shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA -- for those with pets

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to split this post into two parts. The top super simplified and not graphic. The bottom section with trigger warning.

My grandmother's dog crossed the rainbow bridge peacefully yesterday with the assistance of a vet at home. I asked her beforehand to confirm that she used a sedative injection prior to the injection to pass. She said yes and everything went very peacefully. Always ALWAYS ask about the sedative before you allow the process to begin. Never proceed without.

To avoid the awful thing that brings this PSA, stop reading here. I will keep it more mild, but it is still upsetting.
I learned yesterday that part of why my grandmother was so reluctant to help her son's dog pass was because the dog she had prior to him was taken to their regular trusted vet when his quality of life was a problem. This vet she had trusted for years skipped the sedative and just injected to one to stop his heart. He panicked. He screamed and cried while running desperately through the room until he literally ran into a wall. They were able to pick him up and hold him at that point as he cried in terror until the end. I thought this had to be a crazy unheard of thing until I passed it along to the nice lady who runs the pet crematorium I go through. She said that a family brought a dog just this week who had been through the same thing. The family took him to their trusted vet and he skipped the sedative. The details were heart wrenching. The family was seriously traumatized.

I had to stand with my grandmother out of the room while my mom sat with the dog as he passed. Grandma was looking so anxious and trying to keep busy but clearly straining to hear. She expected yesterday to be the same. She thought that he was going to suffer miserably like the last one and it crushed her to think she was doing that to him.

I couldn't believe it. This seems to be more common than I ever would have guessed. Always ask. I don't know if those vets usually do it that way or if they were in a rush and tried to save time or what. Maybe they were tired and just forgot? I don't know. At the end of the day, all that matters is trying to make sure that we remember to ask the question. Just to be sure.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UGH!
Wow.
So sorry!

I'm not a litigious person, but for this I'd sue.

Thanks for the PSA!
If I ever need to put a pet down I'll get the sedative requirement in writing, and signed by the vet Dr.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry @TooPatient ..You are such a good granddaughter. I’m relieved to hear your grandma’s dog passed peacefully.

I didn’t know about the sedative.. TG my Bailey also passed peacefully. I still feel bad that I had to wear a mask in the room with him because there were strict Covid protocols in place at the time. I put my face on him so he could smell me…and just pet him. He kept sniffing and trying to wag his tail..I kept telling him he was such a good dog..the best. I would have lost it if my vet let my Bailey suffer at the end. It just breaks my heart. Thank you for taking the time to let people know about the sedative. Big hugs..

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I’ve never heard of that! I’ve had to put two dogs down and it was peaceful both times. If that happened to my dog, the vet would have my fingers around their throat pdq.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my ****ing god.

Your poor grandmother. Her poor dog. I don’t even know how to react. The heartlessness that’s needed to skip sedation… WHY!??! It has never occurred to me to ask about the sedative, in fact my vets have always warned ME that my baby is going to go to sleep before being put to rest… But you bet I’ll be asking from now on to be extra safe.

I am so sorry. I can’t even imagine. My god.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vet put me in touch with a service that does do the at home euthanasia. The one that I've talked to and really like (they get great reviews) does indeed use a sedative. I know because I asked!! Additionally, so does the eVet thats less than half a mile away (they do a lot of other services, and they did Lucky's GOLP surgery)

Its important to me that neither of mine will go alone if I have anything to do with it, but they'll also be so damn zonked that they won't know whats going on if we can make it so.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This happened to my mom with her cat and she was traumatized. After that experience I ALWAYS ask for a sedative first. I think most vets do it anyway (so it’s two injections) but some don’t and I’m sorry that your grandma had that experience. :(

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
my God. I am a dog lover and I work with hospice patients. This is the most horrible thing I have ever heard in my life. So sorry anyone ever had to experience this. What sh***y vets.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately I've never had to "put a pet down".
If I ever do, I'll do what a good friend did.
As the vet put doggie to sleep, she held him in her arms, petting and talking calmly to it.

