shape
carat
color
clarity

question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kathy

Rough_Rock
My question is what is the best and most secured type of necklace (14k, 18k, or platinum)? My 18k white gold necklace broke off (from the hoke) and I almost lost my 1.33 round soliate diamond. Can anyone provide any suggestion(s) in order to prevent the above incident from reoccurring?

bacon

Rough_Rock
I am sorry you lost your diamond.Did your chain break? Did the clasp come undone or break?
What style of link was it? How thick was the chain? Keep it larger than 1 millimeter.Round links are best for hanging pendants. Curb, Box, rope (not hollow), wheat, rolo are all good styles of chain for hanging pendants. Flat chains are waiting to break.does this help?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The safest lighter weight chains are those with multiple strands that are totally flexible. ie: rope chain. Chains that have a definite inability to flex or bend in any direction have a tendency to break eventually because of this inflexiblity. The thin ones break quickly and the heavy ones can go for many years with no problems at all.There are some chaines with slightly limited flexiblity such as foxtail which are also long lasting and multi stranded.Simple flexible chains like cable chain are only as safe as a single link is strong. Sometimes they break when snagged by something and it is difficult to prevent that from happening.Solder the links that hold the clasp to the chain. Open jump links often fail before the chain or clasp fails.Lobster clasps seem safer than srping rings. Sister hook styles are the very safest, but they are not so attractive and can be difficult to get open for some people.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joe, she almost lost her diamond, thank goodness she didn't.You can use most any karat chain, or platinum, but the main concern is not to get a light weight promotional quality chain. Joe mentioned using at least a 1mm thick chain, stay away from flat chains, and I agree, but in some instances even thicker than 1mm may be needed.Another thing, Don't Sleep in your necklaces, I don't know that you did, but this is really hard on chains.------------------

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kathy, I never noticed that, but thanks for pointing it out. I think they are just trying to convey how old I really am
smile.gif
------------------

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Well Steve,It would appear that we are from the same century! We must have invented the internet.He's not old folks!
smile.gif
lawmax

Kathy

Rough_Rock
thank you for all your replies. Is there is web site where I can check out the style of the necklaces and the hooks?

Kathy

Rough_Rock
By the way, why does SteveL's registration date shown as January 1900?

leaking diamond.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The simplest style of link type chains are the strongest.
1. plain cable- round or oval or belcher chain
2. next comes curb chain, diamond cut o plain rounded
3. Rope is actually not very strong because the gauge of wire is very very fine, and the links are not butt joined but soldered together side by side.Consider buying a chain every 3 years and not hanging the diamond on one ever more than 5 years old.
Yes crab catches are best.
Garry

Kathy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I just went to a local jewelry store and bought a 16-inch 18k white gold cable style chain with lobster hook. Hope this would last me for awhile. Once again, thank you for all your help.
outtahere.gif

leaking diamond.1.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by Kathy:
By the way, why does SteveL's registration date shown as January 1900?
Kathy, when I set up the forum software for the first time (in Aug/Sept?) the server had a date error that was fixed later.I'll try to fix StevL's join date manualy
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results