carat
color
clarity

PSA, Make your own alcohol wipes

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make my own wipes.
WAY WAY cheaper and, unlike purchased ones, are always available.

(I originally posted this in the grocery delivery thread but decided it deserves a PSA thread for better visibility.)

Recently 70% Iso Alcohol has returned to Costco, only about $3.50 for two 1-quart bottles.
Limit 2
(4 quarts = 1 gallon).
Cheap.

I cut up several paper towels into squares about 6 inches by 6 inches.
Stack them neatly up on a plate.
Pour a couple tablespoons of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol on them.
Wait a minute or so till it's fully absorbed.
If there are dry areas add more alcohol.

Peel up each sheet, one at a time, crumble it, and put each into a freezer ZipLock bag - I like the Quart size.
Alcohol likes to evaporate quickly and I think freezer bags seal better, than the regular ziplock bags.
Why do I go through the trouble of crumbling up each one as I put it into the bag?
Because if you just put the whole 'pad' of wet paper into the bag it's very difficult to pull out just one.

Here in So. California it's sunny and mid 60s so I do this preparation outside because alcohol fumes are pretty strong and hazdardous for my parrot.
I also use rubber gloves because alcohol dries out my skin.

I carry the bag in a pocket and wipe down the shopping cart - not just the handle, but all 4 top edges.
While shopping I find I sometimes grab the cart along the other 3 top edges, not just the handle.
I don't bother wiping down the cart's interior surfaces.
That's where I draw the line.

I also like to wipe down the handle even if the store has already sprayed it.
I don't know what chemicals are in their spray, and I handle a parrot I want to protect.

Last edited:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the tips @kenny ! Can I request parrot pics please?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, but I'll start a new thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results