whole biz/pleasure thing... so maybe he thought it would just be paid for by the CFO, sign the card, and no "donation" required.

I''d just let it slide. Most of the time, men don''t even go to showers anyway.. so they don''t get all the hooplah... ESPECIALLY in the workplace.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Sorry that the previous party made it like you had a minimum to contribute, as I think that''s tacky.

However, that is a separate issue from a card that is given to the bride-to-be from the office. While it''s nice to think that everyone would contribute, an office gift (or gifts, or shower, whatever) card should be able to be signed by anyone in the office, not just those who gave money. You can make personal judgements, but there is actually nothing inappropriate about him signing. Gift giving and card signing should not be forced.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Oh I totally get what you are saying PP.

The admins here usually give two cards, one with those that contributed a gift and one with those that just want to say best wishes. I guess I''m just used to signing whichever card depending on whether I contribute or not. But you are right that it isn''t inappropriate for him to sign the card.

As for the cost center issue...we were talking about the cake/fruit/cheese because usually the contributions go towards the food as well but since this is an admin, the CFO charged the food to his cost center (he doesn''t approve of catered events).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results