shape
carat
color
clarity

Q for mac makeup lovers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
What are your m.a.c. eye shadow favs? Something that would look good with fair skin and blue eyes? I''m going to get a bunch of colors....just looking for what you guys like. And also are there certain shades that seem to stay in place longer?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m fair with blue eyes (and very very dark brown/black hair) and these are the colors in my "everyday" bag:

shroom (great everyday base color)
dreammaker
all that glitters
sweet lust
mulch
paradisco

I also have some deep purples and navy but not in my daily kit so I don''t know what colors exactly they are...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shroom is fantastic....let me go look. I like to use purple and pink shades, they bring out the green in my eyes, and sometimes make them look more blue.

Ok, I have a lot of pinks, and purples.

Shroom
*Pink Freeze (Shimmery light pink- used as a highlighter)
Honey Lust (it's a lustre, so it's very sparkly gold)
Plummage (dark green/teal I use as eye liner)
*Trax (coppery-purpley)
Beautiful Iris (light shimmery purple)
Swish (brighter shimmery pink)
Carbon (matte black)
Mythology (pinkish copper)
*Sketch (dark purpley burgundy-also eye liner, unless I go dark)
*Malt (purpley beige neutral-matte)
*Nylon (shimmery vanilla yellow-as an accent/highlighter)

ETA: I would pick up a tube of their "Canvas" Paint. One of the makeup artists showed me that if you use that as a primer, and then put eye shadow over it, the color stays and is more vibrant. I love love love the stuff. It makes it last so much longer.

The ones with (*) are the ones I use the most.

ETA: Blue eyes, fair skin with pink undertones and light brown/dark blonde hair.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
To keep my shadows in place all day, a good primer is very important. The best I've found is Urban Decay Potion Primer sold at Sephora. If you stop at the MAC counter, the sales gals will push you into getting some MAC paints. I didn't like the one I was sold (the texture was too dry) and ended up returning it. For the UD primer, just apply to your lid and crease, but not the highlighted part.

I have a pale cool compexion with green eyes, so entirely different than you, but luckily MAC has probably over 100 shades, and many are universal.

Great highlighters include: Shroom, Jest, and Shoreleave (Shoreleave is a limited edition color that's still available online. I'm not sure if the counters still carry it.)

Other great colors:
Shale is a wonderful purple
Satin Taupe (just wear a tad in the crease)
Vex is fun
All That Glitters is idea for blue eyes

Try to stay away from anything too purple with red undertones (I'd say that Satin Taupe is the only "safe" color). Other ones, like Trax, may make you look like you have pink eye. Also Lustre textured MAC shadows are terrible. The glitter flakes off and the shadow doesn't apply smoothly, so avoid those. Veluxe Pearl textures are *wonderful*.

Oh, and if you have $30 to blow on a single shade one of the greatest "cult" favorites that is no longer on the MAC site is Moth Brown. It often can be found on eBay. It's a great crease shade. I love it so much, I bought an extra just in case I break/loose the one I have now.

Can I post links to other sites? I wasn't sure if that breaks the rules. There is an excellent website that lists all the MAC shades and gives makeup lovers reviews. Makeup Alley web site.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 2:58:54 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Shroom is fantastic....let me go look. I like to use purple and pink shades, they bring out the green in my eyes, and sometimes make them look more blue.

Ok, I have a lot of pinks, and purples.

Shroom

*Pink Freeze (Shimmery light pink- used as a highlighter)

Honey Lust (it''s a lustre, so it''s very sparkly gold)

Plummage (dark green/teal I use as eye liner)

*Trax (coppery-purpley)

Beautiful Iris (light shimmery purple)

Swish (brighter shimmery pink)

Carbon (matte black)

Mythology (pinkish copper)

*Sketch (dark purpley burgundy-also eye liner, unless I go dark)

*Malt (purpley beige neutral-matte)

*Nylon (shimmery vanilla yellow-as an accent/highlighter)

ETA: I would pick up a tube of their ''Canvas'' Paint. One of the makeup artists showed me that if you use that as a primer, and then put eye shadow over it, the color stays and is more vibrant. I love love love the stuff. It makes it last so much longer.

The ones with (*) are the ones I use the most.

ETA: Blue eyes, fair skin with pink undertones and light brown/dark blonde hair.

Ohh I have Trax too. I like that one a lot.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I''m looking at the colors on their website........I really like mulch and paradisco.

All that glitters - I can''t tell, is that a pinky tone to it, or more of a beige?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 3:38:44 PM
Author: joflier
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking at the colors on their website........I really like mulch and paradisco.

All that glitters - I can't tell, is that a pinky tone to it, or more of a beige?

It's like a baby pink.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 3:42:33 PM
Author: neatfreak

It''s like a baby pink.
With a hint of peach.

Are you planning to go instore or buy online?

Just a heads up -> Paradisco is very orange. Are you okay with bold colors?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, these are some of my better liked colors, you didn''t mention which color families you like.

