shape
carat
color
clarity

Putting it all together

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gnuf

Rough_Rock
So I''ve spent some time on Pricescope and looked around on the web and am trying to put it all together.

My fiance to be likes the Novo setting, so I wanted to get

http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_412-2047_build.asp?module=setting

This setting from James Allen and the diamond from Blue Nile.

So of course now I need to get it set. I was considering having it done locally and then have them do the appraisal there as well. How much does this service usually cost? I see JA charges $150 to set the stone and "set up" and appraisal. I''m not sure what that means and am unsure of what a reasonable cost of doing this is. So JA is doing the appraisal for me as well? Am I better off getting this done on my own? And is this appraisal what I take to my insurance company?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Any particular reason you want to get the stone from BN and not from James Allen? The setting looks lovely, BTW
1.gif

If I were you though, I'd consider getting the diamond from JA too - that way you'll have the lifetime upgrade policy, and they will probably set the stone for free, which is definitely a money saver.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 12:03:50 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Any particular reason you want to get the stone from BN and not from James Allen? The setting looks lovely, BTW
1.gif

If I were you though, I''d consider getting the diamond from JA too - that way you''ll have the lifetime upgrade policy, and they will probably set the stone for free, which is definitely a money saver.
Ditto Amber, have you thought about getting the diamond from JA also?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 10:33:44 PM
Author:gnuf
So of course now I need to get it set. I was considering having it done locally and then have them do the appraisal there as well. How much does this service usually cost? I see JA charges $150 to set the stone and 'set up' and appraisal. I'm not sure what that means and am unsure of what a reasonable cost of doing this is. So JA is doing the appraisal for me as well? Am I better off getting this done on my own? And is this appraisal what I take to my insurance company?

Not sure if the charges will cover the insurance of setting of a loose stone not from them. There was a clarification recently here in PS by JA that the $150 fee is not there when the stone and setting are all from them. So I think it is best to ask them, if so it is more economical to get stone and setting from them.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
And two more things to add. If you have someone local set it, they will amost certainly charge you a setting fee also, because they want to make money too. And, they will almost certainly not cover your stone in the unlikely event something happens to the diamond. (i.e. chips)

JA actually will cover your stone from BN, so there''s a thought. But I would agree, it might be cheapest, and easiest to go with JA if possible.

gnuf

Rough_Rock
Overall I just haven''t quite found the right diamond at JA, but did see a couple I liked at BN. I guess I can just keep waiting until that perfect stone shows up :)

I think my questions was more on the logistics of making this transaction and how feasible it was or wether I should just go get the diamond from JA

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
BN also has the Nouveau setting, which is similiar to the Novo.. but I think they only have it for certain cuts.

gnuf

Rough_Rock
I did see the Nouveau setting (nice play on words) and it''s 0.1mm wider and ~$600 more, though BN has more diamonds in the range I am looking 1.5/I/VS1

Any service differences between BN and JA. I''ve had a lot of friends use BN, but had not heard of JA before coming here. Experiences?

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
JA has great service and is a very reputable dealer. I purchased two cushions from them before I found ''the one'' and never had a problem with returning them or service. BN is more widely advertised which also means their prices can be slightly higher because of the name recognition. Whiteflash also has excellent prices and selection

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d try to get the setting and stone from the same place if at all possible.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 2:24:24 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I''d try to get the setting and stone from the same place if at all possible.
Ditto, can you call JA and give them the diamond spec and/or diamond cert#? maybe they can call that in for you? so you can have everything done in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results