shape
carat
color
clarity

rainbow jello anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve never made a jello mold before so, i did a trial run of this rainbow jello version for my boyfriend''s niece and nephew''s birthday next week. it was pretty easy but it was really time consuming! basically, there are 6 colors/flavors but each one has 2 separate layers (one clear and one "creamy") and there was a 15 min waiting time for each. all in all, i think it''s totally worth it though...i got totally giddy when i released the bundt pan and saw the rainbow color effect! my first two or three top layers didn''t turn out so well though. first, i couldn''t find grape jello at all! i went to 2 different Giants, 1 Safeway and 2 Targets with no luck. in the end i used some new blackberry/raspberry flavor mix but the color was more dark reddish than purple. i added royal blue Wilton icing color gel (it was all i had) but for whatever reason, it didn''t mix in too well which is why there''s some random blue streaks. there are a bunch of air bubbles in the creamy purple layer which was due to my over-whipping, and i also didn''t let it set enough before i poured in the clear blue layer. oh well, hopefully the one i make for the kids'' birthdays will be better! i haven''t actually tried eat it yet...is that weird? i don''t know, i think since it took so long to make, i don''t want to ruin it now.
3.gif

here''s the link to the recipe i used: http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1595.html
and here''s a link to a really useful picture demo: http://porterhouse.typepad.com/porter_house/2007/07/finally-a-rainb.html

anyone else have any interesting pictures and/or recipes for jello or jello molds? i just find the stuff fascinating...

rjellomold.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
side view

rjellmoldside2.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
i think the kids will really like it...it''s so colorful!

rjellomold2.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
i LOVE it!!!
30.gif
30.gif
its amazing ...great job!!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
WOW..that looks fabulous! I passed the picture onto a gay friend of mine..she thought this would make a fabulous idea for the gay pride event she is planning..you know, anything "rainbow"..she loved it!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 3:34:12 AM
Author: vip0802
i think the kids will really like it...it''s so colorful!
I think so too. It''s really pretty!
36.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!!! That looks awesome, you are so clever vip!! I really really want to make one now
9.gif

Ooooh, rainbow cupcakes!
36.gif
I feel inspired...

soocool

Ideal_Rock
That looks so yummy!

I remember many many years ago Jello actually had a product that separated into layers like that. I guess it was not a big hit because it wasn''t in the stores for very long.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Hee heee! This is really tickling me. It looks like it''s GLOWING.

Those kids are going to LOVE you, you''ll see.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waaaaayyyyy cool!
36.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
there is always room for jello!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Okay that is awesome!

Can I request pics of the next one you make?
19.gif
21.gif
1.gif
Please?
3.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter would LOVE that!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting vip! Only DD and I would eat Jello
3.gif

DSCF4726.JPG

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Same [milk/cherry] layered. I should try the rainbow nowwwwww
30.gif

DSCF4731.JPG

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Coolest jello ever! Maybe I will make this for Friday for my brother - he may be in his thirties, but he will get SUCH a kick out of this!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone for the comments! i should say that my BF and i finally did end up eating some and it was good! i was really curious about the taste since the flavors are all mixed together but, all i can say is that it there really isn't a distinct flavor...it taste like jello.
9.gif
3.gif
i used sour cream in the recipe to make the "creamy" layer and you can't taste it either.
oh! i found this awesome new bundt pan that i'm going to use for the kids' version. i can't wait to see what it'll look like! i'll post pics sometime after the party next week. <--poshpepper
2.gif

beau13 - that's so funny! i showed it to one of my gay friends as well, and now he's going to do rainbow jello shooters for a gay pride party he's having.
36.gif

DandiAndi - aww, thanks! omg, if you do rainbow cupcakes, that would be so cool! and i wanna see them in the cupcake thread (btw, thanks for the comments you left me on that thread too...you're too sweet!)
soocool - yes! i totally remember that! it was called Jello 1-2-3 and i used to LOVE it! apparently, there have been recipes floating around the internet that sort of duplicates that layered look. i think Kraft actually has it on their website and they call it Jello Mousse or something. basically you mix in some Cool Whip and as the Jello sets, it'll separate into 2 layers. i might have to try it to see how it turns out!
Camille - that looks awesome and so delicious! what did you use for the milk gelatin? i might have to try that!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
not to get off topic but wouldn't this bundt pan be awesome for a jello mold?!

NW_55537.jpg

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
or even this one!

heritagebundt.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
VIP--that''s FANTASTIC!!

And that last pan is gorgeous

How cool would a pan in the shape of an actual rainbow be? With some of those chocolate coins at the end of it.
Such a fun b-day party idea
or, as someone else mentioned, a pride-day dessert!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I love the rainbow jello- so pretty! It would have made me HAPPY when I was a kid
9.gif

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 10:59:46 AM
Author: soocool
That looks so yummy!

I remember many many years ago Jello actually had a product that separated into layers like that. I guess it was not a big hit because it wasn''t in the stores for very long.

That jello used to be my favorite when I was a kid! It wasn''t rainbow though, just different shades of red and it had the jello part and then the creamy jello part- mmmm.

And the rainbow jello looks amazing! Very impressive, I''m sure the kids will love it!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 9:09:03 PM
not to get off topic but wouldn''t this bundt pan be awesome for a jello mold?!
That would work, with intricate or deep molds I spray inside with water, freeze for a few minutes, spray pam prior to add the jello.
As for the white jello, that one was:
In a 4C measuring cup- heat 1C water & 1C milk in the microwave, while heating-- mix 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin in 1/2C cold water, when the water/milk mixture is hot, add the gelatin mixture and stir until no more granules are visible. Add 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 1tb vanilla, stir to blend, mold and refrigerate.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here's round 2 of the jello mold for the kids' birthday! i think it came out much better than my trial run. unfortunately, the cool bundt pan i ordered online didn't arrive on time for me to make it, so i just used the same one i had. i also didn't get to go to the party either since i had to work.
38.gif
i gave the BF specific instructions on how to unmold and serve it and he got a few pics of it for me...too bad the only good close up of it was after it got sliced into. still, he said the all the kids and adults were totally lovin' it and it was a huge hit!

n&cmold2.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here's a pic of all the desserts i made for them. i made his nephew a Wall-E cake (i did another post about it Cupcake Thread). BF said they were so in love with their cakes...they almost didn't want anyone to touch except for them!

n&cbdaytreats2.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 11:46:24 PM
Author: Camille
Date: 6/18/2009 9:09:03 PM

not to get off topic but wouldn''t this bundt pan be awesome for a jello mold?!

That would work, with intricate or deep molds I spray inside with water, freeze for a few minutes, spray pam prior to add the jello.

As for the white jello, that one was:

In a 4C measuring cup- heat 1C water & 1C milk in the microwave, while heating-- mix 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin in 1/2C cold water, when the water/milk mixture is hot, add the gelatin mixture and stir until no more granules are visible. Add 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 1tb vanilla, stir to blend, mold and refrigerate.

thanks Camille! i''ll definitely have to try that! it sounds like it would taste so good too...i''m a sucker for sweetened condensed milk. i put it in my coffee, dip bread in it...YUMMY!!!

lili

Ideal_Rock
vip--
the final one looked even better.
such a cool cake.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results