shape
carat
color
clarity

question about tourmaline setting issue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

So, recently some of you saw my photos of the LOGR setting and pink tourmaline. I attempted to get it set this weekend. I was told that they were too uncomfortable to do it; they tried to set a necklace a few weeks ago and went through 3 or 4 stones because they nicked them. Because I didn''t get my stone from them, they don''t want to take the chance.

Is this common? I didn''t know tourmaline was so soft.

Any advice is appreciated.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I think tourmaline is a 7-7.5 (correct me please, if I''m wrong).

Did you take this to the same jeweller? Maybe you need to try someone different? My jeweller has set two tourmalines (one in prongs and another in bezel) in the LOGR setting without any problems.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense, but I think you have an inexperienced jeweler who probably only knows how to deal with diamonds. A good jeweler should have no problem setting a tourmaline, especially one like yours with no inclusions to cause issues. Tourmaline is not as durable and hard as a diamond, but it's not super fragile either. My jeweler has set several for me, including bezeling one.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
:)

The guy I talked to was the owner''s son, who looked pretty young, so maybe he just didn''t know. I know the owner has been in the business for a looooong time and they do work with alot of gemstones. So I guess I will go back and try to talk to him!

Thanks for the info!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you live in a small area? If not, I would highly suggest you go somewhere else. I would be very suspect about having them set my stone.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others. I''ve had a tourmaline set at my local jewelers and they had no problem - even when the setting was too small for the stone and they had to do bendy things with the prongs and such. If your jeweler is experienced in setting colored stones, they shouldn''t have problems with setting your tourmaline.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info! I''ll let you know what happens! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results