shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: Drug, Metformin, shows promise preventing Long Covid

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metformin is prescribed to diabetics to help control blood sugar levels.
A new study shows it may also prevent Long Covid. :clap:

Partial snip:

"A Breakthrough for Prevention of Long Covid

Until now the only way we knew that Long Covid could be prevented was to not get Covid. That’s still the case.
But a new randomized, placebo-controlled trial of metformin has yielded exciting results—the first drug to be shown to help prevent Long Covid.

Over a thousand people with mild-to-moderate Covid were randomly assigned to 2 weeks of metformin (500 mg pills, 1 on day 1, twice a day for 4 days, then 500 mg in AM and 1000 mg in PM for 9 days) or placebo.

There was a 42% reduction of subsequent Long Covid as you can see by the event curve below, which corresponds to an absolute decrease of 4.3%, from 10.6% reduced to 6.3%."

Here's the article.
The first half is Covid background info; the Metformin info starts in the middle.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have diabetes and have never taken metformin. But I do take Berberine, which is supposed ot be as good as metformin for regulating your blood sugar. I wonder if it would have the same beneficial effect on long covid,

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am Type 2 Diabetic and Metformin is one of 2 medications that I take to control it.

So far no sign of long Covid after I had it in March 2022, fingers firmly crossed that I don't get Covid again let alone long Covid!

DK :))

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh. My husband is recovering from COVID as we speak. I think I have some metformin somewhere. Need to call his doctor (and then do whatever I want, because that's pretty much how I roll anyway).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results