shape
carat
color
clarity

question about PT950 platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

new new

Rough_Rock
PT 950 means 95% Platinum. This alloy is 950
parts Platinum per 1000 and 50 parts other metals.

Typically platinum is alloyed with copper, iridium, palladium, cobalt, ruthenium, tungsten, gallium or indium.

my question is, the 5% metals, does that matter what is it? which one is very common on market? and is ruthenium good?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Ruthenium? Did you mean rhodium? Also as an add on question: Any benefits of 950 over 900 plat?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert, but I did some plat research before buying my DH's wedding ring. I wanted a 90 plat/10 Iridium because it is harder than 95. If you have a ring with a lot of intricate detail that would be idea.

If I recall correctly, Plat/Palladium is not ideal for rings because it's fairly soft.

95 Plat/5 Ruthenium is the widely used for wedding rings and seems to be a good all-purpose and reliable mix.

Stay away from cobalt, which is brittle.

Oh, I just found this. I haven't looked at it closely, but seems to be a decent chart.
http://www.platinum-wedding-rings.com/platinum_alloy_information.html

new new

Rough_Rock
thanks for the information.

now I have two choics of PT950, one is with iridium. one is with ruthenium, which one is better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results