shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy thread with toddlers 12-36 months

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe maybe! B really has abs? What a cool dude! Oscar's tummy is more like a round beer belly, he's still a little fatty :lol: When I showed my mum that pic of O she thought the coffee table he was leaning on was a rug, and thought he just had his legs on the couch and the rest of him was levitating! Clearly didn't have her glasses on, bless her :rolleyes:

Toddlers are totally weird.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi|1418173465|3798577 said:
Hehe maybe! B really has abs? What a cool dude! Oscar's tummy is more like a round beer belly, he's still a little fatty :lol: When I showed my mum that pic of O she thought the coffee table he was leaning on was a rug, and thought he just had his legs on the couch and the rest of him was levitating! Clearly didn't have her glasses on, bless her :rolleyes:

Toddlers are totally weird.

Yeah, he has abs. Maybe not abs so much as a lack of fat, which sort of has the same effect. He's never had the big old baby belly...he's never even had rolls :( His back is really defined as well. It's very odd, for sure.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Katie's hatred for Santa continues. We really thought we were making progress. We've been hyping him up with moderate success. Katie definitely finds the idea of a jolly man leaving gifts under our Christmas tree appealing. When asked if she wants Santa to bring her gifts, she enthusiastically replies "yes!". So that's good.

But then we went to see Santa. This didn't go well from the get-go. While driving there we talked about how much fun it would be to take a picture with Santa. Katie was not having it--she kept saying "No Santa picture! Target!" I have no idea how Target ended up in this discussion, but she does love Target.

Long story short, despite buttering her up with her favorite candy and promises of watching Sophia the First, she couldn't hold back the tears. We actually put Cora on Santa's lap first since she's our social butterfly--and she was fine until Katie started crying. So now the tradition of crying Santa pictures continues.

katie_santa_0.jpg

katie_santa_2013.jpg

katie_santa_2014.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Your pictures are just priceless, NEL! And even though they're crying, your girls are so beautiful! We were at a mall with Ev a few weeks back, and he was able to look down from a second floor at Santa below. The Santa waved up to him, and Ev was beside himself thinking it was the greatest thing ever, and he still talks about it. But any mention of him sitting on Santa's lap, and he is adamant that he wants no part of that and starts getting really worried about the prospect. Given his strong reaction to just the mention of it, I'm pretty sure we'll forgo it this year.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
NEL, I saw the pic of the girls elsewhere last night and it made me crack up. So cute and so funny!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Gah, I *LOVE* your Santa pictures NEL. Seriously *LOVE* them!!! Ethan was also not having Santa pictures this year either. He likes seeing Santa but he was totally not about sitting on his lap. His words were, "He was scary, I don't want to sit on his lap."

This is the best Santa pic we could get. You can't really tell that he's squirming out of my arms to get away from there.

screenshot__2_.png

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness NEL! Those pics are absolute gold!! :appl: :appl:

Oscar is pretty happy to view Santa from a distance of about 10 feet. Any closer and it's all over!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahahahaha! These kids... Thanks for sharing, and I love the commentary, NEL!

I am currently the least favorite parent; I've taken on a full time project, and for the past few weeks A has really let me know she prefers the person who picks her up rather than the person who, oh, Idk , does EVERYTHING else. :rolleyes: Daddy is super helpful and wow does she recognize that but not Mommy's work. I try hard daily to let it go and just worry about Her happiness. I'm getting pushed, hit, smacked, etc. these days. I haven't made time to talk to daycare providers about whatever is going on bt others assure me it's a phase. Hmm. I don't think hitting is a phase and I am not cool with it. Strongly considering switching daycare after the holidays. Any advice/feedback is welcome! Actually...HELP!

ETA: I won't be away/working so much after January. So I probably should just wait this out. Just..coming home from a 10 hour workday to "no!" and kicking/hitting/pushing instead of the usual hugs and kisses is so discouraging. Baby years was SO much easier for me So much easier.

:(( Thanks for being here and listening/reading, ladies. I hope things are smoother at your houses! Love all the pics; keep 'em coming!

