carat
color
clarity

Quick help with findings order

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Help!
Due to the freight cost im trying to order everything i need in one go
Im thinking if i wait till i can afford solid gold ill never get around to ever being able to wear them so on the recommendation of several awsome PSers im going with gold filled
The jewler in town's pearl stringing lady is a bit exspensive and the lady down south i always wanted to use only sells (or makes) silver findings so i need to send her all the bits to make my necklaces

So please could someone with a spare few minutes take a look at it and make sure im ordering the right things - jump rings that fit the size clasps etc

I think i want to attach clasps with an extra jump ring so if i dont like the clasp it won't be a major to change it out???

i have trouble with doing up clasps so are my jump rings a useful size,?

I am buying from HouseOfGemsInc on etsy https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/239261132/20-pcs-5-mm-19ga-sterling-silver-open?ref=share_v4_lx

I will cut and paste my order in the next post

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you kind PSers
Screenshot_20220429-183510.png Screenshot_20220429-183517.png Screenshot_20220429-183523.png Screenshot_20220429-183531.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-183523.png
    Screenshot_20220429-183523.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 12

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20220429-183542.png Screenshot_20220429-183552.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-183851.png
    Screenshot_20220429-183851.png
    277.7 KB · Views: 12

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
im not quite sure what you are using the open jump rings for but I always choose 8mm so it’s not too fiddly with them.
the clasps with the round spring clasps, the 2 strand ones, they will be awful trying to open. The clasps will be tiny and if you have difficulty with small things (sight or fingers) they will drive you mad.
Lobster / trigger clasps are much easier to use.
When I make my own stuff, I choose split rings rather than open rings. Open rings, unless soldered closed, can open up again. Split rings are “threaded on” and form a join that won’t come apart and also avoids the extra cost / trouble of soldering.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im not quite sure what you are using the open jump rings for but I always choose 8mm so it’s not too fiddly with them.
the clasps with the round spring clasps, the 2 strand ones, they will be awful trying to open. The clasps will be tiny and if you have difficulty with small things (sight or fingers) they will drive you mad.
Lobster / trigger clasps are much easier to use.
When I make my own stuff, I choose split rings rather than open rings. Open rings, unless soldered closed, can open up again. Split rings are “threaded on” and form a join that won’t come apart and also avoids the extra cost / trouble of soldering.
Thank you Bron
This is exactly what i needed to hear
i will make amendments before i place the order

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For sure use split rings if at all possible.
Also if your working with them yourself get split ring pliers it will save your fingernails.

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that spring clasps are much harder to use than lobster clasps. You should get some soldered closed jump rings for the other end of what you're stringing, for the lobster clasp to catch on. Based on the sizes of the lobster clasps in your cart I'd recommend 6mm 18GA or thinner (19,20) for the closed jump rings.

Also, the 4x7mm clasps are very small, I wouldn't recommend them unless you're stringing something very dainty, and it will not be able to clasp with 18GA jump ring as it's too thick. Another thing is you gotta make sure the open jump rings will fit into the hole at the bottom of the lobster clasps. I believe the 18GA ones might fit, but not 100% sure sorry.

I have attached a pic of what I have for size reference, the top lobster clasp is 3x8mm, with 5mm and 6mm soldered closed jump rings, 20GA. They are more than sturdy enough for what I usually make, which is on the dainty side. The bottom clasp is 4x10mm and next to it is 6mm 18GA jump ring. The 3x8mm lobster clasp cannot close with the 18GA jump ring, needs 20GA.

I know it sounds a bit complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's very simple:) 20220429_170916.jpg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds I would also recommend crimp beads and covers on your threading material. It makes it more secure and the crimp cover finishes it off nicely too. Definitely buy closed jump rings as the threading material can slip through the join, no matter how well you close it up.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that spring clasps are much harder to use than lobster clasps. You should get some soldered closed jump rings for the other end of what you're stringing, for the lobster clasp to catch on. Based on the sizes of the lobster clasps in your cart I'd recommend 6mm 18GA or thinner (19,20) for the closed jump rings.

Also, the 4x7mm clasps are very small, I wouldn't recommend them unless you're stringing something very dainty, and it will not be able to clasp with 18GA jump ring as it's too thick. Another thing is you gotta make sure the open jump rings will fit into the hole at the bottom of the lobster clasps. I believe the 18GA ones might fit, but not 100% sure sorry.

I have attached a pic of what I have for size reference, the top lobster clasp is 3x8mm, with 5mm and 6mm soldered closed jump rings, 20GA. They are more than sturdy enough for what I usually make, which is on the dainty side. The bottom clasp is 4x10mm and next to it is 6mm 18GA jump ring. The 3x8mm lobster clasp cannot close with the 18GA jump ring, needs 20GA.

I know it sounds a bit complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's very simple:) 20220429_170916.jpg

Thank you
i have no idea what im doing and i need all the help i can get
i will wrist your advice indept tomorrow when im not tired

Also @Karl_K and @Austina
Thank you
this is exactly why i had to make this thread

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results