shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA on bras and airports

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently on a plane as I type this and figured all the ladies here could do with this useful tip. Warning you now - it's going to start with a tad TMI....

Today I'm wearing a beautiful new bra. (See? I told you! TMI!) It's light purple lace, and it's embroidered with tiny silver flowers in metallic thread. It's gorgeous! (We're really going from bad to worse at this point, aren't we?!)

Unfortunately, when I went to the airport this morning, and walked through the scanner....I got pulled to one side and told I was setting off the entire machine in the chest area!

Yep, you guessed it! Airport scanners pick up metallic thread!

So ladies - a PSA: if it sparkles, don't wear it on the plane!!

Fascinating - yet NOT cool to have to stand, blocking the security line, explaining to the nice lady that I was wearing some nice, sparkly new unmentionables!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we were in China a few years ago, their scanners were set to pick underwires in bras, and I got stopped everywhere!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: That’s hilarious! Never had this happen. They wanted a closer look at an Hermes bracelet I had in my purse once, but that’s about it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had the scanner go off with underwire bras. That was years ago. I thought they had made improvements as it hasn’t happened to me in the past 10 years. Nothing like being on a business trip with a group of men and being pulled aside because your bra is sound alarms.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The scanner goes off on my underwire pretty much every time, and that's the first thing I said to them today. I think they're used to that, tho, and they said "That's definitely not it" immediately.

When they showed me the scan for this morning, it looked like my entire breastal region was cast iron!! This was a new one on them!

Very glad I didn't wear the matching knickers.... :-o

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm currently on a plane as I type this and figured all the ladies here could do with this useful tip. Warning you now - it's going to start with a tad TMI....

Today I'm wearing a beautiful new bra. (See? I told you! TMI!) It's light purple lace, and it's embroidered with tiny silver flowers in metallic thread. It's gorgeous! (We're really going from bad to worse at this point, aren't we?!)

Unfortunately, when I went to the airport this morning, and walked through the scanner....I got pulled to one side and told I was setting off the entire machine in the chest area!

Yep, you guessed it! Airport scanners pick up metallic thread!

So ladies - a PSA: if it sparkles, don't wear it on the plane!!

Fascinating - yet NOT cool to have to stand, blocking the security line, explaining to the nice lady that I was wearing some nice, sparkly new unmentionables!

I had this happen before, but luckily it was my shirt and not my bra.

There was still a lot of unwanted touching.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just another reason to go braless.

:halo:

Have a safe flight @mrs-b!

Volute

Rough_Rock
Ha, I was pulled aside once by a TSA agent who said “MA’AM IT’S YOUR UNDERWEAR” in the world’s loudest stage whisper. Heads whipped ‘round. Yup, it was just my underwire.

I hope your flight goes smoothly and quickly!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@missy and other braless advocates...do you think it's acceptable for nipples to be visible as a bump on a shirt because the woman is braless? I can't help but think that would be distracting to many people, and not the kind of attention that professional women want.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy and other braless advocates...do you think it's acceptable for nipples to be visible as a bump on a shirt because the woman is braless? I can't help but think that would be distracting to many people, and not the kind of attention that professional women want.

No I don't like that and it is a problem lol. TMI but even if I am warm my you know what can be standing at attention so yeah that's an issue. When I go out I wear a bra because of that reason. Otherwise I would never wear one. :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
No I don't like that and it is a problem lol. TMI but even if I am warm my you know what can be standing at attention so yeah that's an issue. When I go out I wear a bra because of that reason. Otherwise I would never wear one. :)

Oh, I'm 100% in support of going braless at home. I just really don't like it when it's celebrities that get photographed with their you-know-what showing through whatever they're wearing in public. I think it contributes to the problem of women getting objectified in most people's minds.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They always want to poke around in my hair or ask me to take it down, let them look on top. It's so bizarre. What am I going to hide up there?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm 100% in support of going braless at home. I just really don't like it when it's celebrities that get photographed with their you-know-what showing through whatever they're wearing in public. I think it contributes to the problem of women getting objectified in most people's minds.

I really hate this. When I was in high school I was harassed nearly every day when I walked into my study hall. The upperclassmen would straight up yell "THO!" and "Titty hard on!" and other crass expressions. Bodysuits were in style then, and I didn't feel the need to wear padded bras. What on earth is the big deal about nipples? You know who should be worrying about nipples? Men like golfer Phil Mickelson who have huge ones and you can see them through his thin golf shirts. That dude needs a manssiere, bad.

