shape
carat
color
clarity

questions on GIA certs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iceBuyer04

Rough_Rock
I am looking to purchase a diamond over the internet, and am mainly concerned about the cut of the diamond. The other three C's seem pretty intuitive. I am attempting to determine if it is possible to guarantee an 'ideal' cut of a diamond by simply seeing a GIA certification for a diamond. The GIA cert only gives 2 dimensions directly related to cut--depth and table. Polish and symmetry also relate to cut. My question is, if a diamond has a cert saying depth and table are optimal (roughly 60 - 60), and polish and symmetry are both excellent, is it safe to assume the cut of this diamond is close to the quality of an H&A? Most internet vendors only list the stats that appear on the cert itself. Are there any out there that list more info, such as the angles, ect?

When buying off the internet, is it important to have the cert. number engraved on the diamond to avoid fraud?

Also, Affinity diamonds (www.affinity-diamond-engagement-rings.com) seems to have prices on most diamonds 5-10% lower than other similar diamonds on the internet. Does anyone have any feedback (good or bad) on this vendor?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a good 50-60% probability of ideal proportions if the stone has a 60% depth and 59% table and no culet and thin to medium girdle.

Change any of the little bits of data and it gets complex.
Find a stone you like the %'s on and then request the crown and pavilion angles.
check out https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_60.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results