shape
carat
color
clarity

Ran my first half-marathon today!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to share with you all that I ran and completed my first half-marathon this morning!! It was actually a lot of fun, and I will probably do it again next year!
36.gif
36.gif
My family and FI were at the finish line waiting for me...it was AWESOME!!! My cousin and I ran together and though we didn''t finish together, we both finished!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 9:36:03 PM
Author:Blair138
I just wanted to share with you all that I ran and completed my first half-marathon this morning!! It was actually a lot of fun, and I will probably do it again next year!
36.gif
36.gif
My family and FI were at the finish line waiting for me...it was AWESOME!!! My cousin and I ran together and though we didn''t finish together, we both finished!
Awesome and congrats on such an accomplishment!!! You and your cousin rock!!
36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome! Congratulations.
36.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THAT is awesome! Congraulations.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
36.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone!! My legs are sore but it was soooo worth it!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow -- good for you Blair!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blair even when I was in kick-a$$ shape (when I was about 30-31) I never even DREAMED about running a half marathon. A friend of mine tried to convince me to do it, and I was like NO. ahahah

Good for you.

Is this a one-time thing or do you plan on doing another one?

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations. All your hard work paid off!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Blair! What an accomplishment! That''s awesome!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!! I have definitely caught the running bug now, I am looking for more races to run. I think I am going to set my sights on bettering my times for the 5K run. I like running shorter distances now that I have been training so much and it''s helped keep me in fab shape-so I need to keep it up for my wedding next summer! If anyone is considering running a smaller race or a bigger one I HIGHLY recommend it. I use halhigdon.com for training schedules and I love them
9.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what''s a good time for a 5k run?

Do you practice on a threadmill, or outside?

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I ran my second 5K this year in 30 minutes flat. I trained but it was cold on race day and I am NOT a fantastic runner. I''ve read that for your first run you should just aim to finish it, then aim for times. I say 30-35 minutes esp. if it''s your first, then under 30 for more experienced. I usually run outside because I find the concrete is MUCH harder on the knees than the treadmill and breathing is different outside vs. inside. If I absolutely can''t run outside because of the weather then I run inside, but I find it prepares me best outside. Are you going to start training Claudinam???

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is great. My son is a passionate runner, I used to be but cannot any more! That is such an accomplishment!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/1/2008 11:35:32 PM
Author: Blair138
I ran my second 5K this year in 30 minutes flat. I trained but it was cold on race day and I am NOT a fantastic runner. I''ve read that for your first run you should just aim to finish it, then aim for times. I say 30-35 minutes esp. if it''s your first, then under 30 for more experienced. I usually run outside because I find the concrete is MUCH harder on the knees than the treadmill and breathing is different outside vs. inside. If I absolutely can''t run outside because of the weather then I run inside, but I find it prepares me best outside. Are you going to start training Claudinam???
HECK NO. hahahaha

I was just trying to see how slow I really am haahahah I run about 4 miles in about 40 minutes...it''s always a little different, but I think that''s pretty accurate. I definitely used to be faster, but I was never really a great runner to begin with.

And I TOTALLY agree that running outside is COMPLETELY different than running on a threadmill - I try to equalize it a little bit by running at 1.0 elevation, but still - so much more challenging outside. I probably couldn''t do even close to 30 minutes outside now (although I used to be able to do the whole 45).

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your 13.1!!! That''s awesome. Are you eventually going to train for the 26.2, or just work on bettering your 5K? I run the shorter distances, and I love running, the exercise, and the accomplishment you achieved when you completed your run.

A little side-note with running on the treadmill vs. outside. I think running outside is a lot easier than the never-ending treadmill. I enjoy the outside, and there is a lot more to observe than the repetition of the treadmill. I CAN NOT run outside daily, as it does hurt my knees. I throw in the elliptical to my cardio work-outs too to reduce the strain that running can have.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Claudinam you are not slow! haha 10 min miles are a good pace for someone who is not a serious racer (like me).

BeachRunner no 26.2''s yet. I think that maybe in a few years. I definitely want to continue running thought because it keeps me in great shape, I think I''m going to stick with the smaller runs, just to keep myself in training and working towards a goal. But the 13.1 was AWESOME and I will probably do it again next year! AND I agree with running outside because the changing scenery makes it easier. I feel like the 13.1 was kinda fun because it was ALL OVER and I saw tons of new places. We ran through residential with people outside cheering us on, by a river, through town and on a prairie path.

Love2Travel

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!! I''m pretty sure I would die half way through lol.

A friend of mine did a Triatholon 2 weeks ago. .7 mi swim, 20mi bike ride and 5k run. In that order. He was dead tired during the swim lol. But finished strong. He somehow still ran the 5k in 28min after swimming and biking. I am jealous b/c I want to try something like that, but right now I can''t.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, good for you! I''ve always wanted to attempt that but haven''t trained enough yet - I''ve only evern done 10K, so I salute you! :)

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!
36.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!!
36.gif

I caught the running bug a year and a half ago and I''ve run 3 half marathons and a 30k race since! May I HIGHLY recommend that you enter the lottery for the San Francisco Nike Women''s Half Marathon....It was sold out within a day 2 years ago and for the race coming up this October they decided to make it a lottery only. The best part of the race though is the medal at the end............a TIFFANY necklace (handed to you by a gorgeous man in a tuxedo, of course)!!!!! Plus you get to enjoy an amazing city and truly experience the treacherous hills!

I flew down from Toronto with 2 other girlfriends for the race and there must have been at least 3 or 4 other groups of women running the race on the same plane. I could go on forever about how amazing this race is....

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Love2Travel, vespergirl, MMT and sammyj. I have NEVER heard about the Nike Race! OMG I would do it for the medal! haha...I''m a huge Disney freak and they are having an inaugural Princess run next spring through the parks, they also do marathons and other park runs...my life goal is to able to do that one year (registration closes quick and it''s during the school year and I''m a teacher).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results