color
clarity

Random pictures/stories of our furbabies

• Thread starter Deactivated member 42515
  • Start date

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for thinking of us last week. Still feeling pretty gutted about the whole thing, but we've at least progressed to the point of being able to look at photos without crying. She was diagnosed about two years ago, and for most of those two years she was asymptomatic - tubby and loving. She progressed to "kidney disease" last November, and we started giving her subq fluids once a week... In December we added a phosphate binder, by January she'd dropped a full pound (from 8.5 to 7.5) and her regimen increased to include an appetite stimulant, another phosporous binding agent, nausea medication, anti-ulcer medication, blood pressure medication, and 150ml subq daily. By end of February she'd lost yet another pound and behavioural changes were becoming noticeable - lethargic, shorting most of her jumps, refusing food.

The vet noticed she was breathing a bit strangely during her checkup Saturday. We hadn't noticed this before, so added it to the list to keep an eye on... By Tuesday she was heaving and wheezing even whilst lying down, and we made an appointment to get her looked at. She'd been wetting the bed regularly for a couple of weeks - I didn't like her sleeping on me because getting up at 3am to shower and change the bedding made me so cranky... DH was much more patient with her. I knew we didn't have tons more time, but I assumed we had a few months, and I really didn't believe him when he said that there was a chance she wouldn't come home from that Wednesday vet appointment. Tuesday night she insisted on sleeping on top of me - I shoved her away a couple of times, she came back, I gave in. She knew I would. She didn't have a single accident Tuesday night.

Wednesday's diagnosis - lungs filled with fluid. Phosporous up. Creatinine up. Too much stool in intestine. Possible cancer. Vet's comment was that whilst they could drain her lungs, it would be an uncomfortable process, and there were very real concerns about her quality of life. Apparently the vet was crying. DH was crying. I was crying in the damn lyft. I still can't believe I took the risk of staying too late at work to make it to her appointment - who does that? Who in his right mind prioritizes work over going to a beloved pet's possibly-last appointment? I just refused to believe that it could be her last and I will forever regret that.

The worst part of all of it isn't even that I wasn't there to say goodbye. It's imagining DH having to drive home alone with an empty carrier. I know how I'd have felt - heartbroken doesn't begin to cover it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @yssie , my heart is breaking for you. It's such a difficult thing to watch a beloved pet die, and coming to terms with it. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that the years of love and happiness that you gave her aren't negated by the way things happened in the end. Please try to forgive yourself.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Oy im so sorry to hear! It’s heart breaking every time. She sounds like she was so well loved.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for thinking of us last week. Still feeling pretty gutted about the whole thing, but we've at least progressed to the point of being able to look at photos without crying. She was diagnosed about two years ago, and for most of those two years she was asymptomatic - tubby and loving. She progressed to "kidney disease" last November, and we started giving her subq fluids once a week... In December we added a phosphate binder, by January she'd dropped a full pound (from 8.5 to 7.5) and her regimen increased to include an appetite stimulant, another phosporous binding agent, nausea medication, anti-ulcer medication, blood pressure medication, and 150ml subq daily. By end of February she'd lost yet another pound and behavioural changes were becoming noticeable - lethargic, shorting most of her jumps, refusing food.

The vet noticed she was breathing a bit strangely during her checkup Saturday. We hadn't noticed this before, so added it to the list to keep an eye on... By Tuesday she was heaving and wheezing even whilst lying down, and we made an appointment to get her looked at. She'd been wetting the bed regularly for a couple of weeks - I didn't like her sleeping on me because getting up at 3am to shower and change the bedding made me so cranky... DH was much more patient with her. I knew we didn't have tons more time, but I assumed we had a few months, and I really didn't believe him when he said that there was a chance she wouldn't come home from that Wednesday vet appointment. Tuesday night she insisted on sleeping on top of me - I shoved her away a couple of times, she came back, I gave in. She knew I would. She didn't have a single accident Tuesday night.

Wednesday's diagnosis - lungs filled with fluid. Phosporous up. Creatinine up. Too much stool in intestine. Possible cancer. Vet's comment was that whilst they could drain her lungs, it would be an uncomfortable process, and there were very real concerns about her quality of life. Apparently the vet was crying. DH was crying. I was crying in the damn lyft. I still can't believe I took the risk of staying too late at work to make it to her appointment - who does that? Who in his right mind prioritizes work over going to a beloved pet's possibly-last appointment? I just refused to believe that it could be her last and I will forever regret that.

The worst part of all of it isn't even that I wasn't there to say goodbye. It's imagining DH having to drive home alone with an empty carrier. I know how I'd have felt - heartbroken doesn't begin to cover it.

I think there is a part of our brains that shuts out the possibility that something like that is happening - we can't face it, so we don't. It's human nature, and it's really hard to accept when the end is really near. Please be kind to yourself here and don't beat yourself up - she knew you loved her, even if you weren't with her at the very end. They always know.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
had to let Gretta go today. Kidney disease progressed. Lungs filling with fluid. Not eating. Got her and her brother at six weeks. Almost thirteen years now.
I wasn’t even there. I was in a lyft trying to get back. i think I told her I loved her this morning. I did again on the phone whilst she was at the vet. her dad was there, last thing she did was groom his face.

Im so sorry to read this yssie
Sending you a big hug from Tibby

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Little Shale boy, I just adore your very clean & neat look!
Love love love

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Carly it's going to be a long few weeks.

IMG_7869.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
89233336_10221852789537343_3390441385256550400_o.jpg

Had to share - this is a VERY rare moment, with all three snuggling together. Usually Rhonda (big brown dog) likes her space :love:

i wish our two cats would do that but Her Magisty turns into a hissing snake if he gets to close (generally by pure accident)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so very sorry @yssie, it doesn’t get any easier, no matter how many times you’ve been through it. I’m glad your sweet kitty had such a good long life with you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oliver is like enough with the Cover-19 stuff already. I need some peace and quiet.

and:

What are you all doing home so much? And why can't we invite our kitty friends over? What is social distancing and why are you sitting so close to me then?

Gracie is like let's get dancing because all this sitting around is not good for our health....meowwww

Cmon get off the couch already

and finally, Tommy and Bobby are like cmon already, let us get some much needed beauty rest and stop all this worrying. Just repeat after me, it will be OK...deep breaths...one day at a time...it will be OK!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah I love gracies paws!!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I can’t figure out how to get rid of the duplicate, nor how to post more than one photos. Sorry! :confused::confused::???::confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results