shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick opinion on a pair of K SI2 for bezel set studs

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I haven't visited here for a long time and I am currently looking to purchase a pair of platinum bezel set earrings with milgrain, around 1.4 ctw. I am looking for great value and so I have spotted these two diamonds. I am unable to get any additional images or inspections because of covid related closures in the labs.

Do you think these diamonds will be eye-clean in person? When I zoom out a little, they seem to look good but I'm needed some other opinions on this. I can't just order and return because I am in Canada and will need to pay duty fees and it is a major hassle to get those refunded.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Untitled.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think they will be eye clean.
If you get the certs, and ask JA crew questions they will help.
Often they can access ASET or Ideal-scope images too.
The one on the right may not be as bright in earrings as the one on the left.
You can check them here on PriceScope search because you will see if they are HCA under 2.0 Excellent

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How good is your eyesight? Are you talking eye-clean from normal viewing distance (from your ears). That's pretty far and I would
think they would be eye-clean. If you're talking about close up inspection of you looking at them...maybe not.

Like Garry H said, ask JA for their opinion...but first decide what eye-clean distance means to you.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its impossible to see thise inclusion when they are on.
Looking in a mirror doubles the distance so you cant see anything.

And maybe 25% of 1ct SI2 have some dulling from clouds. I always prefer a hard to see grade maker than clouds that dull the diamond.
Over 2 and 3 carat it gets worse.

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Hi thanks for your responses it's very appreciated. I have the certs but it seems these days you need to pay to check the HCA? I also asked for images and they were unable to provide..

I actually changed the hold to these two diamonds, the price jump is quite a bit but I'm really smitten by them. No other images are available except the certs:

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 11.12.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 11.12.59 AM.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't change to two different colors. I think J would be my preference for platinum bezels over K. Find a matching J for the J color stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks like an option for you, but it will help to know your budget.

Last edited:

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the advice! I usually have difficulty seeing differences in color so I assumed that two really great cuts would make up for any slight difference that I may or may not see.

For my budget, the stones I selected are 1700 and 1900, and with the settings, everything comes in at 3900 usd which is at the top of my 5k cad budget because I havent added the taxes and duties yet which will further hike up the price closer to 6k cad.

So far these are the nicest and largest stones i found in my budget.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Amazes me thatbyou would not pay a few dollars to run the propotions when you are spending thousands.

Any chance you would share why you resist paying but happy to spend time and effort?

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
I didn’t mean that I would not want to pay to use it, it was simply an observation that I made.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do what I did and use the PS diamond search and limit the search to HCA Excellent. I also set the depth at 62 or 62.3, table at a max of 58. But the pair I posted was the best pair I could find in J color in the .70-.80 range. Keep your color the same, but it's okay to mix VS and SI1 if needed.

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
You can do what I did and use the PS diamond search and limit the search to HCA Excellent. I also set the depth at 62 or 62.3, table at a max of 58. But the pair I posted was the best pair I could find in J color in the .70-.80 range. Keep your color the same, but it's okay to mix VS and SI1 if needed.

Thanks I didn't even see this feature. I found this contender with it:

I put it on hold. Now the smart thing to do would be to match it to the other K, however from the certificate this K VS1 and the J both show proportions that fall within the ideal, whereas the K FL does not (slightly off). I also find it appears to be a brighter and lighter K color and matches the J more so I'm leaning again towards the on-paper mismatched colors with the ideal proportions rather than matching the two K's. Am i making a mistake?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lower HCA scores show less face up color.
You might also consider shallower diamonds which tick all the boxes for earrings and pendants.
(Personally I would lower your clarity expectations also - there will be more choices and you can not see inclusions in earrings people are wearing)
Larger table sizes than 58% also work. 785852

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Very interesting table. To be honest I was looking at everything from D-K, IF to SI1, however it seems the most interesting ones I found have this odd combo of lower color + high clarity, probably because everyone looks for the same thing in terms of "best value" (G-H-I, VS-SI) and these ones are more overlooked.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results