shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about a ring I bought and can return

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
So, my husband and I have been looking for our first diamond ring. We have been saving for 12 years. We have bought and returned two emerald cut diamonds from two different online vendors. Neither one of them worked for us.

We wound up seeing a ring that caught my eye and asked to try it on. The ring is platinum. The center stone is a disproportionate asscher so it looks like an emerald cut. It is I in color with VS2 clarity. It is GIA certified. The table on this is 76% with the depth being 59%. This stone in the middle is 1.89 carats. There is a half carat trapezoids on either side that are H in color. The ring cost me just under 19,000.00. This is a pretty good deal considering there is almost 3 carats worth of diamond there.

should I keep the ring? Or should I buy a stone online so I can get colorless and potentially better quality and have a designer try to replicate the mount with the same size trapezoids?

My whole life I dreamed of an emerald cut diamond and it had to be certain clarity and color, etc. I am currently wearing the ring and have 28 days left to wear and see if I want it. Do you think it would be a better value to return the ring to the store and buy my diamond online and have someone make the mount that can get his hands on wholesale diamonds and makes his own mounts?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pics???????

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If YOU like how the diamonds are performing in your normal lighting conditions, it's worth keeping.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be honest with you...since you asked. I would return it. That asscher/emerald does not look at that well cut.
I'm guessing a setting like that would/could cost $6k which would leave you about $13k for the stone. I think it would be
worth it to have a well cut stone. You have a good budget (very good) and I would want to get the best you could for your
money.

Have you seen this setting? I think it has better proportions than the setting you have on. It lets the center stone shine
but backs it up with lots of bling.
https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/engagement/five-stone-ring-2-46-carat-emerald-diamond-detail

Victor Canera could also do a lovely job on a setting like that...
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement?shape=emerald-cut

Did you have help picking out your first two emeralds? What is the color/clarity of the ring you currently have?

$19K is a lot of money and the fact that you are on here even asking makes me think that its not the one.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you have it and are wearing it, can you take ALOT more pics with different lightings/ angles etc.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I would also vouch to return it. I just bought an extremely well cut 2.01 ct asscher G VVS2 recently. I am sure you can find, with the help of this forum, a great emerald cut for less than what you paid for that ring and get a setting however you want it. I don't like the minimal amount of specs you gave on the stone and I agree it doesn't look well cut but have only seen the one photo. Good luck deciding

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate your feedback. You guys are amazing. I think what I was struggling with is the fact that I see stones online with better stats than the center stone for a good deal.

I will get photos from differently angles and different lighting and share those as soon as I can.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 76 table is huge...like a big flat surface on top with very little crown. I don't look at emerald cut's or asschers that have more than about a 65% table and prefer smaller than that.

For pricing comps:

2.15 ct, I VS2 asscher at $13,820:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/2.15-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1078451

2.01 ct. I VS2 emerald cut at $12,400:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1140402

So bottom line, that center stone would be quite a bit less than these since it it under 2 cts (I couldn't find a diamond around 1.89). The setting with side stones could be around $5k depending on the side diamond quality. So you really could buy a better center stone above 2 cts and still be under $19k. That ring is overpriced. If it was more like $14-15k, it might be worth considering if you don't mind the large table.

You can create a ring that looks like that with a much better center stone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am seeing performance issues. Return it. What is your budget?

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Definitely return it. The helpful, seasoned, posters here will hook you up with something beautiful and dream ring worthy!

Q

Queenie60

If I were you - would take the advise of DS and Gypsy. They know what they're talking about. You're in the right place - these experts can help you to find a lovely stone within your budget. Good luck to you. :wavey:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW - I like the proportion of the stones in the ring - It's a bit different from what you usually see - just recreate it with higher quality.

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate your feedback. I tried covering up the side stones to eliminate the distraction of any sparkle from the side stones and I did not see much. It is beautiful to look down into the stone, though...like looking into a crystal clear pool of water.

