shape
carat
color
clarity

Q for the elderly PSers. What do you remember about the 70's?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
blizzard of 1978-79
Those that were in it will never forget it.
Sledding out a 2nd story window.
Snow drifts some 40 feet high that destroyed county plow trucks when they ran into them trying to clear them.
Extra over a week at the end of the school year to make up the days missed really sucked was the only downside.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first big royal thing i remember on tv was Lord Mountbatton's funneral

The international news was full of the troubles in Northern Ireland and also i remember planes bring blown up on the tarmac

I was a strange little kid and have always watched the news

We dedinatly played outside till dark and it seems we had lots more freedom than kids of helicopter parents today
But mostly i have wonderful memories of the 70s (well not vegetables before microwaves)
KFC arrived and people queed around the block
Stews were not great and it was before pasta sauce became popular here
We didn't eat avos or capsisiums or much garlic let alone chillie - i wouldn't eat rice and macaroni was for pudding
growing up in the 70s in NZ was back in the days when NZ was 20 years behind the rest of the world so sometimes its like i grew up in the 50s

but the music was great and they still played stuff from the 50s and 60s on the radio. Lots of country along with the disco, ABBA were huge- everybody's dad was keen on the blond one
Every body's mum and dad had Arrival
Wine was dreadful but nobody knew any better

I had Donnie and Marie dolls
My friend older sisters were in love with Andy Gibb or Rod Steward 220px-Andy_Gibb.jpeg

donny-and-marie-osmond-dolls.jpg rod_stewart_largest.jpg

Attachments

• d6fc3ef57688cbf4e98bb3d5d0a3a310.jpg
    d6fc3ef57688cbf4e98bb3d5d0a3a310.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 14

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our mum's and dad's seemed so old but now days some of us are as old as our grandparents were back then

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
blizzard of 1978-79
Those that were in it will never forget it.
Sledding out a 2nd story window.
Snow drifts some 40 feet high that destroyed county plow trucks when they ran into them trying to clear them.
Extra over a week at the end of the school year to make up the days missed really sucked was the only downside.

We only get very light snow maybe a couple of times a winter down south where im from here but i lived opposite my primary school so i could always go to school
everytime mum cleaned out the deep freeze it was full of our saved snow balls

And the beech !
It was just how Neil Diamond sung about where rents were low
it was cheap to live at the beach

from the year i was born

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our mum's and dad's seemed so old but now days some of us are as old as our grandparents were back then

tell me about it.
The other day I was talking about the young lady that works at the pharmacy who is really nice and she said, you know she is 30 something right? I was like ooooooooook.

Or talk about something that happened a while ago then realize it was 30 years ago.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jump suits
my mother made them for me
out of Denham or corduroy- one polyester number that looked liked orange striped curtains !

PJs and nighties that were giggly flammable !
And so much polyester and skivies
bert-ernie-today-square-180918_f492fd8cd37f40626a55a9d439bd6216.fit-760w.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seseemee street
America's greatest gift to the world's children
I started school in 1976 knowing my ABCs and 123s thanks to big bird and the gang
this is my favourite sesame street memory

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d forgotten how bad the food was! The height of sophistication was a packet Vesta curry. We had a very bland diet compared to now, plain meat or fish and veg mostly. I remember eating my first nectarine aged about 7. There was very limited eating out, certainly no takeaways. Garlic was a mysterious thing, occasionally delivered by French men on bicycles.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I loved the $90.00 rent per month in the 70’s on the sweetest little house with a loft bedroom and a strawberry patch in the back yard!!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
School desegregation and busing. As part of that, all the juniors and seniors in our city went to the same high school - T.C. Williams in Alexandria Virginia. Although I didn't attend until several years later, it was the school depicted in "Remember the TItans" where football helped unify the community (great movie). Oddly enough, I just read that the school is being renamed because it's namesake was a strong proponent of school segregation :o

As an American born Chinese, I remember the end of the VIetnam War (we all wore those POW/MIA bracelets) and encountering anti-Asian racism for the first time with the influx of Vietnamese refugees. I also remember Nixon going to China being a big deal (and of course, Watergate...).