To further reduce the pet's stress this should take place at home.
If this home-service isn't possible, then at the vet.

If the vet refuses, I'd find another vet, or google up someone qualified person offering this service.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what animal shelters (pounds) do, and whether there are state laws ensuring animals don't suffer needlessly.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry that your grandmother had to witness this barbarity.

I’ve been with all my dogs when they were PTS, and it was always very peaceful. When my beautiful girl had to be PTS, I sat on the floor with her, kissing her face, telling her how much we loved her, what a good girl she was, and so brave. The vet told me the last sense they have is hearing, so it’s good to talk to them right to the very end.

It’s been 3 1/2 years, and I have tears streaming down my face now just thinking about it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
poor Tibby was very sick and very dehydrated, the vet tried 4 times to inject the seditive,by the 4th atempt he wasnt overly happy

so the vet had to inject it into somewhwre else so that Tibby just went to sleep before the end one

with all medical procedures id rather not know,
but the vet was kind and Tibby went off to be with my mum and dad and Tinky
i wish the vet could ahve done a house call but unless you have a farm animal vet i dont hink its an option here

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what animal shelters (pounds) do, and whether there are state laws ensuring animals don't suffer needlessly.

It varies by shelter. I know our local shelter does a very careful two injection practice like I expect for all of mine. Most that I am aware of do it this way. I am sure there are exceptions, but the practice is inhumane so hopefully not many (and shrinking!).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i cant follow this thread its too upsetting im sorry

our local SPCA is a no kill one (but i always worry about the more wild Toms- why i get our strays friendly before i take them in )

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately I've never had to "put a pet down".
If I ever do, I'll do what a good friend did.
As the vet put doggie to sleep, she held him in her arms, petting and talking calmly to it.

To further reduce the pet's stress this should take place at home.
If this home-service isn't possible, then at the vet.

If the vet refuses, I'd find another vet, or google up someone qualified person offering this service.

I have had to do it twice. So difficult for me but what was best for my two elderly pets. I held them both to comfort as best as I could. Home service back then wasn’t really available. Both of them knew they were somewhere they didn’t want to be but both were having significant breathing issues. I can still see their eyes not really knowing what was happening. Still makes me cry. Next time around it will be different but I was there with them until the very end and after. They were dearly loved and knew it but just not being home and having health issues didn’t help matters. It was quick and no suffering beyond their conditions but still. . . so hard to let go. I can’t imagine having to endure the above process. Those are times you can’t unsee or forget. Bless her soul!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had to do it three times. Twice I went to the Vet's office (at home wasn't available back then) and both times I assume they got a sedative because they went very peacefully. I didn't know to ask though.
The last time, in 2019, I was able to use a Vet that came to the house and honestly, it was as good as it could be in such a bad situation. She told me she was giving him a sedative first, so I know it was done. The vet was so caring and my dog got to pass peacefully in his bed, he was 16, couldn't really stand anymore, and he seemed so ready to go. I would always choose it to be done at home now, if the time ever comes again.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
My last dear kitty was put to sleep a few years ago in our home under a sedative at first - then she was then given the final injection that took her life, painlessly and she had no fear. It is out of compassion that we aid our pets to the rainbow bridge, and thank you @TooPatient for educating everyone about this. This is such a difficult discussion, but it needs to be acknowledged that we are our pets advocators and we need to be assured that they will not suffer in the end. Education is power. I wish we could also be so compassionate with humans.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I am so so sorry for your terrible loss and I apologize in advance as I cannot read your entire post. Thank you for the trigger warning and I'm sending gentle hugs and well wishes your way. My sincerest condolences to you and your grandmother :(

