shape
carat
color
clarity

quality of setting stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kessar

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have a question regarding the quality of the stones in a setting. I have heard that those stones should not be better quality than the center stone to ensure that they don''t detract from it. I have also heard that they should not be a lot worse in quality than the center stone.

I have not decided yet on the center stone I will be getting but it will likely be in a round 1.3-1.4 carats D or E, VS1 or VS2.

I am fairly sure that I will be getting a platinum channel setting. There will probably 4 or 5 side stones on each side, either round or princess, though I am currently leaning towards princess. I am just curious as to what the quality of those stones should be given my expected center stone. Are, for example, HSI1 too low a quality or about right? Or should they be closer to F or G in color? What about clarity? Also, for the size of each stone, various jewelers have recommended anywhere between 5 points and 10 points. The ten point ones seem a little large for the size of the ring; I am not sure if they might overwhelm the center stone.

Any ideas? I am most curious about the color and clarity of the side stones since those to me seem like they would have more concrete answers, but any opinions regarding size would be appreciated as well.

Thanks and take care,

Kessar

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/24/2003 7:19:29 AM Kessar wrote:

Hi,

I have a question regarding the quality of the stones in a setting. I have heard that those stones should not be better quality than the center stone to ensure that they don't detract from it. I have also heard that they should not be a lot worse in quality than the center stone.

I have not decided yet on the center stone I will be getting but it will likely be in a round 1.3-1.4 carats D or E, VS1 or VS2.

I am fairly sure that I will be getting a platinum channel setting. There will probably 4 or 5 side stones on each side, either round or princess, though I am currently leaning towards princess. I am just curious as to what the quality of those stones should be given my expected center stone. Are, for example, HSI1 too low a quality or about right? Or should they be closer to F or G in color? What about clarity? Also, for the size of each stone, various jewelers have recommended anywhere between 5 points and 10 points. The ten point ones seem a little large for the size of the ring; I am not sure if they might overwhelm the center stone.

Any ideas? I am most curious about the color and clarity of the side stones since those to me seem like they would have more concrete answers, but any opinions regarding size would be appreciated as well.

Thanks and take care,

Kessar
----------------

The advice that you have heard regarding side stones seems to coincide with what I have heard--the color and clarity of the side stones should fairly closely match that of the center stone. It makes sense to me, for the reasons you have already noted. Compared to the platinum in the setting and a large D/E center stone, I think H color side stones would look "different."

Regarding the size of the side stones, I really don't have a very good answer to offer. But, like you, I would be concerned that overly large side stones would distract attention away from that beautiful center stone! Any chance you have found a ring with side stones that is at least similar to what you're wanting? That might give you an idea of what weight/size side stones would be appropriate. If not, perhaps some of the ladies will offer you their ideas from the wearers' perspective.

Kessar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply jetcaptain.
Does anyone else have any opinions with regards to the side stones in a channel setting?
Thanks and take care,
Kessar

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think going for H colour sidestones is too far a jump from the D center stone you're considering. I would look at no more than 2 colour grades off. If you get a D, then dont look past an F for side stones. I dont have any intellectual background for my information other than that I breath air.
tongue.gif
I'm by no expert in the field of diamonds but I remember all the advice I was given when I was searching for my setting. I too wanted a channel setting but instead chose a more unique ring. I still got my sidestones though.
2.gif
And if you go for a 1.3-4 ring, then a 10 pt diamond will not take away from the stone. If your gf finger is that narrow, then perhaps 8pts might be a nicer option. However, I dont think that 10pts is a problem with the ct weight you're looking at. What size is her finger? Are they long or short? Mine is a size 5 1/2 & I have short fingers. I knew if I stayed with a 4mm ring shank or smaller then I would be ok. Mine is something like 3.8, I dont recall exactly right now.

Judy
:)

Kessar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.
So basically for a D center, no worse than F color sides in a channel setting and for an E center, no worse than H color sides in a channel setting?
And I assume clarity is not a big deal because of the size?
Thanks and take care,
Kessar

raincount

Rough_Rock
I could be wrong but IMO, I would say to stay within your color range. If you buy a D,E,or F center stone. I wouldn't even consider going lower the G. You are spending a considerable amount of money to be in the "colorless" range with your center. I think their is a very noticable difference between F and H. Also, if you are talking about .05 to .10 stones, the price difference for color is going to be very little. Why spend several thousand dollars on your center, then jeopardize the ring because of a 100 bucks or so. Sacrifice clarity, not cut or color.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results