shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Bakers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
This might be a silly question but I just have to ask anyway.
When making a recipe that calls for 3 eggs and you want to cut it in half, what do you do? Do you actually try to only add half of one egg or do you just use 1 or 2 eggs?
Also, what if the recipe calls for one egg. Would you just use the whole egg or try to split it? I just wonder how difficult it is to split an egg in half.
I don''t know, maybe I''m over-thinking this.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would crack the egg, put in a separate small bowl, and then with a tablespoon, take out about half the yolk, then about half the white, as best you can. I''ve noticed that some recipes do not translate well to halving, although I''ve never understood why.

What are you baking? Another option would be to prepare the whole recipe and freeze half for later use, if you''re baking something freeze-able, like cookie dough, for example.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
When the recipe asks for 3 eggs, I use 2 when I halve the recipe. For a 1 egg, I still use 1 egg. Depending on what you are making, it will just be fluffier.

Another trick is if the recipe calls for large eggs you can use the same number of small eggs instead.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Loves Vintage and soocool for the responses.

I''m baking cupcakes and I wasn''t sure if it would mess up the recipe to use too few/too many. I do like the idea of using smaller size eggs. My only problem is that I am way too forgetful to remember to buy smaller eggs for the time that I''ll need them.
I just wish that all recipes called for eggs in an equal number!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d use egg beaters and just measure out half the amount called for in the recipe.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 7:39:43 PM
Author: soocool
When the recipe asks for 3 eggs, I use 2 when I halve the recipe. For a 1 egg, I still use 1 egg. Depending on what you are making, it will just be fluffier.

Another trick is if the recipe calls for large eggs you can use the same number of small eggs instead.

Ditto - I always err on the side of too many eggs, because otherwise stuff can be dry...

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
crack the egg, scramble it and then take out 2 Tablespoons. VIOLA Half an egg!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Zoe, Amber and Blair!

Zoe and Blair, great suggestions and ones I never would''ve thought of!
Amber, I may try going with the higher number and seeing if the taste is different. Since I''ve made the recipes before, hopefully I can tell if there''s a difference.

Thanks so much!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would either make 1/3 or 2/3 of the recipe than half.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
dixie: sometimes I have to slightly adjust the amount of flour I use if I use the 2 eggs in halving the recipe down from 3 eggs (it depends on what I am making. But I know what works for me from experience. You could always break the egg into a small bowl and whisk it up a little with a fork and take out half ( about 2 tablespoons). I think one whisked egg is about 1/4 cup.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 8:11:19 PM
Author: Blair138
crack the egg, scramble it and then take out 2 Tablespoons. VIOLA Half an egg!
After I read your post Blair I did remember this. Thanks for jogging my memory!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Julie and Soocool!

Now I''m feeling like I better just scramble the egg and measure 2 T. I don''t quite have the eye of experience yet so I''d rather be safe than sorry!

Thanks again! You gals are a great resource!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done lots of baking over the years, halving, doubling, tripling recipes, etc. If it calles for three eggs and I halve it, I just throw in 2 to be safe. Hasn''t messed me up yet! Other things have, but not that!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2009 7:39:43 PM
Author: soocool

HI:

Ditto. I round "up".

cheers--Sharon

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks April and Canuk. Rounding up is what I want to do b/c it seems the easiest so I will probably try that first and then try the other method when I have the time.

Thanks ladies!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results