shape
carat
color
clarity

PTSD, anxiety, or depression? anyone know difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I think my brother may be going through PTSD. I''m doing some research online and having him see a therapist on Monday. Anyone have experience with this or knows the difference between PTSD, anxiety, and depression? I''m insanely afraid that he may be suicidal
7.gif

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery, I''m so sorry your brother is going through a rough time. I''m not familiar with PTSD but I have anxiety (which is very different from depression). Anxiety (for me) is excessive worry and fear - about things that an average person wouldn''t be terribly concerned about. It''s sometimes accompanied by a panic attack and usually comes in episodes as opposed to being an overall mood or state of mind. I only have some experience with depression (my brother suffers from it). In his case, there are a lot of self-loathing thoughts and hopelessness. I''m not certain but I think it''s pretty common for people to suffer from both.

In my experience, these things just get worse with time if you don''t address them. I think it''s a great first step to have your brother see a therapist.

Good luck - you''ll be in my thoughts.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
He told me today that he cries all the time, is always sad, and has had suicidal thoughts. He said that he stops himself because he wants to see my daughter grow up.

I booked him a trip to come here tonight. I will talk to him about potentially withdrawing from school this semester and stay with me while he sees a therapist.

I''ve known for quite some time that he hasn''t felt great but I didn''t know he felt this way. I don''t know what to do and feel like such a failure. I had a baby and completely forgot about paying attention to my first baby
7.gif

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 5:42:54 PM
Author:fiery
I think my brother may be going through PTSD. I''m doing some research online and having him see a therapist on Monday. Anyone have experience with this or knows the difference between PTSD, anxiety, and depression? I''m insanely afraid that he may be suicidal
7.gif
PTSD, anxiety and depression can be intermingling diagnoeses. PTSD is generally thought to occur as a result of a traumatic experience or experiences such as rape, war, abuse, etc. Depression and anxiety can be/are usually co-ocurring with PTSD. But, just because someone has depression and/or anxiety does not mean they have PTSD. Depression and/or anxiety can be stand alone diagnoses in themselves. Depression is often exhibited as sad mood, irritability, hopelessness, helplessness, sleeping disturbances, eating disturbances, etc. Anxiety is typically exhibited as nervousness and/or obsessive thoughts and can include panic attacks, phobias, flashbacks and/or obsessions/compulsions. It can all get very confusing, hope I didn''t make it more confusing. It''s a very good idea to have your brother see a professional. And it''s very good that he has what is called a "barrier" to suicide, that being seeing your daughter grow up. It''s also good that he feels comfortable coming to you for support. Here''s a link for additional resources and support. It has a national and local hotlines that can provide assistance to you and/or your brother if you''d like help in making a plan to keep him safe. Wishing you the best!

National/Local suicide hotlines

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 6:49:59 PM
Author: Snicklefritz

Date: 10/3/2009 5:42:54 PM
Author:fiery
7.gif
PTSD, anxiety and depression can be intermingling diagnoeses. PTSD is generally thought to occur as a result of a traumatic experience or experiences such as rape, war, abuse, etc. Depression and anxiety can be/are usually co-ocurring with PTSD. But, just because someone has depression and/or anxiety does not mean they have PTSD. Depression and/or anxiety can be stand alone diagnoses in themselves. Depression is often exhibited as sad mood, irritability, hopelessness, helplessness, sleeping disturbances, eating disturbances, etc. Anxiety is typically exhibited as nervousness and/or obsessive thoughts and can include panic attacks, phobias, flashbacks and/or obsessions/compulsions. It can all get very confusing, hope I didn''t make it more confusing. It''s a very good idea to have your brother see a professional. And it''s very good that he has what is called a ''barrier'' to suicide, that being seeing your daughter grow up. It''s also good that he feels comfortable coming to you for support. Here''s a link for additional resources and support. It has a national and local hotlines that can provide assistance to you and/or your brother if you''d like help in making a plan to keep him safe. Wishing you the best!

National/Local suicide hotlines
This has more local lines:
Local Suicide Hotlines

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Thank you snickle. I will call because thus is way above me. Its one thing to talk him through anxiety over an exam or feeling sad but a whole other to do this.

I haven''t told my mom because she will worry and her worry may make things worse for him. He did go through something a few years back and never really dealt with it as he started school almost immediately. Our mistake was not having him see a therapist then

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Snicklefritz.

firey, is your brother college age (late teens-20''s?). I''m asking because young adulthood is a very common age for these sorts of problems (anxiety/depression) to appear. He should not feel like he''s "abnormal" or alone in having these symptoms. It''s important to let him know that there is help, and that many young people experience these symptoms, get them under control with medication and stress management, and go on with their lives. Suicidal ideation in men is troubling -- they often do not just threaten to commit suicide; they are much more likely than women to be successful. I am very glad to hear he is willing to come and visit you. Withdrawing from school for a semester may be a wise idea; most campuses have plans in place to help students through this sort of thing.

