PSA Holiday Safety for our furbabies

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

screen_shot_2015-12-03_at_1.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this Kenny. Always a good reminder.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's also worthwhile mentioning that you ought to tell people not to feed your pets when they've been invited to your home. It seems like common sense, but some people think it's "no big deal". The day after thanksgiving someone gave my dog table scraps and he got soooo sick. He ended up having diarrhea in the house (my bedroom, no less!) and required a $350 trip to the vet for medications to stop the diarrhea and make him comfortable. It totally sucked for everyone!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky doesn't agree with turkey...lol. She eats a mostly raw diet so gets raw turkey necks which of course is different.

Booze should also be on that list. As much as my dog loves the stuff its really a no no. Her daddy left a beer at nose level, she got into it and drank most of it down. Nothing wrong with her, she went right to sleep...snored that night to! :rolleyes: . But at a party of mine, someone left a pretty heavy liquored up drink at nose level (not that greyhounds are tiny mind you!) being it was sweet and fruity, oh yeah she got her self some of that! tippled her butt to bed after about 20 minutes but boy she became VERY FRIENDLY for a while :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1449157715|3956902 said:
I think it's also worthwhile mentioning that you ought to tell people not to feed your pets when they've been invited to your home. It seems like common sense, but some people think it's "no big deal". The day after thanksgiving someone gave my dog table scraps and he got soooo sick. He ended up having diarrhea in the house (my bedroom, no less!) and required a $350 trip to the vet for medications to stop the diarrhea and make him comfortable. It totally sucked for everyone!!!

Imodium works great for diarrhea in dogs...ask me how I know. Pepto also works if you can get it down their throats. We have several Syringes just for that.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Great reminders that can easily be overlooked during this busy time of year - thanks for sharing =)

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good reminder to all of us.

We got a call from a greenhouse saying they had a poinsettia to be delivered to us from our banker. We felt bad but asked if they could substitute because of our dogs. We received one last year and it was so large we didn't have a place for it away from the dogs so we put it in an out of the way place and then tossed it out a few days later.

Our late dog had a myriad of digestive disorders so I always had metronidazole on hand for her (actually still do - part of my first aid kit for them). When we would host my husband's holiday parties I'd tell people when they came in not to feed the dog or we'd end up with a dog with bloody diarrhea. That would do it - no one dared give her any nibbles :lol: . She always managed to find a few crumbs here and there but at least no one was hand feeding her cheese or worse.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No grapes or raisins, either. Can cause renal failure in some dogs (but not all.) We just had a scare a few weekends ago when my Daisy somehow found 2 mini boxes of raisins and ate them both. Vet had just closed and I was panicking. She was fine, but an older dog or very small dog could be a different story. I've heard for years not to give dogs grapes or raisins, but upon further research after it happened here found that only 20 cases of renal failure in dogs have been reported by vets since 1999. Better safe than sorry, though, obviously.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We always make sure to buy extra treats for the dogs during this time, so they have appropriate new foods and toys to draw their attention. They don't bother with decorations, and we don't leave food anywhere that could be reached. Not too hard since they're under a foot tall. We don't have live plants because of them either. Basically we put their needs first, because they will never be able to distinguish good from bad without our help. ;))

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian said:
tuffyluvr|1449157715|3956902 said:

Imodium works great for diarrhea in dogs...ask me how I know. Pepto also works if you can get it down their throats. We have several Syringes just for that.

Good to know!!! The vet gave us bismuth with neomycin to soothe his tummy and I'm sure it cost about 4x as much as a bottle of pepto!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny and all thank you for the safety tips. Its good to remember each holiday season. Now that tree is up dog can't have run of house. Hung my Christmas fairies high otherwise they'd be expensive and dangerous chew toys. And why do dogs like to drink water out of tree holders (and showers, the holes on our patio for our pool fence, potted plant plates...)? :confused:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1449159337|3956917 said:
Booze should also be on that list. As much as my dog loves the stuff its really a no no. Her daddy left a beer at nose level, she got into it and drank most of it down. Nothing wrong with her, she went right to sleep...snored that night to! :rolleyes: . But at a party of mine, someone left a pretty heavy liquored up drink at nose level (not that greyhounds are tiny mind you!) being it was sweet and fruity, oh yeah she got her self some of that! tippled her butt to bed after about 20 minutes but boy she became VERY FRIENDLY for a while :lol:

I'm giggling at the thought of your dog liquored up. My pug is always super friendly and I can't imagine how friendly if he had a few sips of wine. He might be a better dancer too!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can never have too many reminders of this type of stuff...thank you.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I hope you don't mind an addition to your PSA. I had never heard of an animal eating this . :(

In case you have ornaments made from salt dough.

The Pospisil family has an important message for pet owners: Watch what you are putting on your Christmas tree.

Mother Hope Pospisil put up a Facebook post giving this warning to others after the family's dog, Lexi, died from eating a Christmas tree ornament. The pawprint ornament, created by daughter Alice, was made of salt dough, reports AJC.com, a baking material that can be toxic to pets.

Salt dough often contains a salt content that can be fatal to both cats and dogs, according to the Pet Poison Hotline. Two-year-old Lexi consumed the ornament after sneaking downstairs Tuesday morning.

http://www.peoplepets.com/2015/12/2...ning-after-dog-dies-eating-christmas-ornament

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results