shape
carat
color
clarity

Pump help, asap, please!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all.
I recently posted about currently having to "pump and dump" for two weeks while we figure out if B has milk protein allergy. Because the protein can shed from mom for 2 weeks and I have to go back to work so soon, I was advised to use a hypoallergenic formula and continue to pump so we can know for sure before I return to work. On the plus side, he is like a different baby!!!!! He smiles so much more and sleeps so peacefully!

On the downside, I think my pump is crapping out. I have an old Medela pump in style. (A friend gave it to me after using it for her boys. Yes, I have proof of all her negative HIV/Hep C, etc tests) It seems to be drastically losing suction. Unfortunately, I risk my supply dwindling if I don't replace it ASAP.

So, my question is: would you all advise replacing it with another PIS or buying a freestyle to maintain supply and for ease of pumping when I return to work shortly? Why?

Thank you!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi Munchkin- I had the Freestyle, which I absolutely loved. Have you replaced the membranes recently? I know they can develop miniscule holes, which lessens the suction. If you definitely need a new pump, I think what you buy depends on your needs. I had to exclusively pump so I needed something I could tote around with me easily. I also take a combo of car, subway, and bus to and from work, so it had to be very light/portable, and I take business trips, so again, I needed something to accomodate that. I also have a toddler and it was much easier to hook the Freestyle to my belt and pump as I was with her and the baby.

If you have different needs- you drive to work and you only have a short distance from your car to the office, no traveling, only using the pump several times a day, then perhaps you don't need the Freestyle. I personally would get it though, but that's because I really, really loved mine. I sold it and almost cried. If you do get the Freestyle, I recommend awaybabyessentials.com. You have to write to them to get their Medela price list but back in Sept. 2010, I got mine for $279, which is $100 less than sold in stores. Another thing to keep in mind (a negative, imo) is that Medela doesn't sell their membrane/connector stuff separately- you have to buy a whole Freestyle connector kit for something like $14 each, which is a pain if you want several sets. Not a big enough negative to keep me from buying one though!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan, I buy the membranes, connectors and flanges all separately at Babies R Us. I do this because I use the soft flanges. Stinks that you have to buy the whole thing!

Munchkin, definitely try changing out the parts - how does the pump sound? I can tell if my suction is right by how the pump sounds. You just sort of learn the "rhythm" of the pumping. It doesn't pump as quickly and the suction doesn't seem to change much when I turn up the dial if my battery pack is dying. You can also try replacing the AC adapter or try using the battery pack or car charger if you have one to see if it makes a difference. I've had a couple "Holy crap, my pump broke!" panic moments but it's always been parts or batteries.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I ended up going with the PIS because none of my local Babies R Us or Target stores had any freestyles in stock and I have to go away for my sister's wedding tomorrow. The old pump was definitely shot. I baaaarely managed to eke out 4 ounces last time I pumped and massaged with the old one and got 8 ounces the first time I pumped with the new one, with less discomfort!

Puppmom, you were right, the sound was completely different with the new one. It's is hard to explain but the old one even sounded like it was dying.

I appreciate the input.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boo to the dead pump! I'm glad you got a new one. I have the PIS and man, do I give that thing a work out!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got a new, working pump!

Pupp- meant to say that Medela doesn't sell the Freestyle parts separately- such a racket! Didn't mean to imply that for all other pumps.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooohhh...that IS ridiculous! I do love my PIS though.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I would replace the pump, if you can get a good deal get the freestyle if not just get the hands free pumping bra. I have one from amazon that I use daily, 3 times a day that I LOOOOVE :) and use with my PISA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results