shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about CUT of a diamond. (5)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
The diamond i''m looking at has a Cut rate of (5)

The jeweler doesn''t rate by IDEAL CUT, GOOD CUT.

What would a (5) be considered? thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
More information? That is the vendor's own way of rating a stone, no way to know unless we can compare it with a ASET/IS image and maybe a report?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 11:37:12 AM
Author:drivesafe
The diamond i'm looking at has a Cut rate of (5)

The jeweler doesn't rate by IDEAL CUT, GOOD CUT.

What would a (5) be considered? thanks!
Hi drivesafe,

What does this cut grade of 5 pertain to? As in is this the jewellers own grading method?

Can you post the following please?

Type of grading report and cut grade if applicable

depth%
table%
crown and pavilion angles
girdle thickness
diameter measurement
polish and symmetry grades

Then we will know more as to the type of cut quality.

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
I will try to get all this info today.

thanks for the quick reply!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 12:09:44 PM
Author: drivesafe
I will try to get all this info today.

thanks for the quick reply!
You are most welcome, post the info when you get it and I will take a look for you!

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lorelei do you have an email address? i would like to forward you my jewelers email.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 11:32:34 AM
Lorelei do you have an email address? i would like to forward you my jewelers email.

Thanks!
Hi drivesafe,

We aren't able to PM or use emails here, sorry!
35.gif

Maybe you could post some of the non sensitive contents of the email in the thread then I can take a look that way?

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
ahh i c! okay heres the reports!

Here are the measurements of your diamond:

Type of grading report and cut grade if applicable: It is double certified GIa and Gem-ex
depth% 57.1%
table% 67%
crown and pavilion angles 31.5, 39.8
girdle thickness thick
diameter measurement 7.39*7.42*4.23mm
polish and symmetry grades Good, Good

ASET/IS image and maybe a report? This does not measure light performance. It is on AGS reports but carries no validity. AGS came out with it because Gem-Ex is now the premier certificate on diamonds because it measure overall light performance. This machine does not and is basic. We do have this machine in our store. It is a way for an AGS report to seem like a Gem-Ex.

If you want a Triple 0 cut grade, I do have it, and it is the same color and clarity. However, as you saw the diamonds side by side, the diamond you chose actually outperformed the other 58 facet diamonds including this triple 0 ideal Crown Jewel Diamond. The cut grade of 0-10 by the AGS is theory. The Gem-Ex report shows actually the exact sparkle and light return on a diamond. It takes in account, cut, color and clarity and tells us which diamond is better. The diamond you chose has a higher light performance than the AGS triple 0 cut diamond at $XX,XXX. If you want, you can come by and see it today next to it and decide. For the value the diamond you chose has incredible light performance and it looks larger in diameter as well.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 11:39:23 AM

Type of grading report and cut grade if applicable: It is double certified GIa and Gem-ex
depth% 57.1%
table% 67%
girdle thickness thick

ASET/IS image and maybe a report? This does not measure light performance. It is on AGS reports but carries no validity. AGS came out with it because Gem-Ex is now the premier certificate on diamonds because it measure overall light performance. This machine does not and is basic. We do have this machine in our store. It is a way for an AGS report to seem like a Gem-Ex.

If you want a Triple 0 cut grade, I do have it, and it is the same color and clarity. However, as you saw the diamonds side by side, the diamond you chose actually outperformed the other 58 facet diamonds including this triple 0 ideal Crown Jewel Diamond. The cut grade of 0-10 by the AGS is theory. The Gem-Ex report shows actually the exact sparkle and light return on a diamond. It takes in account, cut, color and clarity and tells us which diamond is better. The diamond you chose has a higher light performance than the AGS triple 0 cut diamond at $XX,XXX. If you want, you can come by and see it today next to it and decide. For the value the diamond you chose has incredible light performance and it looks larger in diameter as well.
I''m having a hard time following this post but am going to assume this what the jeweler told you? Just based on that I''d run.
As far as the numbers, I don''t think I''ve ever seen such a shallow combo posted on here before. Again, run for the hills.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Super weird cut. Might have fish-eye.

Crazy comments by the jeweler, as previous poster suggest, run for the hills.

EDT:
Gem-Ex has no repeatability, you could run a stone through it multiples time and comes out with different results.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

depth% 57.1%
table% 67%
girdle thickness thick

YUCK
40.gif
- pass on this one, it isn't cut well at all!

Sorry drive, you can do much better than this rock!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

depth% 57.1%

table% 67%

girdle thickness thick

Fascinating comments (like in a bad way).

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gals/Guys I already purchased this diamond from the local Jeweler! I hope I can return it! its only been 4 days!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:17:41 PM
Gals/Guys I already purchased this diamond from the local Jeweler! I hope I can return it! its only been 4 days!
Well in that case it''s gorgeous.
emsmileo.gif

Seriously though, return it. come back, tell us your price range and what you''re looking for in a stone. (e.g. color, clarity, carat.) and we''ll find something that meets your specs , but it''ll also be beautiful
1.gif

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
im looking at my receipt and its a 30 day return policy!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 12:17:41 PM
LOL! You had me thinking you were considering it, not that you had bought it!

Conflagration

Rough_Rock
So the diamond you were looking at in your first post, you already owned? I know what you mean as I have made purchases and wanted reassurance before. Good luck returning it. The people here are very knowledgeable and will help find a stone that is cut properly.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:29:10 PM
Send it back immediately then. Tell us your budget and expected spec and we will help you find something.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
yucky.gif
YICKS!! I can''t imagine the jeweler could believe this stone has a high light performance!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 12:29:10 PM
Ok I just saw this edit, I would return it in that case, my guess is you aren''t that happy with it anyway even before you asked about it here.

