shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding a specific cushion cut diamond

JackieO77

Rough_Rock
Hi. I am pretty new to the diamond discussions but I was hoping to get some input from knowledgeable PS users. I am in interested in a cushion cut diamond but I am getting nervous after reading about these "crushed ice" stones. I would like to avoid that but I am not 100% certain if the diamond I am considering fits into that category. Any input to help me decide and figure out this cushion situation is appreciated. Here is some info from the GIA certificate and pictures:

Shape- Cushion Modified Brilliant
Measurements- 7.95 x 6.72 x 3.60mm
Carat Weight- 1.52
Color Grade- G
Clarity Grade- Si2
Polish- Very Good
Symmetery- Good
Fluorescence- None
Table- 62%
Depth- 53.5%

Attachments

• cushion2.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 573
  • cushion1.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 579

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion...the first pictures looks to be what I consider crushed ice. You cant really pick out any faceting pattern. However,
I can pick out some kind of pattern in the second picture but I'm just not that impressed with it. My other issue with this stone is
is seems to be very shallow (53.3%). Most decent cushions are in the 60ish+ depth. I wonder if in the first picture we are seeing
a lot of light leakage where you can see the color of the background through the stone (or is it reflecting this color from somewhere
in front of it)? Were you there when the pictures were taken? Maybe you know. Can you get an aset image of the stone and post
it?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My question is what do *you* think about this stone? Does it appeal to you more than, say, a GOG AVC? (The AVCs are a great example of the opposite of the crushed ice look since the faceting is nice and chunky.)

I'm not personally in love with this particular cushion, but I'm currently a big fan of the antique cushions. It sounds like you want to avoid a crushed ice cushion because of what you've read about them, but that tells me nothing about your personal preferences.

Have you checked out Rhino's videos comparing different cushions? This might be a good place to start to see which type of cushion you prefer.

Here's one of his many wonderful videos:
http://vimeo.com/18546636

Also, here's a link to the PS Cushion Cuts Collection. Are there any stones that you prefer in this thread? That might give you a better idea of what kind of cushion *you* like.
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/cushion-cuts-a-collection-t135031-240.html

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know someone else has probably already created a better guide to different types of cushions, but here are two really good examples of modern cushions that are NOT crushed ice cushions. (I think sometimes we mistakenly think that modern cushions equal crushed ice cushions, but that's just not true.)

The one on the left belongs to Sweetpeababycorn, the one on the right is Dolcejo's. Both are gorgeous, IMO. I like the way the faceting patterns are so obvious in these two stones. Modern cushions really vary in their appearance, these are just two examples.
sweetpeababycornanddolcejo.jpg

These are two examples of antique cushions. The one on the left is Thouarella's HUGE cushion :cheeky: , the one on the right is my own. Similar to modern cushions, there is a huge variety to be found in antique cushions, these are just two examples.
ThouarellaandHaven.jpg

These are two examples of GOG's amazing AVCs. There are so many gorgeous AVCs here on PS, I just grabbed two pictures that showed the faceting really well. The one on the left belongs to Doc, the one of the right belongs to Shimmer.
docsandshimmers.jpg

JackieO77

Rough_Rock
I was not there when these pictures were taken. The jeweler sent them to me. I don't have an aset picture but I will request that and post shortly.

JackieO77

Rough_Rock
Well in regards to what I think about the stone: when I first saw in, I just adored the diamond. I loved the idea of the rectangular cushion. But, once I got home and started researching more about diamonds and looking at other people's rings to get band ideas, I came across the "crushed ice" notion and I was totally freaked out. It is a big purchase and I want to love my ring with no reservations what so ever. I am requesting the aset photo tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will get some piece of mind after the aset photo and either keep this stone or look at others.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a good plan, Jackie. I went through a similar experience when I did my research on PS for my first cushion stone. I really believe that you have to trust your own eyes with cushions, and even though the majority of people prefer non-crushed ice stones, that doesn't mean that YOU can't like them.

Out of curiosity, do you find yourself drawn to any of the specific stones that I posted in my last post?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
What really matters is what YOU like. Don't dislike a "crushed ice" cushion purely because many PSers are vocal on this forum about hating the crushed ice look. Many people love that look. So I think you should stop worrying about getting a "crushed ice" stone because you have heard on here to stay away from them- but to let your eyes and heart speak as to what appeals to you.

:bigsmile:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes, I think the best thing to do is to educate your eyes so you can determine what your preferences are! there is nothing 'wrong' with the 'crushed ice' look with more pinflash, some people prefer that and some people do not. As Haven points out you can also get a modern cushion that does not have a 'crushed ice' appearance.

if you are interested in a cushion cut, I would highly recommend this tutorial on the different kinds of cushions
http://vimeo.com/7579666

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that stone would be classified as crush ice especially in the first picture. I can see where the leakage is and can venture to guess what the ASET will look like. With that said, if you like the stone .. that is all that matters.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1307574300|2941100 said:
I know someone else has probably already created a better guide to different types of cushions, but here are two really good examples of modern cushions that are NOT crushed ice cushions. (I think sometimes we mistakenly think that modern cushions equal crushed ice cushions, but that's just not true.)

The one on the left belongs to Sweetpeababycorn, the one on the right is Dolcejo's. Both are gorgeous, IMO. I like the way the faceting patterns are so obvious in these two stones. Modern cushions really vary in their appearance, these are just two examples.
sweetpeababycornanddolcejo.jpg

These are two examples of antique cushions. The one on the left is Thouarella's HUGE cushion :cheeky: , the one on the right is my own. Similar to modern cushions, there is a huge variety to be found in antique cushions, these are just two examples.
ThouarellaandHaven.jpg

These are two examples of GOG's amazing AVCs. There are so many gorgeous AVCs here on PS, I just grabbed two pictures that showed the faceting really well. The one on the left belongs to Doc, the one of the right belongs to Shimmer.
docsandshimmers.jpg

Haven these are great pictures!!!! Really nice to see them all side by side.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results