shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about make-up bases

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just reading about the BAFTAS here in the UK over the weekend & I am in awe of the actresses, particularly the close up shots of Angeline Jolie with a smooth, natural, dewy face. I have never been a foundation wearer & indeed only ever wore it on my wedding day & although it looked flawless, i felt akward, so what products would you ladies recommend to achieve this dewy, light, natural looking glow? Currently if I want a bit of extra, i use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, but generally on a daily basis I use a sweep of BB cream down my nose, chin & across my forehead, with under eye concealer. That's me done regarding base :lol:

You would think as my 40th approaches I would have resolved this issue! Any opinions on mineral foundations? My skin isn't bad, but I do have blemishes & dry cheeks, so dewy appeals.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/460099/BAFTAs-red-carpet-arrivals-Angelina-Jolie-and-Brad-Pitt-coordinate-outfits

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
For ease of application and comfort while wearing, the powdered mineral foundations from companies like Bare Minerals and Philosophy are a revelation. I especially like the little sponge in a jar that comes with Philosophy's Supernatural powder; it can be taken off and washed. You don't feel as if you are wearing a mask. I don't think I will ever go back to the liquid or pancake types.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear foundation on a daily basis. Most days, I wear eye make-up, a good moisturizer with SPF, and I'm good to go. For a more polished look, I will brush on a mineral powder (as a foundation). If I'm going out, I wear this foundation:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chanel-vitalumiere-aqua-ultra-light-skin-perfecting-makeup-spf-15/3142708?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=871&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_2_A
It's super-light and does not feel/look like a traditional foundation. You have to shake up the bottle before use and although it is super-sheer, it still offers some light coverage.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
boerumbiddy|1393350706|3622727 said:
For ease of application and comfort while wearing, the powdered mineral foundations from companies like Bare Minerals and Philosophy are a revelation. I especially like the little sponge in a jar that comes with Philosophy's Supernatural powder; it can be taken off and washed. You don't feel as if you are wearing a mask. I don't think I will ever go back to the liquid or pancake types.

I'm a big, big fan of the mineral makeups (Bare Minerals is the one I have used for 7 years now). It's enough to even out my complexion but not look fake or cakey. I also love that it has SPF and it really goes a long way. I wear makeup pretty much everyday but I only use one "jar" every month and a half or so.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually don't use a lot of foundation of any kind, daily anyway. On special occasions I mix a few liquids for heavy coverage, add my concealer over that, light powdering, then sometimes even a dusting of bareminerals over that. If I need it to be like....chisel proof. ;-)

IF I wear foundation during the day for anything else, it's usually a light dusting of bareminerals ready foundation over concealer.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO all those ladies are wearing medium+ to full coverage foundation.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1393354881|3622770 said:
IMO all those ladies are wearing medium+ to full coverage foundation.

Are you referring to the actresses that OP mentioned? If so, yes, I would agree. They are likely not wearing "light" foundation - that's a full-on face.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the ladies in the BAFTA red carpet link.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies. I have been tempted with Bare Minerals in the past, but never got any further. I also procrastinated about BB cream for about 12 months before buying some, and I wouldn't be without it now!

Do you recommend going into a shop to get myself colour matched, or would you trust their website, which asks you to chose the colour tone that you are & then recommends a shade? Is that risky, or is it light enough to be transclucsent?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I think you could get that look with Make Up Forever HD Liquid Foundation.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the mineral makeup fad has been over for a few years now? I don't really keep up with things anymore.

If you're going to invest in an expensive foundation (an infrequent wearer like you will get years out of a bottle) you should go to the counter to get matched. Since you already have lighter foundations, you're probably looking for a medium-full foundation with natural-dewy finish that is appropriate for dry skin. Any of the major brands will have something in that category.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I don't think it's fair to say that mineral make-up was a fad. It has been around since the 70's and it's still quite popular. These days, many leading brands do not contain potentially irritating ingredients like preservatives, parabens, mineral oil, chemical dyes, and fragrance. Many dermatologists recommend mineral makeup and most people who use it would agree that it feels lighter and/or more natural than traditional make-up.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make no mistake, those women are not natural, as in that perfect skin/dewy look took more than a little work, time, and plenty of highlighter. For instance, Lisa Eldridge - who does many of those celebs for various red carpet events, pretty much states outright that she has used Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector on just about every one of them. I know many here want to think that there is some "set it and forget it" way of looking dewy and wonderful all the time, but past about age 25, it just ain't so, and certainly not without periodic repairs of one's makeup throughout the day. I love that dewy look too, but I have still somewhat oily skin, and I'd look like an oil slick in about an hour. So consider your skin type before you decide on a look. I look "dewy" whether I will or nil, so... And if you have dry cheeks, or fine lines, a mineral base is likely going to accentuate that, so consider that too. I've tried mineral bases, and they all look truly hideous on me. However, the finely milled and pressed powder foundations like the one from Lancome, that works wet or dry, work really well. Go figure.

