shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about shared prong eternity bands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Do the stones often become loose? I have an e band, its less than 6 months old and the stones are becoming more and more loose and its already gone back for 1 repair. When I first got the ring, a few stones were just a tiny tiny bit loose but, nothing I was concerned about but now..... they are loosening up and I am worried.Non are on the verge of falling out but still...I can see them move a little when I checked them. I got an appraisal on another ring of mine, I had the gemologist look at my E band and he did say the craftsmanship was not good, the stones are also not set evenly, not terrible but should be better. I am thinking of sending an email to the guy I bought the ring from. I am happy with the stones!! should I have someone else reset the stones into a better quality ring? Like whiteflash? I don't want to start loosing stones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You said the stones were slightly loose when you first got the ring? That would have been enough for me to return it immediately. I don''t think its a shared prong ring problem. I think its a problem with the person who made this particular ring.

If you want it remade you should go to someone with a great reputation. Not to say they won''t get loose at some time in the future, but it would be less likely than if you stick with your original maker.

You should get your rings checked periodically for loose stones regardless who makes it.
1.gif

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for replying, When I first got the ring, I noticed a couple loose stones and I was concerned. I asked pricescope what I should do and I was advised to email the guy I bought it from. I did so and it was sent back for a repair, he was very good about the situation and he was apologetic, after that it seemed fine until now. When I said I wasn't concerned... I was until after the repair sorry for not being clear. Is there anyone that many psers have dealt with who has a great rep?

thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a shared prong ring from Signed Pieces and had not experienced a single problem with the ring. The diamonds are also very well cut in addition to the high colour and clarity.

Do NOT ask your local jeweller to fix it. The problem sounds like it's not the shared prong design but the original setting. Send it back to the original vendor and have him address the loose melee.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Well I already sent it back to him once for loose stones.... 2 days after I got in!!! If the problem is the craftsmanship then I''m thinking this will be an on going problem if I don''t fix the source, what do you think?

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
So you have any pictures of the ring that we could look at to see if we could determine anything? It''s hard to say whether or not you should keep trying to fix this ring when we have no idea the shape it''s currently in. I have a shared prong ring that I wear every day since August and I''ve not had any stones come loose yet, so perhaps it is the workmanship on your setting. That''s why I thought perhaps pictures might help.

Sorry to hear of the hassles, I hope you''re able to get things fixed up for good this time.
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, it sounds like your ring wasn''t made very well. I''d definitely consider getting a setting from someone else if you are able to go that route. I have a five stone from WF (see left) and none of them have moved a teeny tiny bit and I''ve even wacked a few times pretty good.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Thank You all for your comments, I have many pictures which actually make the ring look perfect. The setting flaws don''t come through in the pictures but when I look down at the ring, I can see it. If the setting was not going to effect the safety of my stones, then I wouldn''t bother me as much. I have been emailing with Lesley @ Brian Gavin about price quotes. I plan to contact whiteflash today as well. I know that I''m going to have the stones reset but I have not decided with whom. I am going to have to save up for a couple months first. My husband is getting annoyed by all this ring business and I can''t blame him. This is my second ring set in 2 years and we just bought the e band but I plan to use my money for this :) I do have a couple questions for you guys though..... is there any companies you may know where I can sell or trade in my platinum settings. When I reset the stones, I will have 3 empty platinum settings sitting in my jewelry box and I would like for the metal to do some good. I would like some comments on pricescope vendors or jewelers who is know to do quality work.

Thanks

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
I have a shared prong band (half eternity) that I''ve always had trouble with.
The orignal band that I was married with actually had a stone fall out, and when I took it back, they told me there was a size problem and had to remake the band. This was heartbreaking! So, I no longer have the band I was married with. This had me crying for days. It is still upsetting every time I think about it.
Now, I have the remade one, correctly sized, and I''ve begun to see the prongs shift again as they did with the old band.
I''ve taken the band to several jewelers for their opinion and was basically told that this type of setting is not made to be worn daily by active people. Otherwise, damage will occur to the setting. They recommended a channel setting for me....
I heard this from about 4 or 5 different jewelers. I keep having the setting checked, as I fear loosing a stone again. This setting has me paranoid!
What the jewelers told me was not exactly what I wanted to hear but I guess it makes sense. And maybe I will get a channel setting one say....

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a shared-prong 3/4 eternity band from Whiteflash that I wear everyday. It looks beautiful and have never had a loose stone. I am not gentle either. It's all in the workmanship.

Pave, on the other hand, is more delicate.

I don't know how it'll work for you to find someone to create a custom setting to reset your stones. WF uses their own ACA stones and part of creating a secure setting is to have all the melee cut with the same dimensions. I think you are going to be better off buying a band with the stones in it. There are ways to sell your original band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results