shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick reply needed: Rhodium plating on platinum?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,

I am taking my platinum ring in to the jeweler in an hour so I would really appreciate any quick replies to my question before I leave.

I am having sizing beads added to my e-ring, which is a vintage platinum setting (1940-50's). I called for a quote for the sizing beads and they said they would also rhodium plate the ring after the work has been done. I am wondering if this is actually *truly* necessary, or if they are looking to add another charge.

I really like the deeper tone of the platinum as it is now and am afraid a 'bright shiny new' plating will cheapen the look of the platinum and would rather skip that part of the repair. I prefer unplated white gold and the deep tones of platinum, so am concerned I'll hate my ring if they insist on plating it.

Is there any 'good' reason my ring would 'need' to be plated after a repair? How does rhodium plating affect the look of vintage platinum? Will it wear off quickly?

Any input?

Thanks!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no need really ever for platinum to need plating. It's white.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
There is no reason to plate platinum. Rhodium is in the platinum family and is used to plate white gold to make it white. If they insist then find a new jeweler

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
They want to rhodium plate the area where the beads are soldered to the shank interior. Platinum solder is not really white, usually a really poor colour match.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ame and SB...

So even with the repairs, it should be ok to skip the plating... This is what I thought in the first place, as I had an antique white gold filigree ring and I didn't have that plated either when it was sized and it looked fine after. Cool...and I'll save a few bucks too!

Thanks again! :wavey:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
TheDoctor|1319638953|3047925 said:
They want to rhodium plate the area where the beads are soldered to the shank interior. Platinum solder is not really white, usually a really poor colour match.

Ahhh... Would this be obvious though? Would buffing that area after the soldering help? I just hate the bright shiny plated look. :rolleyes:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
The last time I had mine checked and cleaned, they tried the same stunt. The saleslady really could not understand why I was harping on about NO rhodium. She kept saying, "But it will look shiny and new!" Precisely what I didn't want. Stand firm, no rhodium. A tiny color mismatch on the inside of the ring is better than getting the all-over finish that you don't like.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Justginger...

This may be a tricky job in the first place... My e-ring is just under 2mm in width where I want the beads added...which is actually at the top of the ring. The setting is a 3 stone (1.5 marquise and tapered baguettes) so it's top heavy. The reason I want the beads near the top (at 10:00 and 2:00), is because I would rather the band be lifted up a little bit off my finger, rather than pulled down onto my finger. I plan to wear it with a band and the e-ring sits more flush with the band if it sits up a little higher. So there is a slight chance the soldering would be visible - since I am requesting them to be placed in an unusual place.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Heading out now, wish me luck! I'll update later this afternoon. :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
it can be polished to look shiny and new without being plated for sure!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I'm back! Success! No plating needed...I spoke with the owner and the bench man and they were both cool about it, I think it was the sales lady that tried to add that on as an extra.

I will post pics and hand shots soon, as soon as I have time to get my nails photo ready! ;))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Who does she think she is telling you your platinum ring should be rhodium plated? :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results