shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about rose gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
I have a question about rose gold. Some rose gold I've seen looks very coppery; other rose gold looks very pink -- which is what I am looking for, like this color: rose gold link

What makes the difference in whether it looks pinkish or coppery? Is it a difference between 10k, 14k, or 18k?

Thanks in advance! :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the difference between 18k, 14k and even lower karat gold is very obvious. 18k red gold is subtle. 14k red gold is not subtle and can actually look very very very pink, especially if paired with a pink stone. i wouldn''t consider anything lower than that because the gold content is so little.

i like the look of 18k red gold but i''m not a 14k gold person whether it be yellow, red, or green.

here''s a picture of my 18k red gold chain:

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/jewelry-pieces/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer-t29197-240.html

in the same thread i believe there are a lot of pictures of red gold pieces.....

mz

ps the less the carat weight, the less gold and more copper is used.....therefore, more red color in lower karat gold.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
I L-O-V-E the rose gold in the Leon setting, but I can''t seem to find anything that looks as pink [could it be the lighting?] The caption says it''s 18k pink gold....but from what you said, it should like quite subtle, which it doesn''t to me...?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a rose gold expert, but I heard that many pink/rose gold alloys can differ, and that causes some to look more pink and some to look more copper.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, they definitely look different. I just **cannot** find anything close to the Leon level of pink on that emerald cut ring. I think it''s beautiful! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Leon makes his own alloys? Or maybe he plates them in another pinker layer. ????

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a possibility. Sigh. I assume he is waaaaaay out of my price range.

Has anyone used Leon for a plain solitaire ring, no diamonds, just gold?

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I noticed when photographing my 18k rose gold necklace that lighting and flash made a huge difference in how it looked in the photo. Also, it was difficult to capture the ''true'' color that I see everyday. I''ll try to find some examples...

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
thanks! i''d love to see some!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ok, here it is looking quite saturated

NSCPad4000.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
and, more subdued
5.gif

the actual color that I see is between the two...

NSCPad10100.jpg

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty!! Would you say that yours has ever looked like this in a picture? I love how pink it looks...but I wonder if it''s the lighting.

pinkgold leon.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It''s tough because I don''t have a lot of metal to look at...but yes I would say it''s very similar, perhaps a *little* brighter in natural light.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the info! So maybe 18k is more pink than coppery. I guess I will just keep looking!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic, but is that a pad in your avatar Shimmer? (And in that pendant?)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 5:03:47 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I shouldn''t answer for Shimmer, but I can''t help myself because I love love love that stone. It''s a Jeff White Imperial Malaya Garnet.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 5:14:26 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

I shouldn''t answer for Shimmer, but I can''t help myself because I love love love that stone. It''s a Jeff White Imperial Malaya Garnet.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Haha, ok. I''ve recently added the Peachy-Pink Malaya Garnet to my small list of gems to get in this lifetime :) I''m a big garnet lover :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of rose gold and while we''re talking about Malayas, I''m getting my Malaya set in 18K rose gold. I''ll post pictures to show how 18K rose gold is more subtle next to 14K rose gold. It shipped today, so I hopefully should be getting it sometime next week.

As for the Leon pink gold, I don''t think Leon is THAT expensive for the workmanship and what he provides. He''s definitely more affordable than Tiff&Co, and at least you''re getting a hand made one of a kind setting. I was looking at his prices last night, not too bad IMO. I know people think that''s nuts, but hand work is more expensive.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 4:56:56 PM
Author: karee888
Thanks so much for the info! So maybe 18k is more pink than coppery. I guess I will just keep looking!
that is not my experience of 18k red gold......14k is definitely pink. 18k is more red....but subtle. not obvious. however, as noted by another responder, not all alloys are mixed to the same formula....so my 18k red gold chain may look different than another 18k red gold chain.

mz

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 5:45:54 PM
Speaking of rose gold and while we''re talking about Malayas, I''m getting my Malaya set in 18K rose gold. I''ll post pictures to show how 18K rose gold is more subtle next to 14K rose gold. It shipped today, so I hopefully should be getting it sometime next week.

As for the Leon pink gold, I don''t think Leon is THAT expensive for the workmanship and what he provides. He''s definitely more affordable than Tiff&Co, and at least you''re getting a hand made one of a kind setting. I was looking at his prices last night, not too bad IMO. I know people think that''s nuts, but hand work is more expensive.