A couple of Alex:

holiday2014_0.jpg

alexholiday2014norweg.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My hat's off to you ladies for knowing your kids' boundaries and not pushing them. I actually get mad at D because I feel like we're unnecessarily traumatizing K by making her do something I know she's not comfortable with. He's very insistent that she will appreciate the pictures when she's older. She'll also appreciate some therapy.

Monnie, I'm so sorry you're the target of A's frustration. I know that when K is like that with me, it actually hurts my feelings. Obviously A loves you a ton, but I know how depressing it can be to feel...rejected. In Jan, will she still be in the same daycare--just a reduced schedule? Or will you be home all the time? I have definitely considered switching K's daycare a time or two, but I know I'll probably have frustrations no matter where my kids are. Heck, I'm frustrated with myself for not being able to spend more time with them. I also know how important it is to have the security of knowing if your child is in good hands when you're at work. So I guess the question is about how major or minor you think the issue is? If you think she's learning to kick/hit/bite/etc. there and they just turn a blind eye, that would be a big issue. But if you feel like this is just isolated to A and her frustration with not seeing you as much, then maybe it's worth it to continue going and seeing if it improves once your schedule changes.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, NEL. Things will calm down in January and I'm trying to find a part time daycare situation for her instead.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hugs Monnie. TBH, Ethan went through that phase for a while too. He wanted NOTHING to do with me and was always about Daddy. One night after I was able to put dinner in the oven, I ran upstairs and asked if we could play together. Kind of made a big production of how much I wanted to hang out. After that he's attitude to me feels like it's changed. Hitting can just be her unable to express herself, but definitely both of you need to take a hard line to stop the hitting and pushing if that's going to be a boundary. We did the same for Ethan. If he hit/pushed any of us, all done and he went in a timeout.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Monarch, I'm sorry A is acting out a little bit towards you. Ev went through a phase several months ago where he thought it was funny to hit or kick me. We finally got through to him that was not acceptable. But then out of the blue this week, we got an "Opportunity to Improve" report at school because he apparently was hitting a friend for no reason during arts and crafts, and then when they put him in time out, he came out and did it again and thought it was funny. It's so frustrating to me because he has been so good at home and it's been months since he's hit DH or me. It's hard for us to do anything about the behavior when we are not there to see it. We talked to him about how it is not acceptable to hit or kick anyone, and I asked him what he would not be doing today at school, and he said, "No hitting. No biting." Um, you better not be biting anyone, little man! Anyway, all of that is to say, that I love our daycare, but he is still apparently going through a hitting phase. Hoping it is temporary.

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
My son also went through a phase where whoever picked him up from daycare was the best (DH) and I was chopped liver. No hugs. Just hits/punching/etc.

For us it really had nothing to do with daycare, but with my son's frustration level - he was having issues with language and was tired etc and the easiest person to take it out on was of course, mummy. It really hurt my feelings but he turned a corner a few weeks later.

So Monarch - maybe consider that the reason A is turning on you is because she knows your love is unconditional and you will still be there. She is so 100% comfortable with you that she can be her worst self.

So good job momma!! ;-)

PS and make sure your DH gets involved with the discipline when A hits you. Especially if he is currently the fave!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much everyone for your responses and for sharing your experiences with this! I feel a lot better, it was so helpful to read what you guys had to say. I had a feeling this "phase" might come at some point but was hopeful maybe it wouldn't. My husband is very supportive and we are really committed to making sure Alex knows we are a team and that we're going to react the exact same way when she acts out, so that has not been a problem at all, thankfully. You ladies are the best, thanks again for your support. I know the situation will improve over time. We went to her Christmas party last night and she had a great time, I think she loved that we were all together as a family because we haven't had a lot of time to do fun family things lately. I'm planning to spend a lot of QT with her this weekend, so I think that will help as well.

:wavey:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh monarch. I'm sorry about all that. I haven't got anything in the way of advice that hasn't already been mentioned, I just wanted to offer my support and a few virtual hugs!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DandiAndi|1419133620|3805103 said:
Oh monarch. I'm sorry about all that. I haven't got anything in the way of advice that hasn't already been mentioned, I just wanted to offer my support and a few virtual hugs!

