kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This raises questions.
How could this happen, and how can it be prevented in the future?

Sure, the company can include safety warnings, but is that always enough?
Perhaps some products simply cannot be safe in some households.
I mean kids will be kids, and dogs and cats can't understand and obey orders to stay away.
Perhaps an elderly person with long hair could fall near it.
... or a perfectly healthy adult.

What's the solution?
Perhaps buyers should sign a liability release so the company can not be sued if owners do not follow directions and safety warnings.

And since these parents apparently didn't read, or didn't follow, the safety warnings should they be put on trial for child endangerment?
Where does the blame lie here?

Many other kids have been injured by Pelotrons, and one has died.
Fortunately for Pelotron there's no YT video of that one - "optics" and all.

... and ... uhm ... couldn't they just put a guard at the back of the thing?

Last edited:

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
My heart breaks for the family tht lost a child as well as those who have suffered injuries. The peloton tread has a key that they recommend you remove when its not in use. Without this it is inoperable by a child.
I have seen pictures of this monstrosity of a treadmill in playrooms, videos of children and pet walking on it.
I agree that there are design flaws that could be and should be improved.. the start button is a knob that I notice during cleaning would start the tread.
My youngest is 12 and is not allowed on it, he is old enough to understand this. Younger kids and pets present a whole other level of risk.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... The peloton tread has a key that they recommend you remove when its not in use. Without this it is inoperable by a child. ...

... and nobody is lazy or forgetful, late to work, had a glass of wine, and just leaves the key there?
... and kids won't notice there's a key, then find it like they find the hidden cookies?

... again ... a simple permanently-installed guard/grill/shield at the back solves this problem.

IMO this, and many other products, could have more bullet-proof and dummy-proof safety by smarter design and manufacturing instead of relying on lawyers making the the instructions lawsuit-proof ... which of course is cheaper for higher profits and lower manufacturing costs than actually making a safer product.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
treadmills are dangerous period.
I know of more than one adult injured on one ranging from broken noses to broken ankles.
They have to be treated with respect not as toys.

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
... and nobody is lazy or forgetful, late to work, had a glass of wine, and just leaves the key there?
... and kids won't notice there's a key, then find it like they find the hidden cookies?

... again ... a simple permanently-installed guard/grill/shield at the back solves this problem.

Treadmills have always been a safety hazard with children/pets. A guard/grill/shield I agree will help but the start button being a knob that is easily assesible will still be problem if the owner does not take the additional step of removing the key. The same way we all take additional steps to avoid children turning on a gas cooker.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They probably made it that way to meet rules...current safety thinking is this is safer than a small area between a guard and a belt that might grab someones clothing and choke them to death.
What might help is a sensor that if the rear is lifted it stops asap might help it from getting sever but wont prevent it.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember a few years ago Mike Tyson's daughter died from getting her neck wrapped up in a treadmill cord. I always unplugged my treadmill when I had one and hid the cord underneath it.

That boy in the video is so lucky he wasn't injured more than he was.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly buying cheesecakes is safer than buying a treadmill. ;))

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I have a treadmill and it has a safety cord that I clip to my person. If I were to fall, it cuts the power. I don’t have small kids. Dog is allowed in the room when I use the treadmill, but he lays on the couch. He knows he is not allowed near it.
If I did have young kids, I would be using when they were napping or out of the room, and would unplug the treadmill when not using.
Life has risks, you have to monitor small kids and pets to keep them safe.
Not the most dangerous thing in a house in my opinion.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything in life has risks no matter how carefully designed. There is room for improvement here and it is awful what happened, but that should not be blown into an overreaction. Waivers and other things should not be required. If they are, that just brings up signing liability waivers for almost everything in life. How many parents have car keys where their kids can get them? Some kids would be able to mimick what their parents do and go start the car. Same for stoves, candles, power tools, yoga balls, baths, and so many other things it is impossible to list them all. The forms would be endless!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results