shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick clarity question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
Does the clarity grade have anything to do with how sparkly, clear, and transparent the diamond looks? The mall jewelers seemed to imply this to me, but I was under the previous impression that clarity grades only refer to the sizes/placements of the inclusions. For example, he said a VS grade stone will look noticably clearer and more sparkly than an SI stone b/c the inclusions in SI block the paths of light. Is this utter BS? Any info is appreciated. Also, is there any reason at all to get a VS2 grade stone if all I'm concerned about is not seeing any naked eye inclusions? I've heard conflicting info on whether or not you can actually see SI1 inclusions without a loupe. Any input?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Until the clarity has a visible effect on brilliancy such as visible marks or large clouds, there is no problem. Smaller type inclusions would have no visible effect on brightness. Maybe in theory, but not to the unaided eye, at least.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 5/31/2002 8:00:41 AM

Until the clarity has a visible effect on brilliancy such as visible marks or large clouds, there is no problem.
----------------

In your opinion, at what clarity grade does this happen?

larry

Rough_Rock
Sounds like this mall jeweler wants to sell you a more expensive diamond and is using this theory to up his commission. Does anyone know if sales people in mall jewelers have to have any accreditations? I am interested in where they get these facts from.

Babylon1023

Rough_Rock
I think he said he was a certified gemologist (or certifiable, I forget which). Anyway, is there an agreement that an SI1 that's Ideal cut and mounted will produce no visible imperfections without a loupe, or is the comfort level VS2? If I can't notice a difference, to hell with it, but if I will, let me know.

ChetLaura

Rough_Rock
We were amazed that the sales personnel in the jewelry stores wanted to sell us diamonds using clarity as the key feature of their diamonds. When we told them that we were really more interested in the cut - they couldn't believe it. One of the girls even said "Don't you want your diamond to be sparkly?" We said yes that is why we are more interested in the cut of the diamond. She didn't believe us that the cut was more important. We purchased an eye clean SI1 and it is a definite performer!

Hope that you find what you are looking for!!! :))

larry

Rough_Rock
I also bought a SI1 and I don't care how good your eyes are you can not see any inclusions without a loupe.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Being able to see inclusions without magnification is a combination of proper lighting, the degree of excellence of your vision, and the size, relief and location of the inclusions.

As long as an inclusions is nearly invisible, no one will ever see it on a rapid examination of a piece of jewelry. That's why some pretty low clarity diamonds are used in earrings, but not in solitaire rings. The owner of a ring can stare at it until blemishes are seen, but while wearing earrings, only admirers take a short glance at them.....

Don't make yourselves any "rules" about eye visibility equating to any one clarity grade. This simply is not directly connected in spite of all reasonable logic that one might hope it to be the case. Clarity grading is not totally logical, scientific or objective...Not yet, at least.

It isn't that gemologists are unaware of how dated the grading systems we use appear to be, but without the movement of GIA on this topic, no one else in the jewelry business has had the clout to so far to move the system into the scientific age.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results