shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about stone specs?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me which of these would be the more ideal specs? I would like opinions please.

Is there a value difference between heated and non-heated sapphires. What is the visual difference between the two if any?

All are ovals.

1. 2.23ct 7.43 x 6.98 x 4.63

2. 2.14ct 8.91 x 7.05 x 4.08

3. 2.11ct 8.65 x 6.07 x 4.42

4. 2.03ct 7.32 x 6.23 x 5.20

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All things being equal, unheated sapphires command a premium over heated.
You can't make a generalization that color wise, one looks better or even different than the other. Heating is usually done to improve color, and or clarity. So the decision was made that by heating the stone it would become more valuable than it was in it's un-heated stage.

As far as the dimensions go, there are too many variables to make a discussion on the "make" of a stone by dimensions. You need to just trust your eyes and look at the stone. Ratio's make little sense worrying about in a color stone since there are so many different types of cuts. Don't focus on the numbers, they don't mean anything, look at the stone.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1306524397|2931852 said:
Tell me which of these would be the more ideal specs? I would like opinions please.

Is there a value difference between heated and non-heated sapphires. What is the visual difference between the two if any?

All are ovals.

1. 2.23ct 7.43 x 6.98 x 4.63

2. 2.14ct 8.91 x 7.05 x 4.08

3. 2.11ct 8.65 x 6.07 x 4.42

4. 2.03ct 7.32 x 6.23 x 5.20

I won't comment on the mm sizes - I'd want to see the whole stone as just measurements aren't really very useful unless they are extreme. For example if the depth was tiny or double the length of the stone. They give no real idea of the stone's make - it could have a massive belly or a very off-centre culet for example.

Unheated can command as much as a 40% premium.

There is absolutely no difference in colour - ie you cannot tell by looking at the colour if a stone has or hasn't been heated. However heating can improve the colour and/or clarity of a stone thus making it more beautiful and increasing it's value.

Paying the premium for unheated is a bit like paying for an IF diamond - it's mind rather than actual as far as colour is concerned. Personally I have a bit of a thing for certain inclusions that are destroyed by heat treatment but if I'm looking for a stone of a certain colour then it's doubtful that I would pay the premium for the unheated stone UNLESS I was buying an 'investment' stone. There are sapphires on Pala's website that are around 3cts and over $100k - if I'm paying that then I'd want unheated for sure.

If I'm spending $2k for a pretty blue sapphire then heated will give me more choice and probably a finer colour for my money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results