My fiancee currently has in her engagement ring a:

Carat: 1.50 Round Brilliant
GIA "Triple X"
- EXCELLENT CUT
- EXCELLENT POLISH
- EXCELLENT SYMMETRY
Clarity: VS1
Color: J

If I were to upgrade, what do most people do with the original diamond? Is there a place to sell it? Try to barter it somewhere for a higher quality diamond? Sell it? How do most people upgrade their diamond engagement rings? We love the setting, just the diamond color bothers me A LITTLE. My fiancee loves it, though... but I'm just thinking about how wonderful it would be to have an H or G instead of J...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought her ring turned out beautifully - does she want to upgrade too?

Unfortunately, BN does not have an upgrade policy. You can consign the ring with several PS vendors - unfortunately, you probably won't get nearly what you paid for the stone. Do you realize too that diamonds have gone up significantly in price since you purchased yours? Maybe you should look around at what you think you'd like to have to see if it would be worth the money to you to sell and then buy again.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1303866667|2905830 said:
I thought her ring turned out beautifully - does she want to upgrade too?

Unfortunately, BN does not have an upgrade policy. You can consign the ring with several PS vendors - unfortunately, you probably won't get nearly what you paid for the stone. Do you realize too that diamonds have gone up significantly in price since you purchased yours? Maybe you should look around at what you think you'd like to have to see if it would be worth the money to you to sell and then buy again.

actually BN does have an upgrade policy (new!) with their signature ideal stones only.

MGR is right though that diamond prices have gone up a lot, and you would likely take a significant loss if you wanted to upgrade.

joe.laroza

Rough_Rock
Both of you are 100% correct. I have been looking at prices and the same diamond in terms of stats would cost me nearly $3000 (THAT IS THE SAME EXACT DIAMOND, NOT UPGRADE!)... The slight, slight, slight tint of yellow in darkish rooms drives me crazy. It's almost G-quality in terms of color when outside, not a hint of yellow whatsoever. I keep telling myself J is still in near-colorless range. The ring is beautiful and my fiancee loves it and is attached to it with tons of sentimental value... it's just the nit-picki-ness of me... I guess! :errrr:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
joe.laroza|1303867758|2905852 said:
Both of you are 100% correct. I have been looking at prices and the same diamond in terms of stats would cost me nearly $3000 (THAT IS THE SAME EXACT DIAMOND, NOT UPGRADE!)... The slight, slight, slight tint of yellow in darkish rooms drives me crazy. It's almost G-quality in terms of color when outside, not a hint of yellow whatsoever. I keep telling myself J is still in near-colorless range. The ring is beautiful and my fiancee loves it and is attached to it with tons of sentimental value... it's just the nit-picki-ness of me... I guess! :errrr:

if she loves it and is attached to it...then I would KEEP it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
joe.laroza|1303867758|2905852 said:

A more colorless stone might not look much different in the same environment... many people mistake ambient lighting/color for body tint.

joe.laroza

Rough_Rock
This site is too addicting, and I'm the GROOM! The more I see, the more I want to upgrade. We should just be happy with what we have... it's definitely a blessing to be able to have a ring and to share this life with someone else... period. No need in being greedy. Thank you all for the reality check! :appl:

joe.laroza

Rough_Rock
Dreamer- I agree with you. In some rooms, I notice the yellowish tint more often than in other. Outside, it looks COLORLESS and CLEAN. It's just in dark rooms with our dim yellow lighting. It must all be in my head...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she loves it I would keep it. If you eventually get her an upgrade she could have it mounted in a pendant or move it to a new setting for a right hand ring.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
joe.laroza|1303865830|2905822 said:
If I were to upgrade, what do most people do with the original diamond? Is there a place to sell it? Try to barter it somewhere for a higher quality diamond? Sell it? How do most people upgrade their diamond engagement rings? We love the setting, just the diamond color bothers me A LITTLE. My fiancee loves it, though... but I'm just thinking about how wonderful it would be to have an H or G instead of J...
She's the one wearing it and she loves it. What's the problem. I happen to prefer warmer stones. Some people just prefer the color or don't notice it, and if your fiancee is one of them let her keep her ring as it. It may be more sentimental than your realize.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
joe.laroza|1303868078|2905861 said:
Dreamer- I agree with you. In some rooms, I notice the yellowish tint more often than in other. Outside, it looks COLORLESS and CLEAN. It's just in dark rooms with our dim yellow lighting. It must all be in my head...

Well - it's a J, and a larger J. It's not terribly surprising you see some tint if you are decently colour-sensitive, esp. from an angle - no J, no matter how well cut will look like a G/H.

A lot *more* of what you see will be environmental though - that yellow Tshirt, the creamy walls/curtains, the beige carpet...

If you know, with certainty, that you're going to be upgrading, and you're both on the same page with that, and you have the budget to do it now, I would say go ahead and do it now - prices have gone nuts and it doesn't look like they'll be seeing reason anytime soon. If an upgrade is not a definite though - and she loves her stone, as it sounds like she does - that's quite a different scenario ::)

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Switch your lightbulbs to soft white or natural white (they have a bluish tint), and paint the walls blue or pink. That's a much cheaper alternative! :D

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Joe, not to brow beat you here, but that's an incredible ring a lot of women would give their eye teeth to have. She loves it and is attached to it. If you need the thrill of another hunt, how about finding her the perfect wedding band? Diamond studs? Pendant? Tennis bracelet?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Winks_Elf|1303870825|2905898 said:
Switch your lightbulbs to soft white or natural white (they have a bluish tint), and paint the walls blue or pink. That's a much cheaper alternative! :D

Brilliant! :lol: Really!

Joe, you need to think about these things during the return period, not after. =) Or else use a vendor with an upgrade policy. She is happy with the ring and you just need to be very silent about your doubts. You'd lose thousands trying to replace this diamond now!

joe.laroza

Rough_Rock
I'm still within my return-policy phase, which is why upgrading is so tempting. I understand that a 1.50 RB with a J shows the tint... the J actually helped me get within budget to afford the "XXX" and the VS1 as well as max out the setting threshold of 1.50 carats. I'm just being a little too overdramatic, I guess. Funny that I'M the one being too picky and I don't wear the ring! I will take your suggestions to heart: change the lightbulbs (LOL!) and also search for other ways to please her (or myself, in this case) by finding pendents/bracelets/earrings to match...

I spoke with my Fiancee and she reassured me that she doesn't want to trade away "Miss Sparky" which is her nickname for her diamond e-ring. I'm almost obsessed with wanting to clean it and see it sparkle. :(sad Should I be ashamed? Haha..

ked123

Rough_Rock
I actually did the opposite. We recently upgraded for size. I went from a G VS2 to an I VS1. I can hardly tell the difference.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I would love if my hubby was obsessed with cleaning my diamonds. It is sweet that you want her to have the best, she sure is a lucky girl. I am sure she love the sparkly things you will by her in the future almost as much as she love you.
:bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was hesitant about my J at first, but I found over time when I stopped scrutinizing it looking for tint, I noticed it less and less ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results