I agree with you that the design is very nice and that if the ring were 14-15,000.00 it would be more appropriate. Whomever is surprised by this ring without much knowledge will be pleasantly surprised as it does throw fire. But, all along I was looking for the one stone that made my heart sing, THEN finding a mount for it. This mount is truly an inspiration for me. I like it but need thicker prongs, as well.

Where do I start with my search. My history is buying two stones online and not liking either one of them. I have had countless stones ordered in to jewelry stores and the prices are much more, but then I get to view the diamond.

I am, however, having a great time with the search. This is fun. I am glad I have this community to help me out.

What are the measurements that I should be looking for in an asscher? the same for an emerald? Yes, a table not more than 65% is the guideline I was looking for in the emerald cut diamond. Should there be a specific ratio to look for in an asscher? Or is this personal preference?

I really love colorless and I love fluorescence, even though I have been discouraged from fluorescence and even combining colorless with fluorescence.

I had a 1.38 round ideal cut diamond, E in color, with SI2 clarity, faint fluorescence and really liked it.

My budget is 15,000.00 for the center stone, so that I may allow enough for the mount. The mount need not be too expensive. I am okay with wearing a solitaire for a while, although it would be nice to have it all done within a short window of time.

I do not know how to tell the jewelry store about the return. They know that I am impressed with many things about it. I never did tell them that I was certain I was keeping it, even though they have cashed my check and I have it on my finger. The communication we have had over the phone sounded final on her end. I think I will surprise her with the return and I do not know what to say. The jewelry store I bought it from has been very accommodating to me and my husband. I can highly recommend them to others, but I think I am the type of person that is going to conduct my search online. It is a pretty good deal to have diamond vendors pay and insure the packages until I find the one that sings to me.

I would like to not have to have too many transactions, if possible.

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Thank you DiamondSeeker2006 for the comps. I love the cut on the emerald cut diamond, but I think I want to go colorless. I will do a search through pricescope

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Gypsy-
I am looking for a 2 carat colorless asscher with fluorescence. I would like to stay around the 15,000.00 mark but understand that I may need to increase the amount. We can increase it, if need be with a cap of 20,000.00 for the whole ring. We do want side stones-either a three stone ring or a 5 stone ring.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of returning the ring, you can be honest with the store... maybe something along the lines of: now that you've had it on your finger for a short while, you realize what you love about it is the overall look and proportions, but not the actual diamonds or the ring itself, so you are returning it for refund. You can add that you'll be taking a short break from shopping further for your dream ring but of course will keep them in mind. This last statement sort of preempts the store from trying to sell you something else or suggesting an exchange.

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Marymm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
4114heidi|1468604151|4055788 said:
Gypsy-
I am looking for a 2 carat colorless asscher with fluorescence. I would like to stay around the 15,000.00 mark but understand that I may need to increase the amount. We can increase it, if need be with a cap of 20,000.00 for the whole ring. We do want side stones-either a three stone ring or a 5 stone ring.

Okay great. I can look for you.

Here's the thing about specs on an asscher. They are largely meaningless. You want to look at the spread for the carat weight and check the girdle to make sure it's safe. Beyond that-- specs are meaningless.

I will look for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree with Gypsy. Let her help you find one. You can only choose from vendors who have photos. No way to get a good one by numbers. I might like 1 out of 20 asschers or emerald cuts. You also will need to be more flexible regarding your preferences, because you want a certain size and budget, great cut first, then color/clarity, and the fluorescence just has to be optional. It's kind of like looking for a needle in a haystack when you put that many requirements.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to ignore your preference for fluorescence. It's unreasonably restrictive. And I'm going to look at 1.8 above. Based on rest of specs a 1.8 step cut could EASILY be larger than a 2.1 carat.