Phloof!
Satellite Dreams
Stars n Rockets
I saw some people rec''d Trax, but get Fig 1, that is IMO, almost the same color, but better quality.
Plum PRO Color
Woodwinked
Satin Taupe
Sumptuous Olive
All That Glitters

Veluxe Pearl have the best quality, overall. Lustres, overall, have the worst.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 3:42:33 PM
Date: 11/23/2008 3:38:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I''m looking at the colors on their website........I really like mulch and paradisco.

All that glitters - I can''t tell, is that a pinky tone to it, or more of a beige?

It''s like a baby pink.

Ooops I totally lied. I was thinking of the sweet lust color for some reason! This is a pretty brown color.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
My faves (I''m super pale)

Swish (looooove it)

Cranberry (Burgundy frost)

Playful (pink satin---was from the Barbie collection)

Magic Dust (also from the Barbie Collection)

Mothbrown (from the Barbie collection---smoky blackish-brown)

Woodwinked (Metallic taupe-ish)

Fade (light blue satin)

Silver Ring (Silver metallic)

Bronze (self explanatory)

"Fun Colors"

Electric Eel (BRIGHT blue for more dramatic occasions)

Lime (BRIGHT green)

Rule (Bright-ish burnt orange)

Indian Ink (DARK purple)

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 5:50:09 PM
Author: MC
With a hint of peach.

I''m having a friend pick some up for me. She works at the mall where there is a mac counter and gets a nice discount. Plus I''m just too busy right now to go down there right now........

I''m ok with bold. Sometimes. Hmmm......the paradisco looked more pinkpish/purple online. Sigh. Its always so hard to know. Just trial and error I guess. But that gets expensive after awhile.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2008 7:30:57 PM
Author: JulieN
Alright, these are some of my better liked colors, you didn''t mention which color families you like.
I''ll try just about anything as far as color goes. Some days I like just a neutral blend of beiges and browns. Other days I like to spice it up with crazy colors to match an outfit. But the colors I tend to wear most are whites/browns/pinks. But I don''t try to limit myself!
2.gif

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
I totally don''t have your coloring but I''m a huge MAC girl so I thought I would suggest some that I think will work for you...

Dazzlelight would be a great highlight

Jest is a pretty pinky one that is pretty, MAC also has a lipstick called jest

Electra is a bluey silver that I think would be pretty

Haux is a nice neutral

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 12:52:44 AM
Date: 11/23/2008 5:50:09 PM

Author: MC

With a hint of peach.

I''m having a friend pick some up for me. She works at the mall where there is a mac counter and gets a nice discount. Plus I''m just too busy right now to go down there right now........

I''m ok with bold. Sometimes. Hmmm......the paradisco looked more pinkpish/purple online. Sigh. Its always so hard to know. Just trial and error I guess. But that gets expensive after awhile.

Paradisco is certainly orangey pink, no purple at all IRL. Honestly, their online color swatches are pretty bad...If you don''t go yourself I would expect to be making a bunch of returns.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I have so many of the colors suggested. But one that I cannnot live without is Club. I wear it as a liner during the day a lot, and I use it to do smokey eyes for night. It''s great bc it''s not like you put black all over your eyes... It''s got a this grey, blue, green, brown thing going on! It''s the best, I give it as a gift a lot and people rave about it!
Also, I have blue eyes too, and i love the navy eyeshadow as a liner, it really makes my eyes pop!

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
this may sound silly, but do the cosmetic stands give lessons on how to put on make up? I never offically "Learned" or had friends who did it enough to show me (plus in HS i never wore it).

I soo need a lesson on how to do my hair and makeup! I think i have ran out of room for only using mascara!
6.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 9:17:48 AM

Paradisco is certainly orangey pink, no purple at all IRL. Honestly, their online color swatches are pretty bad...If you don''t go yourself I would expect to be making a bunch of returns.
Ya, I just need to try to make some time to go in. It sucks cuz I work crazy shifts. I go to work before the mall opens and often, until after its closed. Of course, I work right across the street from a mall, but they don''t have a mac counter there. That would just be too convienant!
41.gif

Neatfreak - is there a mac counter in Madison?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 12:46:57 PM
Date: 11/24/2008 9:17:48 AM

Ya, I just need to try to make some time to go in. It sucks cuz I work crazy shifts. I go to work before the mall opens and often, until after its closed. Of course, I work right across the street from a mall, but they don''t have a mac counter there. That would just be too convienant!
41.gif

Neatfreak - is there a mac counter in Madison?

I am very late to this, but yes, there is one at Macy''s (was Marshall Field''s) in Hilldale Mall.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 9:24:57 AM
Author: CrookedRock
I have so many of the colors suggested. But one that I cannnot live without is Club. I wear it as a liner during the day a lot, and I use it to do smokey eyes for night. It''s great bc it''s not like you put black all over your eyes... It''s got a this grey, blue, green, brown thing going on! It''s the best, I give it as a gift a lot and people rave about it!

Also, I have blue eyes too, and i love the navy eyeshadow as a liner, it really makes my eyes pop!

I second this! Club is the best color EVER. I also really adore Tilt and Vex. These were three of the first ones I ever got, and they are still my staples.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I see loads of advice on colours.

But start off with Bruleé

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results