For the rest of my life I've worn bras with light padding in them. I think I'm going to stop doing that. Why should I let someone else's issues with objectification dictate my wardrobe choices?

Also sick of the attitude that breasts exist for men's pleasure and gratification only. I'll never forget the time I was breastfeeding my daughter, I was on a yacht for a political fundraiser and went down below to nurse in the privacy of one of the staterooms and when I came back up this older blonde woman said "you'd never have caught me breastfeeding, these things are for SEX." How vulgar and declasse. Maybe that was a generational thing. But it made me feel awful and like I had done something wrong.

Americans need to get over their fascination with boobs as nothing but sex objects. It's not the fault of women, it's up to society to normalize breasts by teaching their children appropriate ways to conduct themselves and not sending the message to girls that their bodies are anything to feel ashamed of.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@monarch64 the way you're talking, I wonder if we're hitting a slippery slope. Man nipples would be unprofessional in an office setting as well. A golfer is playing a sport, and I guess people are used to seeing athletes wearing jerseys that allow them to sweat instead of covering up. With the way you're talking about people needing to accept and adapt to others' lack of body shame, is there a point where you'd draw the line? If people wanted to walk around the office naked, are you saying that it's the fault of those who would be uncomfortable seeing the naked bodies?

Also, there are other reasons to wear bras apart from covering the nipples. The women I know who go sans bra are generally the ones who are not so well endowed they need support. If I went for a run without wearing a bra, I'd be feeling 20 lb of force slapping against my chest, which is not good for comfort or avoiding injury.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
What an eventful journey and good PSA for us all! It's so fun to wear something pretty underneath. Now that I'm at home working I'm thrilled to go braless! Safe travels and I hope it's a relaxing and fun trip.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I don't require much support and enjoy the freedom of going bra-less on occasion in non-professional settings. At work, I absolutely will wear a bra- I don't need nor want any sexualization taking place in the workplace. A stroll around the neighborhood- my neighbors can deal.

But then again, I don't understand the gender role in holding the door open at work either (in sales, this tactic may be useful).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They always want to poke around in my hair or ask me to take it down, let them look on top. It's so bizarre. What am I going to hide up there?

Oh gwad
When i went to Brisbane years ago i had a metal hair clip
to this day i still do not understand the Australian accent of the offical saying it was my hair piece

I also always fly with steel caps on (- if there is a survivable plane crash im dam well sure im going to survive it )

we dont have to take our shoes off here here or our belts -so its always a drama because i forget to take them off first

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have had issues with underwire bras before. Never thought of shiny thread being a problem though. Good tip.

Your bra sounds lovely (I love purple!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, happens to me too.
It's such a hassle, and I have no idea why security singles me out. :angryfire:
Must be my face.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.56.25 PM.png

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Beaded items will also get you a STEP ASIDE invitation...my favorite beaded Zadig teeshirt (skull face) was an instigator... :cool2::rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mine are visible in padded bras too. Barely a difference unless you look really close. I am careful what I wear without though. Nothing too light in color or too thin or form showing. Nothing loose enough to possibly flop open at top or bottom as I bend to pick something up.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I've never had an issue with undergarments. I did get stopped for an unopened can of hot cocoa powder. They took it from me :[

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Since COVID, I have switched to wireless bras. I dread the day I have to wear wired bras again, but with my endowment, it is mandatory in a professional environment, although I have since stopped caring about random people on the street. Non-wired bras do make me feel more reubanesque but boy it's a bit freeing!

I did have a weird situation with surgical staples at an airport - I was already traveling in quite a bit of pain (trust me, was not ideal!) and setting off the alarms was the last thing I needed!

I have permanent, internal metal bits too but luckily they are titanium and don't seem to set anything off, PHEW! Funny I never would have thought about metal thread on a bra!!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I wore a strapless bra once when traveling. It was the kind that resembles an old fashioned corset with vertical boning in it and fastens near the waist with a row of hooks and eyes. Modern boning is made with small metal strips (in the olden days it was whale bones hence the name) and used to make the garment hold its form.

Anyway, I was in a rush that morning getting dressed and wasn't thinking. I put it on because I wanted to wear a summer dress with spaghetti straps and didn't want bra straps to show. Well, you can imagine how badly it set off the TSA machines! Good Lord they acted like I was wearing an improvised explosive vest. :wall:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results