shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about settings w bezels AND prongs

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’ve seen a lot of settings that have both a bezel and prongs. I love the look. I’m just wondering does the bezel actually grip and hold the stone in or is it just for show? Or are the prongs just for show? Or do both things hold the stone? I’m sure many PSers have rings in this style (CVB does many) so I was curious. I’m posting some pics of what I mean.

C0D7D12F-D7D3-4FC2-B6B2-163CAD7C1167.jpeg

ED5086A7-F8E8-418A-A7FB-C0526CC7AE30.jpeg

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought it was prong set and with a faux bezel. Interesting to see others chime in.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a similar ring and the diamond in it is prong set while bezel has a function of girdle protection

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
From my understanding it's either the bezel, or the prongs. It's not both. The most recent ring I designed is a half bezel with prongs for "show;" they don't actually hold the stone

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
to me the top one looks like the bezel might be helping hold the stone in but it's hard to tell; the 2nd one looks like the bezel-like rim is for decoration.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one of these and the prongs is what holds the stone. Like @Diamondbug said it’s a faux bezel and I would agree.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "bezel" is not holding the stone in usually but is just a decorative metal edge around the stone, with the prongs holding it in. You can see on most of these that the girdle of the stone is exposed. It is possible to do it the other way around of course, but I see that less often.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with all said above.
I have a few/three and they are all completely different in the ‘faux bezel’ aspect, but all have the prongs as the functioning factor.
I can think of only one example of a ring that has prongs for show only - and it was unique.

i love the look.
The descriptive words mean different things to different vendors.
If you are particular about what you want- use pictures to show what you want and what you don’t want, specifically.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can think of only one example of a ring that has prongs for show only - and it was unique.

do you have a picture of this? super curious. =)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you have a picture of this? super curious. =)

If I come across it again

it had stones that were thicker bezel set, maybe collet
and around the entire perimeter were many tiny prongs, holding nothing. It wasn’t beading or millgrain.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I have a faux bezel. It's not a true bezel but still enough to protect the girdle. And then its held in place by prongs.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have a faux bezel. It's not a true bezel but still enough to protect the girdle. And then its held in place by prongs.

@maryjane04 I tried to go back and find your ring and was reminded that you never did an individual thread on your gorgeous ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results