shape
carat
color
clarity

Question Regarding Leaving a Job!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been employed by the same company for 9 1/2 years and am considering quitting. I would, of course, give the standard two weeks notice. I am wondering if I''m entitled to receive payment for the three weeks of vacation time and/or the one week of personal time that would be available to me in 2009? (If it helps, I live and work in PA.) Thanks for any advice you all can give!
4.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doubtful...usually it accumulates throughout the year I think (at least at my job it does). But you''d have to look at your contract to be sure I think...

tlh

Ideal_Rock
If you have any unused vacation time- you would be entitled to that. Sick time sometimes is not bank-able from year to year... so in some cases- you dont use it- you lose it.

If you are asking about the PTO you would get in 2009 - the way that works with most companies is that it actually acrues over time- but you can take it BEFORE it is earned. If that is the case- they would deduct any unearned time taken off from your last paycheck.

It is complicated and if you are going to leave a company after almost 10 years of service- then I dont think that vacation time is going to be the decision maker. When you give your notice, I would talk to your HR rep to get the specific information regarding your PTO and any state specific legislature. Good luck!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neat ~ I have a very unique situation. I work for a very small company (only five employees), and I don''t have a written employment contract. Normally, on January 1 of each year, I get three weeks of vacation time and one week of personal time to use that year. If I don''t use it by December 31 of that year, I lose it. I don''t think it accrues over the course of the year . . . I think it is just given to me in a lump on January 1.

tlh ~ Thanks for the reply. The vacation/personal time issue is definitely not the deciding factor . . . just something I was curious about for planning purposes.
5.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... a company of only 5 people... does that even have an HR rep?

Well if you dont use it- you lose it- and you cannot rollover ANY unused PTO... then I would definately put it out there that you are entitled. It is a careful road because you were there soo long that you don''t want to burn any bridges. Hmmm.

Best wishes to you and your negotiations!
35.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Asked the law student husband. He said:Usually not unless it''s pursuant to an employment contract or union agreement
Because companies are under no obligation to provide vacation hours at all.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
My corporate office is in PA and when people leave they do NOT get the vacation or sick time. It is seen as a benefit not an entitlement. If I quit, I would get my vacation time because I am in Mass. and state law mandates it. What people usually do if they know they are about to leave is start to take a week here or there so that they don''t lose too much.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Emm,
I''m sorry you''re not feeling satisfied with your current job. I know it''s tempting to find new employment, but I really don''t think now''s the time. I''m recently unemployed after making a decision to change jobs (my new company folded two months after I came on board) and from what I can see from looking for new jobs, companies are closing and layoffs are happening in all sectors. I would wait until the market turns around a bit and embrace the job security you have in your current position (though no job is a guarantee).

Good luck!!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Irishgrrrl: Not sure about your vacation time etc, but would suggest to ask your boss.After a decade of employment you should be able to discuss it.Of course this may bring on another topic about your future plans.If you are absolutely sure that you want to depart then why not give them as much notice as possible? Leave in good terms if possible you may need to " cross that bridge again"
Good luck to you.

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
I live in PA as well. When I quit my job last year (with proper notice), I received pay for the 2 weeks vacation I had accrued. However, this was stated in the employee handbook. But honestly, every job I''ve had has been that way...once you have earned the vacation time, it is yours.

You just need to figure out when your vacation time is actually earned.

In many cases the vacation/personal time you are given in 2009 was earned in 2008. And if that is the case, you are certainly entitled to it. If they didn''t give pay for vacation earned after someone quits, everyone would just make sure to use up all of their vacation/personal time BEFORE they give notice (which, you could do).

The problem with that is, if you take vacation in 2009 which hasn''t been fully earned until the end of 2009, they will deduct any vacation pay from your final paycheck that has not actually been earned yet.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
When I worked for a HUGE insurance company, they hired to many people to handle the backload. So when I was "fired" they refused to pay it out. Plus once you put in your notice you were not eligible to receive your PTO even if you were in good standing. You lost it.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2009 1:24:22 PM
Author: ice-queen
I live in PA as well. When I quit my job last year (with proper notice), I received pay for the 2 weeks vacation I had accrued. However, this was stated in the employee handbook. But honestly, every job I''ve had has been that way...once you have earned the vacation time, it is yours.

You just need to figure out when your vacation time is actually earned.

In many cases the vacation/personal time you are given in 2009 was earned in 2008. And if that is the case, you are certainly entitled to it. If they didn''t give pay for vacation earned after someone quits, everyone would just make sure to use up all of their vacation/personal time BEFORE they give notice (which, you could do).

The problem with that is, if you take vacation in 2009 which hasn''t been fully earned until the end of 2009, they will deduct any vacation pay from your final paycheck that has not actually been earned yet.
IQ, I believe this is the case with my company. We are each given a certain number of weeks of vacation time at the beginning of each calendar year, and we must use all of those vacation days before December 31 of that year or we lose them. (We cannot carry vacation time over to the following year.) Also, we each get one week of personal time (to be used for sick days, doctor''s appointments, etc.) at the beginning of each year. Again, unused personal time cannot be carried over.

I''m not 100% positive that I''m leaving my job. However, in light of recent unpleasant events at work, I am definitely exploring my options.

Thank you all for replying! Everyone was very helpful (as usual)!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results