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I too could not read past the beginning of your post. I’m so very sorry you, your grandma and pooch had to go through such excruciating pain during this. It’s too horrible to think of. I still tear up thinking of when I had to let my fur baby go. I held him in my arms as he gently fell asleep. That was heartbreakingly difficult already, and I can’t imagine what you went through. So so sorry. ❤️

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I too could not read past the beginning of your post. I’m so very sorry you, your grandma and pooch had to go through such excruciating pain during this. It’s too horrible to think of. I still tear up thinking of when I had to let my fur baby go. I held him in my arms as he gently fell asleep. That was heartbreakingly difficult already, and I can’t imagine what you went through. So so sorry. ❤️

Thankfully, this one went super peacefully. I wasn't there for the other time. Just hearing what she went through was bad enough I wanted to share so others could know to ask just to be extra safe. I'm not sure I would have made it without assault charges if I had witnessed such a thing!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't read past the warning, but wanted to thank you for posting it so I wouldn't continue. I can't read about upsetting pet stories yet. My little love in my avatar died last year and I still struggle some days. Her euthanasia was peaceful and I don't know what happened to your grandma's baby, but it must have been really sh!tty to have to do a PSA.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
At my age, I have lost count of the number of dogs I have lost over the years. None of them have ever evidenced any pain or fear and all but one were gone before the injection was finished. I have always been amazed at how quickly the injections work and how peacefully my dogs, and one cat have gone to sleep.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the PSA, and I shall make sure when the time comes for my pets to be PTS they will get their sedatives, and I shall be there with them until the very end.

With my first dog, I was blessed in that he died peacefully at home with me and the cat next to him, with no fuss, no nothing.

I did not have to make the dreadful decision for him.

I was assured by the vets afterwards that he did not suffer and was not in any pain. He died of old age being just a month before his 14th birthday, which was a good age for a Border Terrier.

He left a huge void and I still miss him every day.

DK :cry2:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never heard of that, ever. And thank goodness, it sounds excruciating and horrific. I’ve had to put down one cat and one pup and both times it was very peaceful. I held them until they passed, but once I felt their soul leave, and I hope they found some tiny ounce of comfort in that. For my dog, I almost left before they did it, but I’m so glad I stayed. I feel bad for any pet that has to cross the bridge without their owner holding them dear.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It truly is the kindest thing we can do but we all know that a part of your heart goes with them. Thank goodness we have enough heart left to welcome a new fur baby when the time is right. I always say it is not to replace them but to honor them and bear witness to the fact that they were so loved. It gives us hope that we can love and cherish yet another. My current pup has my heart but I will never forget the two that I lost. Sweet memories!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It truly is the kindest thing we can do but we all know that a part of your heart goes with them. Thank goodness we have enough heart left to welcome a new fur baby when the time is right. I always say it is not to replace them but to honor them and bear witness to the fact that they were so loved. It gives us hope that we can love and cherish yet another. My current pup has my heart but I will never forget the two that I lost. Sweet memories!

Some people questioned how I could decide to get another dog the night of my old dog's death, and for the new puppy to arrive about 2 weeks after his death.

My old dog left a huge void after his death, and I miss him every day.

My new dog is not his replacement, however, he has filled a large part of that void.

This scene in Lethal Weapon 4 always rings true for me when it comes to grieving and moving on:

Froggy speech - Lethal Weapon 4

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness
I'm so sorry that happened, @TooPatient

Just this past week we faced the possibility with our Heidi
Thankfully our vet was able to treat the issue.
But she's 15 and we know the time will come sooner than we'd like
I'll be sure to take your advice and ask about the sedative first

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people questioned how I could decide to get another dog the night of my old dog's death, and for the new puppy to arrive about 2 weeks after his death.

My old dog left a huge void after his death, and I miss him every day.

My new dog is not his replacement, however, he has filled a large part of that void.

This scene in Lethal Weapon 4 always rings true for me when it comes to grieving and moving on:

Froggy speech - Lethal Weapon 4

Not better - just different. Makes so much sense - thanks for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results