shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple zircon?!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Is there really purple zircon? I found a seller with a "natural" purple zircon I am so tempted by, but can't find many references to purple zircon on line. I'm assuming heat treatment, but is this not a popular color for a reason? Photo cropped to just show stone color. Have y'all ever heard of this or seen it?
20190101_201946.png

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe they meant cubic zirconia? :confused:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
No, it clearly says natural zircon. Seller is a gemologist. I'm looking on line and it is a real thing! But why isn't it more common?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE I never knew what the gemology diplomas mean. Judging from who would sign up to get one - many get one for fun, and it is possible to get one hoping that it keeps being trusted beyond anything you'd do with it. (no worse than most credentialing - then again, I fealt there are nicer means to prove these things are worth knowing - much like anything else)

I am not old enough to remember anything beyond this state of affrairs.

-

RE. purpple zircon - the name stands for a type of crimson, a natural colour that turns into the famous greenish blue by heating; I would not know how to get such a zircon unless I were to place an order to whomever has unheated rough (not on my 'to do' list, so I would not have a contact, in fact). The colour reminds me of this season, in fact - which I rather love, so I kept it in mind.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I have a dark rose zircon so zircon in other colors do exist... not much help beyond that but do share if you find out more

Reactions: AV_

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purple zircons exist.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
zircons exist in many colors. IN some cases heating helps to change color (some cambodian switch from brown to blue) or lighten up their color from darker to lighter tones, depending on heating and the duration.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a Burmese zircon that changes from rich green to a greyish lilac, so it is possible. But mine is not vivid like that, it is more pastel. my stupid camera won't take pictures of the violet though, transforming it into a green every duck quacking time.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I have a Burmese zircon that changes from rich green to a greyish lilac, so it is possible. But mine is not vivid like that, it is more pastel. my stupid camera won't take pictures of the violet though, transforming it into a green every duck quacking time.
I have a green zircon too, but it stays the same green with yellow flashes all the time. It's not a color I like so it sits in the closet.:lol-2:
The purple really is a genuine zircon color and so pretty, I'm surprised its not more popular.
Very tempted to buy one, but I'm trying to show some restraint with new bling, gotta finish other projects first!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A purple zircon would be awesome! I wish I could see one IRL. I have seen many colors, but never purple.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@chatoyancy I'm sooo tempted to buy one, I love purple and the pictures look like it would be beautiful. I'll post a photo if I give in and get one. Here's some pics though, so you can see why I'm tempted:
20190114_213559.jpg

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Isn't this violet?

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@chatoyancy I'm sooo tempted to buy one, I love purple and the pictures look like it would be beautiful. I'll post a photo if I give in and get one. Here's some pics though, so you can see why I'm tempted:
20190114_213559.jpg
Wow! This is first one I have seen. Definitely post pics of you get it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results