shape
carat
color
clarity

question about cut...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golden

Shiny_Rock
hi how is everyone? it is so cold outside!!

why do some emerald cuts look wider (more squarish) and then others look longer (more rectangular)?
is this something you have to specify when buying an emerald cut?

thank you!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are different because of the lenth to width ratio. if you have a certain look that you like, you will just look for something within those dimensions.

6.00mmx9.00mm will be a nice rectangular emerald while 6.00mmx8.00mm will be more squaretangular
37.gif
and of course, 6.00mmx6.00mm will be perfectly square.
2.gif

golden

Shiny_Rock
hey thank u for betting back so quick!

so what is ideal or typical for emerald cuts? the long rectangular look? squarish?

do you have an ec ring?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, you just need to find what YOU like. i think the definite rectangular (not too long!) look better. once you start getting more square, you have an ''asscher'' (which is a square emerald cut)

no, i dont have an ec but i can appreciate the look!
3.gif

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Hey belle....here''s a little something for you to digest.

You can have two exact measurement (LxW) ratio emerald cuts and one can "look" longer or shorter than the other.

How''s that done Bill?

Well, I''m glad you asked belle. If the corners are tapered toward the end rather than a 45 degree corner, it will make the stone look SHORTER.

Taper them towards the side and you make the stone look longer.

It''s a littlel cutter''s trick.

Bill Bray
Diamond cutter

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
What's ideal in an emerald shape? Well standard is typically 1:1.5.... they range a lot of course from 1:1.25-1.75 and sometimes even outside that range like up to 1:2, etc.

BUT if you're looking for a "stock" ring that is not custom made you're better off with a 1:1.25-1.50 ... you'll have a heck of a hard time finding a mounting for something pretty skinny like say 1:1.75 or more, unless it is prong set and has lots of room to play with but even then it may be tough if it's close to 1:2 ratio.

Standard sizes are typically 5x3, 6x4, 7x5, 8x6, 9x7, 10x8, 11x9, etc... and you should stick close to that especially if you're going to get something say bezel set or with a halo.

Of course if you're going custom made none of that matters since they make it based on your stones dimensions and you should just get whatever you prefer :)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2007 6:46:36 PM
Author: golden
hey thank u for betting back so quick!

so what is ideal or typical for emerald cuts? the long rectangular look? squarish?

do you have an ec ring?
Nothing ideal or typical for Emeralds....

I have noticed that it greatly depends on geography...
For example: in Europe they go for the squarish models (1:1.10 to1.35+/-)
in US. longer models (1:1.35 to 1.60+/-)

Its a matter of taste...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results