And as others mentioned - the music...it was a great time and seeing live bands was a big part of my life in the 70's. The Capital Centre Arena (in Largo Maryland) opened and concert tickets were under $10. We went all the time. We also hung out at the clubs in Georgetown, such as the Bayou, listening and dancing to bands. Although, for me, things went downhill as disco hit it big. I remember some friends wanting to go to the discotheques whereas I preferred live music.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Ah the 70s in America!

Wood paneled everything. Wood paneled television in a wood paneled living room with a giant wood paneled stereo that had a giant slot for 8 tracks and the huge buttons you pushed to play them. And occasionally the machine would eat the tape so you had to wind it back in with a pencil.

TVs with dials. Crappy antennas that needed constant adjustment.TV having snow or static. Having to be on time to watch anything because if you missed it you had to pray for a rerun. Having to share because kids having their own TVs in their bedrooms was unheard of.

The cat clock with the swishy tail. Beaded curtains (which I still love without shame). Lawrence Welk, Hee Haw, the Mandrell Sisters. Clogs. Pantyhose that came in an egg. Thick percale sheets that were about as cozy as tinfoil. Bedspreads.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Logan's run
loved it
Had a poster like this on my wall
Also loved the 6 million dollar man 327362-1.jpg MV5BMTY4MjAzOTMwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTIyNzQ2MjE@._V1_UY1200_CR485,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

On my 30th birthday I went to a hotel for a the weekend with some girlfriends to “commiserate” how old and barren and single I was. When we got into the hotel room and flicked on the Tv guess what was on - Logan’s Run. Almost slit my wrists then and there :)

At the ripe old age of 43 it seems so laughable that I felt “passed it” at 30.

I was only born in 78 but the 70s seemed to last longer in the south of England than the rest of the world because I still have the pictures of me in the brown courdoroy dungarees and bowl haircut!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hI,

tHE EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT

Roe vs Wade

And most of all, I remember EDGAR, the man who made me happy from 1971-1975, when he stopped making me happy..

The 70's may have been my happiest decade.

Annette

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah the 70s in America!

Wood paneled everything. Wood paneled television in a wood paneled living room with a giant wood paneled stereo that had a giant slot for 8 tracks and the huge buttons you pushed to play them. And occasionally the machine would eat the tape so you had to wind it back in with a pencil.

TVs with dials. Crappy antennas that needed constant adjustment.TV having snow or static. Having to be on time to watch anything because if you missed it you had to pray for a rerun. Having to share because kids having their own TVs in their bedrooms was unheard of.

The cat clock with the swishy tail. Beaded curtains (which I still love without shame). Lawrence Welk, Hee Haw, the Mandrell Sisters. Clogs. Pantyhose that came in an egg. Thick percale sheets that were about as cozy as tinfoil. Bedspreads.

"Hee Haw!!! TV's with dials" and only 2 channels. "Eggs" that had cinnamon colored hose!!:D:lol::cool2:

And Natural hardwood floors covered with long shag carpeting.

More on the happy side--there was Charlies Angels and Hawaii 5-0.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 70 s spanned both high school and college for me. So of course I have fond memories of being healthy, protected by a wonderful family and living in a safe environment. Perhaps my memories are now viewed through rose colored glasses. I think for me the innocence of my youth coupled with incredible music, 30 cents a gallon gas, less traffic and crime, attainable dreams, a challenging college education and cheap concert and movie tickets we’re few of the great aspects of the era. I just heard about a new nonfiction book opining that the 1970s was the best decade for California. I‘m from the Midwest and I think it peaked then too.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Orange shag carpet, avocado kitchen, gold living room, bell bottoms, Farrah Faucett hair, Friendlys Ice Cream sundae for .69, cheap gas, station wagons with rear facing seats, going to the roller rink to skate, my first Mall, and camel shoes! My favorite shoes I ever owned! And wood wedges!
1FA469EF-DE70-4304-B419-ADCF2896CBE2.jpeg F852B21C-FF14-49ED-BB1E-3B2D4075A2A9.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Very early 70s, KAAY from Little Rock. Beaker St.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results