shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Grading and Certification

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laru0283

Rough_Rock
I''m new to the forums, though I''ve been reading and viewing rings on here for quite some time. I recently got engaged on Christmas Day, after waiting for 5 years for my fiance to take the plunge!
2.gif

I love my ring (though yellow gold is not my fave. I must wait until we have the money to convert it to white gold/platinum or maybe get a diff. setting if he allows me
9.gif
)
My fiance was very worried that I wouldn''t like the ring and worried that he bought a fake one. He doesn''t know much about diamonds, and refused to take me shopping with him to help (he''s very traditional) I love him for his chivalry and wanting to be "the man" about everything, but I''m worried that the jeweler may not have been completely honest. The diamond is real, I can tell that much, but there was no certification or grading paperwork that came with it when he bought it. I asked him if he had anything like that given to him and he said no. I don''t want to get him worried, or worse, hurt his feelings. He was so proud of himself when he saw my face on Christmas morning.
I had read some other posts about princess cuts not having grading specs yet, and I was wondering if I should be concerned that my diamond didn''t come with this literature. If necessary, is there a way to have it graded and certified? Does it need to be for insurance purposes?

Sorry for the bad pic, I took this just after Christmas and this is the best one I could get out of my camera. I will try to get better ones soon maybe in the sunlight.

Any help would be appreciated, I know you guys are the best!!
1.gif

ring122506.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you want it insured, I guess you'd have to have independent appraisal done? how will they know how much to replace it with if you don't know it is?

if you want a cut grade, AGS style, you can send it to an appraiser with the PGS software.

i like the yellow gold very much!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the yellow gold!!

Perhaps you could say to your fiance that for the purposes of getting your ring insured to help protect it, you would like to get an independant appraisal done if he is agreeable? Diamonds are sold without grading reports all the time, I would have thought you would have got a receipt or sales slip describing the diamond and it''s value etc?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 3:53:06 AM
Author: Lorelei
Another vote for the yellow gold!!

Perhaps you could say to your fiance that for the purposes of getting your ring insured to help protect it, you would like to get an independant appraisal done if he is agreeable? Diamonds are sold without grading reports all the time, I would have thought you would have got a receipt or sales slip describing the diamond and it''s value etc?
I agree. This should definitely be done, no matter what the circumstances, whenever there is no certficate.

You might explain to him that if it''s not insured, and you lose it, all that money will be down the drain.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
as mentioned already, insurance is a good idea so you may want to get an appraisal.

congrats! enjoy your ring!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its comforting to know the ring is worth what was paid for it and that the diamond is properly set and secure. The seller might be able to give you an appraisal, sales document, that will cover your need for a description for insurance, but that still leavs a person not sure of the true value or security of the stone.

Of course, an appraisal can be done by another party. It is best to find an independent, non-competing expert, to do the work. If you are in a matroplitan area you may find someone local and save a costly bit of shipping both ways.

Take a look at the appraisers listed on Pricescope to see if someone is near you. On a distant basis, there are many of us willing to assist you, so there is no problem finding out everything you want to know.

laru0283

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone! I''ll definitely get it appraised when I get it insured. We''ll be moving to Indianapolis in the next few months, so I''m hoping to have a better selection of resources! If you know of any good appraisers that you''ve used close to Indianapolis, let me know, I''d appreciate it!
35.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 11:01:55 PM
Author:laru0283
I''m new to the forums, though I''ve been reading and viewing rings on here for quite some time. I recently got engaged on Christmas Day, after waiting for 5 years for my fiance to take the plunge!
2.gif

I love my ring (though yellow gold is not my fave. I must wait until we have the money to convert it to white gold/platinum or maybe get a diff. setting if he allows me
9.gif
)
My fiance was very worried that I wouldn''t like the ring and worried that he bought a fake one. He doesn''t know much about diamonds, and refused to take me shopping with him to help (he''s very traditional) I love him for his chivalry and wanting to be ''the man'' about everything, but I''m worried that the jeweler may not have been completely honest. The diamond is real, I can tell that much, but there was no certification or grading paperwork that came with it when he bought it. I asked him if he had anything like that given to him and he said no. I don''t want to get him worried, or worse, hurt his feelings. He was so proud of himself when he saw my face on Christmas morning.
I had read some other posts about princess cuts not having grading specs yet, and I was wondering if I should be concerned that my diamond didn''t come with this literature. If necessary, is there a way to have it graded and certified? Does it need to be for insurance purposes?

Sorry for the bad pic, I took this just after Christmas and this is the best one I could get out of my camera. I will try to get better ones soon maybe in the sunlight.

1.gif
i would suspect the diamond is set in yellow gold because the diamond itself is a J/K color and the YG makes it less noticeable. Switching to a WG setting with that stone may make it look yellower so keep that in mind. you may want to keep a YG setting with that stone.

