shape
carat
color
clarity

Question: Having a diamond set in store

ryverson

Rough_Rock
With the help of this website I bought a diamond online but for various reason I ended up butying the setting from a local store. I am wondering is there anything I need to know when I take the diamond in to be set? Also, should I bring the diamond into the store in something other that the view box that I got from the diamond retailer with their logo? Is that tacky or am I over thinking this?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It is never a bad idea to really know your diamond. Do you have a jeweler's loupe? If not, consider purchasing one and use it to find the inclusions in the diamond that are referenced on the lab report. Once you have found them, and know them well you are able to discern your diamond from others. Also, if there is an inscription on the girdle that will match the lab report, that is useful.

The vast majority of dealers and jewelers in the world are honest, good people and this is likely the case with your local store. But knowing the 'personality' of your diamond (and being able to match the inscription) will ensure that the correct diamond was set and no mistakes were made in the process.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be aware that warranty and insurance coverage varies wildly in this situation. Most setters don't guarantee against damage with stones they didn't sell for example, especially if they didn't even sell the mounting. The risk with most stones is low, but it's not zero. Ask.

I wouldn't take it down to the setter in the retail packaging just becaue it's impolite to rub it in that you bought elsewhere, but, in practice, it shouldn't make a difference what sort of packaging you have.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would insure the loose stone prior to bringing it to be set. After it is set you can amend your insurance policy for the set ring. Insuring the loose stone covers it in the event that it is chipped or damaged or lost during the setting process. A really nice peace of mind :).

If the girdle of the stone is inscribed, ask politely if they will show you the inscription before you drop it off and when you pick it up (usually under a microscope). That way you will know with certainty that it is the stone you bought. If that is not possible, then like Diamond Hawk suggested, I would buy a loupe (inexpensive and can buy on Amazon) and identify a few inclusions prior to dropping it off. Then check when you receive the set stone.

Jeweler's Mutual and Lavalier are good stand along policies to have for jewelry.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results