clarity

PSA: What to do during a mass shooting

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it.
I frigging love it.:doh::doh::doh:

America needs a PSA for this from a major newspaper! :nono:

Clearly this is something to just get used to like acts of God, tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes etc.
Clearly gun control is as likely as God control.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...&utm_term=.6ac9e3e7bc16&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Partial snip:

Dave Grossman, author of “On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society,” speaks regularly on the subject and often begins his lectures with this question: “How many kids in America have died from a school fire in recent years?” His answer: “None.” Meanwhile, according to a 2014 FBI study, active shooters killed 117 people in schools between 2000 and 2013. Schools conduct fire drills and adhere to fire codes, but they generally don’t do nearly as much, Grossman insists, to train students for a scenario far more likely to kill kids in schools: an active shooter. Most adults lack preventive training, as well.

Talking about these attacks can be difficult and heart-wrenching. But we can’t avoid preparing ourselves just because the topic is disturbing. As my colleague James Hamilton — who served for years in the FBI and provides training to corporations, government agencies and security personnel for public figures — says, “You must be an active participant in your own survival.”

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't read it. Behind a paywall.

Edit - cleared browser and will read. thank you.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Active shooter classes can be very good information. My employer has done them and my local range sponsors them for free with local law enforcement.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This tiny bandaid on our giant gushing wound f#cking pisses me off.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is horrific that such terrible and evil people exist.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great article! (Yes, awful that it even has to be brought up! I'm choosing to read it from the point of view of other things where it could come in handy.)
Love this advice not just for shootings, but any emergency. The advice would help people survive in fire, earthquake, and other disasters also.
Being aware of what is around is so important! Can mean the difference between grabbing the AED at the end of the hall and a colleague dying before the paramedics arrive.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have physical limitations now, so I choose to become a recluse instead. I don't require any guns to do that. Maybe a "Go Away" doormat at the front door.:saint:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:doh::doh::doh:
It is horrific that such terrible and evil weapons exist.
It is horrible that evil people do terrible things using inanimate objects.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is horrible that evil people do terrible things using inanimate objects.

So, let's legalize nuclear bombs too ... open carry of course.

American society will be even more polite than it is now.

Last edited:

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
My work runs an active shooter drill every year. We go to all the exits to remind folks where they are and assess which rooms, if one couldn't escape, would make good hiding places and which won't (good: solid doors with locks, having furniture that can be pushed against the door, etc...), make-shift weapons. Then we talk about what we would do. It's a way to force people to really think about it, because you just never know.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At my last job we had an expert come and give a talk about this very subject. Bottom line: stay low, run and hide, run away.

I keep hoping that we reach a tipping point where people say enough is enough. Instead I think we're all going to have to be armed to go to dinner.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IM ready to move....

Reactions: t-c

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my state, before you can be granted a divorce you have to take a class about co-parenting with your ex. Said class is 100% mandatory for anyone with children, costs $80, and you need to line up childcare. Delightful.

As I sat there in the freezing cold community college auditorium, I definitely thought to myself "Huh. This is actually kind of a prime target for an angry ex husband or wife shooter. Bunch of parents going through custody and legal issues."

When I attend my last class next week I will absolutely be planning to sit near an exit.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in a school in Brooklyn, we have just as many "lock down" and "lock in" drills as fire drills. Recently our entire district was on "lock in" for 3 hours as police pursued a man who assaulted and raped 3 women within the district just that morning. I honestly thought all schools practiced these drills.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliott, that is a great point and example. I’m still dealing with my divorce and custody dispute, and while I consider myself a rational person who operates decently under stress, when it comes to my ex I absolutely see red and feel rage towards him like I never thought possible. Even a slight change in circumstances for me (more exposure to guns, owning one or more, having been raised in a different environment with fewer opportunities, or more severe mental issues than I already have, etc) I can see how one could make the decision to really show their ex and make them sorry for leaving them or fighting for custody or whatever.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
option 2 if no gun.
Grab fire extinguisher send others to best cover available.
Stand 4 feet from closed door on the knob side along the wall.
Spay gunman in the face when he comes into room.
Hit over head with extinguisher until he is not a threat.
Grab gun close door and prepare just in case their are others.
Call 911 and inform the dispatcher where you are and that one of the gunman is down and if you hear other gunshots or if it went quiet.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point suggesting that everyone draw their gun during a shooting is just baiting and completely ignorant and disrespectful to everyone who has lost someone to or been a victim of gun violence :rolleyes:

If I die next week at the hands of some rageaholic with an automatic weapon, I will at least die with some integrity and my kids will know that I didn't behave like an idiot by bringing guns into a college.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
At this point suggesting that everyone draw their gun during a shooting is just baiting and completely ignorant and disrespectful to everyone who has lost someone to or been a victim of gun violence :rolleyes:

If I die next week at the hands of some rageaholic with an automatic weapon, I will at least die with some integrity and my kids will know that I didn't behave like an idiot by bringing guns into a college.

I have personally defended myself and loved ones with a gun on 2 occasions thankfully without having to fire a shot.
A family member was killed in a gang related shooting.
I blame the gang not guns.
So I must respectfully disagree.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have personally defended myself and loved ones with a gun on 2 occasions thankfully without having to fire a shot.

Then you should see how illogical it is to answer guns and gangs and murder with more guns. Oh well, pray about it I guess.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Then you should see how illogical it is to answer guns and gangs and murder with more guns. Oh well, pray about it I guess.
A good guy with a gun stopped the shooting in Texas.
Not the police, not the FBI not the ATF, an armed citizen stopped it.
The police, the FBI and the ATF did their job, filled out the paperwork after the fact.
There is an old saying that is very true.
When seconds count, the cops are minutes away.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If the gang did not have access to guns, he or others might have been alive.
We either cut access to guns, or we add lithium into water because Trump said it is mental illness.
You choose.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We either cut access to guns, or we add lithium into water because Trump said it is mental illness.
You choose.

I’m going to wade in here to ask, how do you propose to get the guns out of the hands of gangs, criminals, etc.? Chicago has tried several programs and our gang violence is increasing. You make it sound so simplistic. It would be a lovely utopian world if only...
Karl, I’m sorry for the loss of your family member.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You choose.
To think that this is even possible is being naive. There is no way to get this genie back in the bottle and I wish people would realize this and move on to better solutions. Bonfire is right and barring door to door confiscation in every house in the US there is no way to rid every firearm from the country. If you want confiscation of every firearm then you are living in a fantasy world with all due respect. These extreme views do nothing to further any kind of solutions. People have to be realistic.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good guy with a gun stopped the shooting in Texas.
Not the police, not the FBI not the ATF, an armed citizen stopped it.
The police, the FBI and the ATF did their job, filled out the paperwork after the fact.
There is an old saying that is very true.
When seconds count, the cops are minutes away.
Ultimately everyone is responsible for their own safety. How they choose to take on that responsibility is up to them.

Karl I am sorry as well for your loss.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You choose.

It's ridiculous. I will never ever understand people who think MORE guns are the answer and I wish I didn't have to encounter them in everyday life.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's ridiculous. I will never ever understand people who think MORE guns are the answer and I wish I didn't have to encounter them in everyday life.

And I’m still waiting to hear what your practical solution would be. We have gun laws in Chicago for example, and yet our gun deaths are the highest in the nation. To be clear, I’m not advocating more guns. Please tell me your ideas on how you think this can be controlled and reversed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results