shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about BScope & HCA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iceblue

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''m new and have a few questions regarding BScope reports and the HCA.

I was researching a few diamonds and two looked particulary great to me.

The specs are:

Stone 1

Weight: .912
Color: E
Clarity: VVS1
Diameter: 6.29mm
Total Depth: 60.9
Crown Angle: 34.2
Crown Height: 14.6
Pav. Angle: 41
Pav. Depth: 43.1
Cutlet: .6 very small
Table: 55.8
Girdle: 1.4 Med
Proportion: 0

Stone 2:

Weight: 1.086
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Diameter: 6.68
Total Depth: 60.8
Crown Angle: 34.2
Crown Height: 14.7
Pav. Angle: 41
Pav. Depth: 43.1
Cutlet: .7 Very Small
Table Size: 55.3
Girdle: 1.3 Med
Proportion: 0

Both score extremely high on the BScope Reports. VH2-VH3 across the board.

However, when I put in the Mega Scope
info into the HCA, both had a score of 1.4 with one Excellent and three Very Goods.

I''ve seen others post HCA scores of four Excellents, with a score of far below 1.

My question is, will the diamonds that have all Excellents and a HCA score below 1 score even higher than these diamonds on the BScope? I don''t think I''ve seen higher than H2-H3 across the board.

Is it worth it to find a diamond that scores higher on the HCA?

Also, I know that cut is the biggest factor in the way a stone''s brilliance and sparkle is, but does clarity have anything to do with it? Is it a better idea to get a bigger stone with VS2 clarity or a smaller stone with VVS1 clarity if both had an excellent cut?

Thanks!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings Iceblue,

Concerning your question regarding HCA vs B'scope scores I think I am a little qualified to answer your question. You have to keep in mind that HCA is only judging diamonds based on 17 out of 57-58 facets on the diamond and it assumes perfect symmetry. Our lab has ran optical tests on diamonds with HCA scores as low as .3-.5 and up. While it is a very good indicator of internal reflectivity within a diamond it can not tell you a. optical precision and b. intensity and distribution of light within the diamond. The BrillianceScope data and the images is showing you the orchestration of not 17 facets but all 58 of them including all 40 minor facets. Time and time again clients who come to our store get to compare these results with their own eyes and time and again (most) choose the stone (without us telling them which is which) the diamond with the high B'scope results. So, even though I am a competitor of the vendor you're looking at stones with, my unbiased opinion is if you have narrowed down your choices to these 2 stones you need not look further for a stone with higher (better) HCA results.

Between the 2 you do mention my advice as to which stone would be this ....

a. The .9xct E VVS1 is a more rare diamond. If size is not the determining factor that would be my pick.
b. If size is her bag baby ... then the 1.08ct is the ticket.
1.gif

I would also recommend having any diamond you choose verified by an independant appraiser of your choice.

My .02c,

Rhino

iceblue

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your help!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/22/2003 8:38:52 PM iceblue wrote:
Also, I know that cut is the biggest factor in the way a stone's brilliance and sparkle is, but does clarity have anything to do with it? Is it a better idea to get a bigger stone with VS2 clarity or a smaller stone with VVS1 clarity if both had an excellent cut?

Thanks!----------------
The answer to this question comes down to personal choice, Ice. Both the VVS and the VS stone should be eye clean at this carat weight, so there should no difference to the unaided eye.

For the reason, I think you'd find that the overwhelming majority of participants on this board would select the larger stone (assuming that the price on both stones is similar). You could count me among that majority, too. In this instance, I'd rather pay for something that I can see (larger stone) than something I cannot see (diff between VVS & VS.)

There are a few folks who post here who are purists....they want to highest color/clarity they can get even if it means sacrificing carat weight. It depends on which is more important to you.

Most importantly.....either should be a beautiful stone, and both should be eye clean.

Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/22/2003 11:58
6.gif
5 PM Rhino wrote:
I would also recommend having any diamond you choose verified by an independant appraiser of your choice.

My .02c,

Rhino----------------
Rhino, because I have a great deal of respect for you, I'm choosing to believe that the emphasis on "your" in italics is not an intentional swipe from a previous thread.

I hope I'm right in giving the benefit of the doubt. You've always conducted yourself like a gentleman here, and it would be a shame to expect any less.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Al,

This would be my consistent advice were the other thread in existence or not. The other thread or personal feelings has no bearing on the practical advice I give people here on PS concerning diamonds and my honest opinion concerning their questions.

There was nothing personal intented and the advice I shared with iceblue I would share with any ...

When purchasing a diamond on the Internet I would ALWAYS recommend having any diamond you choose verified by an independant appraiser of your choice. To this I would add ... Research the appraisers, find out their credentials, length on time serving this fine industry, the equipment they utilize to get the job done, etc. There are many fine ones to choose from and there are some greats recommended here on the boards. Pick the appraiser of your choice and get the ball rolling. DON'T KEEP THAT GIRL WAITING ANY LONGER THAN SHE HAS TO!
3.gif
HEHE

I'll give that advice from now till the day I die aljdewey.
1.gif

Peace,
Rhino

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Now ALJD,.... Would that face tell a tale???
2.gif

Hi Ice Blue
wavey.gif

For my $0.02 on the diamonds. If they are priced right and neither is a problem for your wallet, I'd go bigger. Quite a diameter difference between the 2 that will definitely be noticible.
love.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I, of course, agree with PQ...the second stone is still amazing in both color and clarity. In my opinion VVS is a waste of anyone's money unless they can afford the other 3c's as well and get exactly what they want. Or they have oodles of $$ to spend. You can't even see inclusions in VS much less VVS. Go for the bigger ctw, hands down
2.gif

It's really all about your priorities, but I have a tale...my coworker has a diamond, very pretty, I think she said its a .80c stone. Anyway when she told me about it's quality, she said they didnt want a big stone so they put the $$ into quality, so I think she said it was like a D VVS1 or something. Personally I'm thinking 'you wasted your money but okay', vocally I am sayin how great it was, and yes it was very pretty. A few months later I had my stone, and I offered to clean my coworkers. Since she never cleans it, she said sure, and I Got out my little cleaning tools (stored both at home and conveniently at work as well!), cleaned up both stones. She had meetings so she left her ring with me (?!?!?!?) and then came back for it later. In that time, I cleaned it, put it on my finger next to my stone, on the finger next to mine, stared at it for a long time, moved it around, sparkled it under the office lights, etc etc. I swear I think my stone looked better. Her cut is pretty good, probably not quite H&A or 'ideal' but very nice and sparkly.

Anyhow--moral of that story is that my stone looked better, was bigger, and probably was cheaper or same price as her top quality, well cut, ideal excellently blah blah stone. All of that 'well my stone is almost flawless and colorless' doesn't hold much water with me. It's about spending what you got wisely on a purchase where many of the sellers are out to fleece you. I have no idea what she paid for her ring, its beautiful, but I felt pretty darn good about my AGS7 stone that day (and every day!).

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results