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
To be honest... this is my first diamond I''ve ever purchased. I''ve been trying to learn the "C''s" but there''s so much more then the "C''s"

The diamond looks great from what I can tell. Its a 1.51 that looks like a 1.71
its a 5 Cut H/SI1 paid $11615.00 plus tax.

I actually stopped by during lunch to return it and I was told it was a great diamond for my budget and I didn''t have the nerves to return it. I couldn''t say my all time favorite forum Pricescope
35.gif
friends helped me! sad...

I don''t have a diamond friend or expert here in so I really don''t know what to do. I really like to trust the Jewelers.

Would it be against forums rules to post my phone number or email for someone to help me with this? all I want is a happy FIANCE!
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is cut to the weight threshold of 1.5 as can be seen by the very thick girdle, probably from a left over chip of a rough from a larger diamond.

This would be a better choice. Ask JA for an Idealscope image.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1230971.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Probably against forum rule to post your number and you will get swamp by junk calls.

If you really want a second opinion, get an independent appraisal. Find one near you using this link. https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Drivesafe,

Are you a jeweler or was this copied from something your jeweler sent you?

Nonsense.

The ASET image found on the AGSL reports has nothing whatsoever to do with Gemex nor do they claim it does, and Gemex isn’t even close to the top way of evaluating diamonds in any other environment than in the minds and showrooms of the Gemex dealers.

What exactly Gemex measures is a highly debatable topic but it is far from accepted that this is a measure of ‘overall diamond performance’ or even that it's useful at all as a shopping tool. It ranks subject diamonds on 3 proprietary scales that cannot be compared with anything outside of their secret system and to call this the ‘premier certificate on diamonds’ is a gross overstatement.

AGS revised their cut grading system in 2005 to better use currently available technology and remedy some problems associated with a 2 dimensional description of a 3 dimensional object. The ASET is a visual way of displaying some complicated data to make it easier to evaluate. Whether you like ASET or even AGSL is another debatable topic but to summarily dismiss them as a Gemex knockoff is absurd.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 2:21:33 PM
To be honest... this is my first diamond I''ve ever purchased. I''ve been trying to learn the ''C''s'' but there''s so much more then the ''C''s''

The diamond looks great from what I can tell. Its a 1.51 that looks like a 1.71 Actually despite the shallow proportions it has a similar diameter to a well cut 1.5ct so it doesn''t appear to be facing up large for the weight.
its a 5 Cut H/SI1 paid $11615.00 plus tax.

I actually stopped by during lunch to return it and I was told it was a great diamond for my budget and I didn''t have the nerves to return it. I couldn''t say my all time favorite forum Pricescope
35.gif
friends helped me! sad...

I don''t have a diamond friend or expert here in so I really don''t know what to do. I really like to trust the Jewelers.

Would it be against forums rules to post my phone number or email for someone to help me with this? all I want is a happy FIANCE!
1.gif
Sorry but the only way we can help is for us to do it on the open forums here. Honestly you can do better than this diamond and for the budget also, if you are open to buying online, we could post some suggestions for you from some of the trusted vendors.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 2:42:51 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
It is cut to the weight threshold of 1.5 as can be seen by the very thick girdle, probably from a left over chip of a rough from a larger diamond.

This would be a better choice. Ask JA for an Idealscope image.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1230971.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Probably against forum rule to post your number and you will get swamp by junk calls.

If you really want a second opinion, get an independent appraisal. Find one near you using this link. https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx
It is against forum policy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Drive-You can''t contact anyone here privately except for one of the appraisers who you will pay for a service. But PLEASE listen to us-your jeweler is full of it and that stone, when compared with a truly nice stone, will look like crapola.

You should NEVER feel pressured into not returning something-which is exactly what your jeweler did. BAD JEWELER.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 3:15:37 PM
Author: neatfreak
Drive-You can''t contact anyone here privately except for one of the appraisers who you will pay for a service. But PLEASE listen to us-your jeweler is full of it and that stone, when compared with a truly nice stone, will look like crapola.

You should NEVER feel pressured into not returning something-which is exactly what your jeweler did. BAD JEWELER.
Exactly. Of course he doesn''t want to lose a sale.

drivesafe

Rough_Rock
Trade
Neil Beaty,

I am the buyer of the diamond, my jeweler sent me that in an email.

Okay guys I''ll return the diamond later today and get my check back in 15 days
7.gif

once the check comes back i will be looking for a new diamond with the members help.

They also said they would send my out of store diamond to tacori and set it on the band i purchased.

Again thanks everyone! I will admit im such a Diamond newbie!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 3:22:40 PM
Neil Beaty,

I am the buyer of the diamond, my jeweler sent me that in an email.

Okay guys I''ll return the diamond later today and get my check back in 15 days
7.gif

once the check comes back i will be looking for a new diamond with the members help.

They also said they would send my out of store diamond to tacori and set it on the band i purchased.

Again thanks everyone! I will admit im such a Diamond newbie!
Why does the refund take so long? Why can''t he write you a cheque there and then?

PLEASE don''t feel bad about being new to this, we all had to start somewhere and look at it this way, you are a very smart shopper as you knew it would be a good idea to check here before the deal was done and finalized! There are good diamonds out there which will fit your budget so don''t worry, we will help you every step of the way!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results