He may benefit from an advocacy organization like Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
DBSA
This organization also helps families who have loved ones with these diagnoses.

You are a wonderful sister to be so concerned about him.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 6:28:40 PM
Author: fiery
He told me today that he cries all the time, is always sad, and has had suicidal thoughts. He said that he stops himself because he wants to see my daughter grow up.

I booked him a trip to come here tonight. I will talk to him about potentially withdrawing from school this semester and stay with me while he sees a therapist.

I''ve known for quite some time that he hasn''t felt great but I didn''t know he felt this way. I don''t know what to do and feel like such a failure. I had a baby and completely forgot about paying attention to my first baby
7.gif

Nope, no failures to be found, sorry.
2.gif
Sounds to me like you''re really working to help your brother. Sure, maybe it would have been good for him to see a counselor awhile ago, but how were you supposed to know that? We can''t always anticipate how our loved ones, even ourselves, will react to an experience. I imagine he was just hoping to move on from it by jumping into school and filling his mind with other less painful thoughts. That''s human nature. And, just because he could have used counseling back then does not mean he would have been ready to talk about whatever happened. Getting to that point can take some time. No matter what the circumstances were then, all you have is now. At present, it sounds like he''s open to talking and you''ve shown (and are showing) him that you are there to support him as best as you can. It''s a good start, and you''re a really good sister. Feel free to feel proud of yourself and him for all the work you''ve done so far and will continue to do.
4.gif
There''ll be bumps along the way, but you''re starting out with a good foundation. Good luck.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery, check out the DSM IV for general diagnoses/descriptions of symptoms. It is very apparent that you love your brother very very much. I am glad you''re having him see someone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery,
I have no advice. I just wanted to say, I think you are such a great sister in helping your brother during this difficult time. I am so glad he''s going to see a therapist. I hope he''s feeling better soon, and having your love and support muct mean the world to him. Please lkeep us posted.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, you''re doing the right thing (hugs).

What I learned from my undergrad experience in psych (which I should preface prepares a person for absolutely nothing) is that things like PTSD, anxiety, and depression cross over in terms of symptoms - diagnosis itself is a very fine line, and something that really only a trained professional should do (and even trained professionals typically try to consider the whole person/experience rather than focus on the treatment of a disorder).

In other words, the most important thing that you know right now is that your brother is experiencing major changes in mood and has suicidal thoughts. That''s more than enough reason to be serious about his condition and seek help through a therapist or doctor immediately.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery the first major differentiation for PTSD and other anxiety disorders is that there has have to have been some experience in which the person had a perception that there life was in danger.
It certainly sounds like your brother needs some assistance ASAP and you have done the right thing and letting him know that someone cares about him is very important to getting well again and is a protective factor.
Good luck

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Fiery,
Thinking about you and your bro. If he is headed back to school can you sit down with him and help him identify resources that his school provides? Schools are required to provide prompt mental health care, the early 20s aren''t just the time when depression and bipolar seem to really take hold, but also more organic issues like schizophrenia. Your brother is fortunate to have you. My BIL suffered from anxiety and depression for several years in college and did awful things to himself while waiting for everyone to figure out that he had schizophrenia. Now with medication and state services he is doing great and continuing his studies. There is no shame in asking for help, the school probably provides some services for free (well, included in tuition). Your bro could not just call counseling services, but his advisor if grades are being affected... Good luck to you and your entire family.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the tips and concern.

My brother came down Saturday night but left early this morning. He really didn''t want to miss class even though my mom and I told him that he should take some time to help himself first.

I was watching him all weekend. He''s really thin, much more than he used to be. He has always been a thin guy but can eat a whole house. We were feeding him and he was eating well so it doesn''t seem like he has lost his appetite. I''m thinking that he''s just really lonely. He''s in college but lives in an apartment with four other roommates. These roommates aren''t friends of his but he says that he does hang out with them from time to time.

He''s also really stressed out with school. He compares himself a lot to me (he''s taking the same major I did) and each time that he doesn''t do well in an exam, he thinks he fails in life. I shared with him my experiences with school. I had failed an entire semester because I was really stressed out but he didn''t know that. He was young when I went to undergrad (maybe 11 or 12) so we never really talked about my experience. I told him that my mistake was not recognizing that it was all too much for me and withdrawing when I had the chance. I encouraged him to consider it, especially if school is the reason why he feels down most of the time.

He''s seeing a therapist today. My mom put a call into the school to let them know in case he doesn''t address all the issues with the therapist. She''s also taking this week off from work and staying with him to cook and help him out.

I think he has just set really high expectations for himself and feels like a failure when he doesn''t reach it. Plus, the loneliness gets to him. I told him that whenever he wants to visit all he has to do is call and I''ll put money into his account so that he can take the bus. He wants to come down next weekend as well and also for Halloween. I told him that he can pick out DD''s costume and take her "trick or treating" just to give him something to look forward to.

I''m really hoping that he opens up to the therapist and tells him/her everything so that he can start healing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results