shape
carat
color
clarity

Qualifications for Round Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chelle0511

Rough_Rock
I''m sure this has been discussed numerous times, but I can''t seem to locate the link.

I once came across a link that listed ideal specs for a round diamond - can someone please point me in the correct direction?

I''m looking for the ideal range for:

Depth %
Table %
Crown Angle %
Pavilion Angle %
Culet %

I feel comofrtable with my education of color and clarity...

Also, the reports to request when purchasing from a local, family owned jewelry store.

I am 90% sure I have found a diamond online, however my local jeweler has 3 diamonds that he would like to show me tomorrow.

Thanks again, your wisdom amazes me:)!

Chelle0511

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!!

The numbers you use when purchasing a diamond would be great - that table looks awesome, yet Greek to me
7.gif

Also, what grading reports are acceptable?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is my personal preferences:
depth: 60-62
table: 54-57
crown/pavillion angles: consistent with an HCA score of under 2

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 2:47:40 PM
Author: Chelle0511
Thanks Lorelei!!

The numbers you use when purchasing a diamond would be great - that table looks awesome, yet Greek to me
7.gif

Also, what grading reports are acceptable?

Ok no problem, here you go!

Here is a cheat sheet some of us use to find well cut round diamonds.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

And from expert John Pollard.
As the above implies, configurations depend on each other. A little give here can still work with a little take there.

With that said, here's a "Cliff's Notes" for staying near complementary angles with GIA reports (their numbers are rounded): A crown angle of 34.0, 34.5 or 35.0 is usually safe with a 40.8 pavilion angle. If pavilion angle = 40.6 lean toward a 34.5-35.0 crown. If pavilion angle = 41 lean toward a 34.0-34.5 crown.

GIA "EX" in cut is great at its heart, but it ranges a bit wider than some people prefer, particularly in deep combinations (pavilion > 41 with crown > 35).

Grading reports;

Usually here most buyers look for AGS or GIA, this link explains more on how the grading labs rank.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My advice would be to go look at the diamonds your jeweler is bringing in- without any preconceived notions.
Use your eyes, and see if any of the stones he shows you make your heart sing. If you can get copies of the GIA's for the stones he shows you, you'll get a lot of comments form people here.

Although Lorelei's numbers are accepted by most of the folks here, using them will get you what the folks here like, which is not necessarily what everyone likes best.
So look at the diamonds, and see what you like. Your jeweler may have stones that fall outside the PS ranges, and it's ok if you love one.

The acceptance of GIA and AGSL over any other lab is widespread in the diamond industry. Avoid relying on any other report. This goes for an online purchase as well as one from a local jewelry store.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results