Just to clarify though, what benefit are you trying to get in having it appraised or knowing it''s grading? Would you be able to return it or go back to the seller and request a discount? If you could I understand but if the deal is done already then what benefit will you get in knowng what the true grade is. i''m just afraid it will make you enjoy your ring less... if you need for insurance purposes the seller i''m sure could make an appraisal for you whcih would suffice.

laru0283

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 101.46%; HEIGHT: 586px">Date: 2/7/2007 3:30:37 PM
Author: DBM

Date: 2/6/2007 11:01:55 PM
Author:laru0283
2.gif

9.gif
)
My fiance was very worried that I wouldn''t like the ring and worried that he bought a fake one. He doesn''t know much about diamonds, and refused to take me shopping with him to help (he''s very traditional) I love him for his chivalry and wanting to be ''the man'' about everything, but I''m worried that the jeweler may not have been completely honest. The diamond is real, I can tell that much, but there was no certification or grading paperwork that came with it when he bought it. I asked him if he had anything like that given to him and he said no. I don''t want to get him worried, or worse, hurt his feelings. He was so proud of himself when he saw my face on Christmas morning.

1.gif
i would suspect the diamond is set in yellow gold because the diamond itself is a J/K color and the YG makes it less noticeable. Switching to a WG setting with that stone may make it look yellower so keep that in mind. you may want to keep a YG setting with that stone.

Just to clarify though, what benefit are you trying to get in having it appraised or knowing it''s grading? Would you be able to return it or go back to the seller and request a discount? If you could I understand but if the deal is done already then what benefit will you get in knowng what the true grade is. i''m just afraid it will make you enjoy your ring less... if you need for insurance purposes the seller i''m sure could make an appraisal for you whcih would suffice.
Daniel-
Do you think the diamond looks yellow? It doesn''t to me in person, I know the pic is a bit crummy. I had thought about this and wanting it set in WG. I guess I''ll just have to take it to a jeweler to see how it looks.
I know the post makes me sound ungrateful and a little snooty, I guess I''m just a detail junkie. I love the diamond, and I understand what you''re saying about being disappointed with it if I do get the specs. I guess I thought it meant I had a bad diamond if it didn''t come with the grading.
33.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Oh no NOT AT ALL did it sound like you were ungrateful or snooty. that wasn''t my intention to convey. I''m just saying objectively, why should we choose to know about a possibly unrefundable problem when we can be in ignorant bliss about it :) if the deal is done then there''s no point in looking back (I''m sure there''s some application to the concept of marriage itself in there somewhere also :) )

The pic did look a little off to me but it''s just a pic so it doesn''t mean anything. In my honest opinion-- He loves you, he bought you the stone out of Love for you - it''s priceless!! Down the road if you want something that gives you more bling bling on your finger you can always put it in a bezel and wear it as a pendant and get a nicer stone for your 10th anniversary or something.

A diamond sold without the certificate is not necessarily a problem. Sometimes i choose to sell diamonds without the certificate because the certificate makes it to be a worse diamond than it really is. No certifcate isn''t necessarily a problem.

Enjoy

Daniel

laru0283

Rough_Rock
I would love to get a great close-up shot of the stone itself, it has this beautiful faint blue tint in the sunlight. I didn''t notice it until we went to a club and it was glowing. At first I was scared because I didn''t realize that diamonds did that. Then I searched PS about it and was relieved when I found out some diamonds are supposed to do that!
1.gif

anyways, my camera sucks. I don''t know why, maybe it''s on the wrong setting or something, but it won''t get a good closeup shot. It won''t zoom very well on the stone so I always end up with pics of my hand instead of the ring.
8.gif

I''ll keep trying though!!!! Thanks!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like he already got his feelings hurt.
Keep in mind if you get the stone evaluated and you and he are not pleased with the results and the price this may cause tension between you two.

Perhaps if the deal is done and there is no refund possible (which I suspect) it would be better to just enjoy it.
You can still work on your diamond training for your next purchase.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 4:47:46 PM
Author: laru0283
I would love to get a great close-up shot of the stone itself, it has this beautiful faint blue tint in the sunlight. I didn''t notice it until we went to a club and it was glowing. At first I was scared because I didn''t realize that diamonds did that. Then I searched PS about it and was relieved when I found out some diamonds are supposed to do that!
1.gif

anyways, my camera sucks. I don''t know why, maybe it''s on the wrong setting or something, but it won''t get a good closeup shot. It won''t zoom very well on the stone so I always end up with pics of my hand instead of the ring.
8.gif

I''ll keep trying though!!!! Thanks!
i''ve actually lately been tinkering with taking digital pics of diamonds myself and i''ve found the best way to take the pic is on top of a professionally made diamond sorting tray. Apparently they coat it with some sort of layer that prevents the light shined upon it from shining back with glare, thereby allowing the camera to adjust. the difference is enormous.

You''re not the first person i''ve met that likes the Blue-White flash of fluoroscent diamonds.

laru0283

Rough_Rock
I wish I had a professional tray to photograph on. I''m hoping for a sunny day on my next day off. It''s been pretty rainy here lately and everytime the sun comes out, it''s when I''m working and I can''t snap a good pic
20.gif

Speaking of the blue-white fluorescent diamonds, do you think they look better set in WG or YG? Does the fluorescence affect the way a diamond looks in the setting? Just wondering...
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results