I would go and get a sample first, and then wear it for a few days and check it under all lighting conditions for color and cakeyness. I would also go to Lisa Eldridge's site and go to her "basics" tutorial videos on how to color match your own foundation (I've had some salespersons who were clearly smoking something to give me such dark, yellowish bases) which ones for which skin types, coverage levels, and how to apply. Some foundations are longwear and set really quickly, so application technique is really important, while some are more forgiving. The Makeup HD can be a bit trickier than some, for instance, since it has such a high level of pigment. She has great info there. I can't praise that site enough really. At 50, my makeup had become perfunctory and my skin was looking kinda meh. Her site inspired me to learn about the newer formulations and really start seriously taking care of my skin again. I feel it has paid off quite a bit.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I like to wear the Bare Minerals ready foundation. It is a pressed powder compact.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love Bare Minerals - I use the matte formula in the jar (loose powder, not the "Ready" pressed version). I've used it for years now, love it, and can not ever see myself using anything but this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any form of powder foundation (pressed, loose or mineral based) only accentuates any dry skin areas. I find Korean BB creams to work better for me if I need some cover-up; my favourite is Missha Signature Real which has SPF and no Parabens, mineral oil, alcohol and etc.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1393424936|3623364 said:
Any form of powder foundation (pressed, loose or mineral based) only accentuates any dry skin areas. I find Korean BB creams to work better for me if I need some cover-up; my favourite is Missha Signature Real which has SPF and no Parabens, mineral oil, alcohol and etc.

I worry about my skin getting dryer & also stuff settling in the fine lines under my eyes :( I actually went into a department store today, but there was NOBODY on the Bare Minerals counter. The girl from the Clarins counter next door said the BM girl had left & they had yet to replace her, so all they could do was straight up over the counter purchases for customers who knew exactly what they wanted... :nono:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does BM still send out free or trial sized samples? Perhaps you can try that? I did so a few years ago and whilst the coverage was good and easy to apply, it made my skin break out.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think Bare Minerals is going to give you the look you are going for, I think you need a liquid for that dewy look. I second the recommendation for Make Up Forever HD foundation. The make up artist I used for my wedding used this line and he also does a lot of celebrity clients for events. I have tried most of the high end foundations and this one is the best by far. I apply it with a slightly damp Beauty Blender sponge (a must have item). I get compliments on my skin all the time when I am wearing it. It gives great coverage but does not feel or look cakey or heavy at all.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1393431389|3623431 said:
Does BM still send out free or trial sized samples? Perhaps you can try that? I did so a few years ago and whilst the coverage was good and easy to apply, it made my skin break out.
The only one I can use bare faced is the ready one. Otherwise I use it over liquid. I have to have the barrier.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the only way I can recreate the celebrity red-carpet look is to highlight & contour pretty heavily over regular foundation, and finish off with a slightly shimmery finishing powder over the highlights on forehead and cheeks. For everyday I just do incredibly basic under cheekbones contour and the shimmery finishing powder on forehead and cheeks, over no foundation or just bb cream.

http://www.oncewed.com/diy/contour-and-highlight/
http://www.allure.com/makeup-looks/2014/how-to-contour-and-highlight#slide=1

eta: ah, here's the one I was looking for: http://www.maskcara.com/2012/11/10/hac-yourself-flawless/