There''s **no** question Leon''s work is amazing, fantastic, etc. It is extremely nice craftsmanship. It''s just not in my budget at the current time. :) But someday!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 6:51:56 PM

There''s **no** question Leon''s work is amazing, fantastic, etc. It is extremely nice craftsmanship. It''s just not in my budget at the current time. :) But someday!
Well I will get an 18K rose gold LOGR next week, and I already have a 14 rose gold LOGR, so I''ll post the two side by side so you can see the differences. Mr. LOGR told me that the 18K rose gold on his pieces is "less coppery."

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just like with yellow gold, the colour of pink gold varies depending on the alloy used. It can be pink or coppery. If you want a specific shade, print out a coloured picture and bring it your local jeweller to see if he/she is able to procure that mix.

Gold is rated 24kt as the purest = 100% gold. So if you do the division, here the true gold content:
10 kt = 41.67% pure gold
14 kt = 59% pure gold
18 kt = 75% pure gold

I would not do 10kt because it can become too brittle. I prefer 18 kt and don't think it's too soft, but 14 kt is fine too.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/20/2009 5:14:26 PM

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Thanks TL
35.gif
The pendant is a pad.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 7:04:24 PM

Well I will get an 18K rose gold LOGR next week, and I already have a 14 rose gold LOGR, so I''ll post the two side by side so you can see the differences. Mr. LOGR told me that the 18K rose gold on his pieces is ''less coppery.''

Great!! I can''t wait to see pictures of it. All I want is a simple solitaire. If your new one is close, maybe I will ask him about making one of the solitaires in rose gold. Yay! :)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 7:10:35 PM
Author: Chrono
Just like with yellow gold, the colour of pink gold varies depending on the alloy used. It can be pink or coppery. If you want a specific shade, print out a coloured picture and bring it your local jeweller to see if he/she is able to procure that mix.

Gold is rated 24kt as the purest = 100% gold. So if you do the division, here the true gold content:

10 kt = 41.67% pure gold

14 kt = 59% pure gold

18 kt = 75% pure gold

I would not do 10kt because it can become too brittle. I prefer 18 kt and don''t think it''s too soft, but 14 kt is fine too.

Thanks, Chrono! I looked [not too terribly hard] but couldn''t find any more in depth info than "there are different hues of rose gold depending on the copper content."

Printing a picture is a great idea!! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 10:12:19 PM

Well I will get an 18K rose gold LOGR next week, and I already have a 14 rose gold LOGR, so I''ll post the two side by side so you can see the differences. Mr. LOGR told me that the 18K rose gold on his pieces is ''less coppery.''

Great!! I can''t wait to see pictures of it. All I want is a simple solitaire. If your new one is close, maybe I will ask him about making one of the solitaires in rose gold. Yay! :)
Karee,
I have a picture of my colored diamond rings on the bottom of this page

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-stone-e-rings-eyecandy.29435/page-31

The smaller rose gold halo is by seller lan.bo4 on ebay and it''s slightly pinker, but still 14K.

The LOGR 14K one below is very coppery as you can see.

It will be interesting to see the 18K one next to the 14K one. Even these two 14K rose gold rings differ a little bit in color.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 10:56:36 PM
Date: 3/20/2009 10:12:19 PM

Karee,

I have a picture of my colored diamond rings on the bottom of this page

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-stone-e-rings-eyecandy.29435/page-31

The smaller rose gold halo is by seller lan.bo4 on ebay and it''s slightly pinker, but still 14K.

The LOGR 14K one below is very coppery as you can see.

It will be interesting to see the 18K one next to the 14K one. Even these two 14K rose gold rings differ a little bit in color.

Thanks, TL! Somehow I never came across these pictures. I think yours look more pink than most rose gold I''ve seen. And that''s what I want.

I can''t wait to see your new one!

I''ve tried to look up the bo.4 guy on ebay before, but it said that he had moved his store, and when I went to the new name, there was nothing for sale. Have you searched his stuff recently? If so, can I have the link to his store? :)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Thanks, TL!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got rose gold accents on a number of rings, a mixture of 9k, 14k and 18k and can say that there is no direct correlation between the karat weight and colour. I'm pretty sure that it depends solely on the % of copper alloy used.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results