shape
carat
color
clarity

question for cut experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
I have heard that the small white circle that you sometimes see in the center of a diamond where the arrows converge appears in well cut stones, and can be an indication of the size of the pavillion angle. my question is, what can be surmised about a stone that does not have any circle in the center? all of the "arrows" (they dont really look like arrows in this particular stone they look more like lines, but for lack of a better description), simply converge at the center at a point. I have no doubt at all that this is a poorly cut stone, aside from not having arrows or a center circle, the stone hardly sparkles at all. i am simply wondering, if from the description someone can tell me what aspect is off - does my description indicate a particularly large or small pavillion angle? is there any way to guess what the problem is based on the way the stone looks?

thanks.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Usually it means the pavilion depth is on the shallow side, or the deep side. I've posted some pics for comparison. The first image has a traditional depth, the second a fairly shallow depth, and the third a pretty deep depth.

You can usually spot the shallow ones by the reflection of the girdle being just inside or near the table outline when you tilt the stone.

You can usually spot the deep ones because the stone appears darker under the table facet, and the outer upper girdle facets appear "washed out".

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure those images posted correctly. Just a little box with a red "x" shows up on my screen.

Leonid, can you correct that for me if it's possible? Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pav depth estimation as described by Lidicaot in the 1960's actually does not work.
It is not only pav depth dependant, it is also table size, crown angle and girdle thickness dependant.

Another of the great myths dispelled.

nycguy

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replies - the pictures didn't show up on my computer either. so its hard to say what the likely problem, and I guess, according to gary, it may not be the most accurate way anyway.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results