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1393369678|3622932 said:
Make no mistake, those women are not natural, as in that perfect skin/dewy look took more than a little work, time, and plenty of highlighter. For instance, Lisa Eldridge - who does many of those celebs for various red carpet events, pretty much states outright that she has used Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector on just about every one of them. I know many here want to think that there is some "set it and forget it" way of looking dewy and wonderful all the time, but past about age 25, it just ain't so, and certainly not without periodic repairs of one's makeup throughout the day. I love that dewy look too, but I have still somewhat oily skin, and I'd look like an oil slick in about an hour. So consider your skin type before you decide on a look. I look "dewy" whether I will or nil, so... And if you have dry cheeks, or fine lines, a mineral base is likely going to accentuate that, so consider that too. I've tried mineral bases, and they all look truly hideous on me. However, the finely milled and pressed powder foundations like the one from Lancome, that works wet or dry, work really well. Go figure.

I would go and get a sample first, and then wear it for a few days and check it under all lighting conditions for color and cakeyness. I would also go to Lisa Eldridge's site and go to her "basics" tutorial videos on how to color match your own foundation (I've had some salespersons who were clearly smoking something to give me such dark, yellowish bases) which ones for which skin types, coverage levels, and how to apply. Some foundations are longwear and set really quickly, so application technique is really important, while some are more forgiving. The Makeup HD can be a bit trickier than some, for instance, since it has such a high level of pigment. She has great info there. I can't praise that site enough really. At 50, my makeup had become perfunctory and my skin was looking kinda meh. Her site inspired me to learn about the newer formulations and really start seriously taking care of my skin again. I feel it has paid off quite a bit.

Everything she said, almost word for word.

The one foundation I've been wearing lately and I like, when I apply it with a light hand and over well moisturized skin, is Estee Lauder Double Wear. It gives me a look between that's not dewey and not matte, but somewhere in the middle leaning more towards matte, which is what looks best on me, since neither extreme would work well for my age and/or skin.

Oh, and I triple back the recommendation to get samples, wear them for a few days and check the color and texture in all different kinds of lighting. I too have had plenty of poor recommendations from salespersons. What I like about the Estee Lauder line is that the foundations have a number/color system that tell you undertone and darkness. So like 1N1, 1N2, etc. Every foundation line should be done this way. One salesperson recommended one with a C in it (cool) and I took the sample even though I know I am better off with a N (neutral). Sure enough, when I looked at it under the sunlight it was a complete mismatch and looked horrible.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex, are you near a Sephora? I've found their reps to be more helpful than dept stores. If you can find one outside of a mall that's even better so you can step outside and check yourself in natural lighting. A primer is a must have for mineral foundation. I use Laura Mercier because their shade was the closest match. If you want fresh looking skin I highly recommend an exfoliant you will use regularly. I notice a bigger benefit from that than I do lotions.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I was a longtime Prescriptives user, but after they stopped selling in retail stores I was in search for a new foundation. I got many makeovers, a number of which I could not wait to get home and wash the makeup off. The best place I go to here is Sephora. I was color matched (they have a machine that helps pinpoint your best match foundation based on what you are looking for) and I even got samples to bring home to test. Always ask for samples to take home so that you can see how the foundation wears on you. Sometimes foundation does not last long on your face or the color can oxidize on you.

But foundation itself will not make you look flawless. Moisturizer is key to make your skin look great. Also, finding a great primer truly helps the foundation go on effortlessly (also, makeup brushes make it all so much easier) . Finally you can always use a setting spray or powder to get the makeup effect your are looking for. I use NYX setting spray (I use the matte spray when the weather get hot and the dewy one in the winter) and I also use Ben Nye banana powder to set my makeup and it does not budge no matter what.

So I do use some high end products, but also use some middle and low end stuff as well as long as they work for me.

My splurges are foundation (Diorskin Flawless), Laura Mercier radiance primer (for special occasions or sometimes I use it alone) and her concealer, Bobbi Brown gel liner and cream blush. I use Clinique blush in Aglow for everyday. I use a lot of NYX stuff - matte eyeshadows, correctors, setting spray, correctors. My moisturizer is Cerave (the best moisturizer I have ever used and inexpensive!) And I have all the Real Technique makeup brushes.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also recommend Sephora, or Nordstrom. Get samples first, narrow down the samples to what you want to buy. Idk about Nordstrom but at Sephora you can return anything, even open/partially-used, even without a receipt, so that is good in case trying it three times with the sample didn't reveal a problem that crops up when you wear it for a week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results