So we'll get to asschers in a moment. If you were ordering EC's based on the specs you probably got some funky ECs. So I thought I'd post a really nice 'squat' EC's for you that you may like. This is a really lovely stone with wide corners and a lovely octagonal outline. At 8x6 it's a nice size (ignore the carat weight). I think it's a really lovely stone. And it would look FANTASTIC in that setting style. So it REALLY may be worth it to get it to see what you think in person. It's not a 'traditional' EC which is what it sounds like you were shopping for before. It's much more a hybrid asscher/EC and I think it would knock your socks off.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/E191-538752505 :love: This is my top choice for you.

Asschers are a complete and utter pain to shop for.

This one has a good chance of being a unicorn: an eyeclean SI1 step cut:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/A208-30Z821376 Ask if it is eyeclean and if they can get you an ASET image.

Ask for an ASET of this one:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/A201-279071Z26

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy-
I am happy to see so much information on my post. I looked at each one of the diamonds. I requested ASET images for each of the diamonds.

My money is tied up right now with waiting for the refund from on online vendor. Also, I have money into this ring we bought from the jewelry store (the one in the images on this post).

I was told that my refund from the online vendor will be here in a week.

I am heading out of town today. (We never head out of town.) We will be gone until Monday night. I don't have time to package and ship the ring back to jewelry store. This jewelry store is 4 hours away from me. I was going to go into a jewelry store to get an ASET image of the center stone, but if you think there are going to be issues with light performance before I will do this, I am not going to do this. So, for the next could of weeks I will be without funds to wire.

I hope this doesn't stop everything.

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy-
You seem to know a lot about diamonds and have helped others. What is your background in relation to diamonds?
What part of the world do you live in? I don't want specifics as to exactly where you live...I just know that there are people on here from all over the world. I live in Fargo, North Dakota. The jewelry store I bought the ring from is in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

I am curious about a statement you made. It was to never buy a step cut from a vendor that does not have photos. The vendor I bought my EC from did not have any photos on their website, but could provide an ASET image of a diamond once they had my money wired to them. Once I got the ASET image, they held the diamond until I gave permission to send. Would this be of consideration, even though this vendor does not use images on their site?

I just wonder if we are ruling a lot of diamonds out.

I appreciate your help with this search. I have dreamed of a diamond ring my whole life. My husband and I have been married for 12 years. I studied EC and spent hours in jewelry stores and searching online. Now, my search has changed to the asscher and I feel like I am back to the drawing board. So, I really appreciate all of your time and energy toward helping me find the right center stone.

Once I get the diamond, I will have to make sure I have it in my will as to what we should do with it. That is a different post and will happen down the road.

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy-
I phoned as a follow-up to the ASET image requests. When I phoned Enchanted diamonds they said that they can provide an ASET image when money has been sent for the diamond because they have to get the diamond in their possession first.

Also, I got in touch with James Allen and they can get an ASET image for one of the two diamonds you suggested. They could not get an ASET image for the other because of its location in the world. Also, there is a limit to the number of ASET images they can provide if they are able to provide them. They only do three and then a special request has to go through management.

So, with this said. I told James Allen reps to hold off on the request for now since I noticed that the F colored emerald cut diamond, which was your top recommendation for me, is no longer available. The point being that I could request the image, then not have the money to get it in my hands. I should have the money very soon. Thank you for being patient with me.

Another though entered my mind. I have been admiring a ring on ebay. It is a Tiffany and Company ring. What are your thoughts on diamonds from Tiffany? The only concern I have for this is the insurance. Say I buy an over 2 carat colorless Tiffany ring for 17,000.00, but the value is over $50,000.00. Could I get an appraiser to appraise the diamond ring for what I paid for it to keep the cost down on the premiums, but then have a great ring? Afterall, I am very good about taking care of things.

I know that Tiffany rings have a certain standard and they seem to hold value. I have seen Tiffany jewelry in person and just love the quality of their stuff, too.

Anyone else can chime in on this conversation, too. I welcome feedback. I know I will get mixed responses.

Thoughts?

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy-
I got my refund in the mail from the loose stone. I am ready to work on finding an asscher.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results