Thank you, Dandi! I'll take any kind of hug I can get! :lol: I appreciate your offering of support as well. She was really great today, but of course it's Saturday and we all got to hang out together quite a bit. I took her shopping with me this evening and she made it through three stores and the grocery with no problems. I was more relaxed and I think that might have more to do with it than the time spent away from me/us, honestly. I think I forgot that kids can detect stress and negativity in an adult (especially a parent) very easily and I am going to do my best to leave my "stuff" at the door when I get home and when I'm rushing around in the morning before we leave the house I need to just be more calm or something. I spend a lot of time each night prepping for the next day so mornings go smoothly, but I am kind of high-strung/anxious and I think she's feeding off that a bit. Kids really are little mirrors that reflect all your flaws right back at you!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Monnie, sorry A has been difficult lately. I think you are right about taking a more relaxed attitude. My DH is often the one K won't go to and it can be very frustrating for him. We keep thinking she's going to outgow the Mommy only phase, but she hasn't. It's not easy being rejected by your child. I have heard 3 is a tough year though.

LC, adorable pic of you and Ethan with Santa.

NEL, sorry your santa pictures didn't turn out as planned. Your girls are just gorgeous. They really resemble each other.

Dandi and AMC, cute pics of your boys hanging out!

AFM, K saw Santa before Thanksgiving - no lines! She was totally fine with it partly because I told her Santa would give her a poppy (lollipop). She has the lollipop in her hand in the picture. She is excited about Christmas and our tree. She also says presents when we ask what she wants from Santa. And, when you press for more details on the presents - she says 2! Sometimes, she will say vacuum or cars/trucks also. So, we know what she's getting for Christmas! She has her 2nd cold since starting pre-school. Any advice on how to avoid a really red upper lip from all the Kleenex rubbing on her? I started putting vaseline on today.

20141223_102704.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Merry Christmas mummies, I hope you and your beautiful families had a wonderful day! I'm just baking a lemon meringue pie for get-together #3 of 4 tonight ::) Oscar was beside himself with exhaustion after Christmas lunch yesterday, had a nap and was up until 9:30pm (!!!). He's asleep now and we are heading back to my parent's place for dinner tonight (my brother's birthday) and then lunch with DH's family tomorrow. I am never eating again!

Actually... :bigsmile:

hotcrossbun.png

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, and a couple of token Oscar pictures in his choices of festive headwear.

_25552.jpg

_25553.jpg

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Dandi, Oscar is adorable as always! Love his hat fascination. K loves hats too.

AFU, how old are they when they can wipe their own noses? K has had a runny nose for a week, and I'm getting tired of wiping it! Hope all is well with all the mommas and toddlers out there!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.5? 3 for sure. She wipes it, but blowing is a bit of a mystery still. She tries, but ends up blowing raspberries when she blows out her lips instead. Lol.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1419846779|3809017 said:
2.5? 3 for sure. She wipes it, but blowing is a bit of a mystery still. She tries, but ends up blowing raspberries when she blows out her lips instead. Lol.

Agreed, Katie likes to wipe her own nose. And she sometimes successfully blows, but not always. And it's not like you can make them do it.

I don't have any good Christmas pics uploaded on this computer, but Christmas with the girls was so much fun!! Katie was very shy about going into the family room to see her gifts--I think she was scared that Santa was still in the room. But she got over it fairly quickly and then was excited about gifts. It was the first year we've actually stayed at our house (we usually fly to my parents' house in the midwest) and I have to admit that it was really nice and relaxed.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying to teach K. She's 2 years and 2 months today. She's definitely not ready to blow her nose yet, but she did wipe her nose a few times! I do get her to bring me the tissues now though.

AFU, Christmas was so much fun. K talked about Santa and presents the night before Christmas, but woke up and totally forgot. We walked right past the Christmas tree and presents while she was focused on fruit for breakfast. I think her favorite gift is the vacuum cleaner or the fishing poles with fish http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZPHZY/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1419865671&sr=1&keywords=fishing+poles that she bopped herself in the nose with and has a scab on her nose now. Also, she is getting picky about clothes, but if we tell her they are from Grandma or Dadi/Dadi (Indian paternal grandparents), she will wear them and not want to take them off at night! So, now everything is from the grandparents that we want her to wear.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild said:

Same here. B will wipe his nose but if you try to get him to blow it he blows out his mouth.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Had to share my new favorite photo of K making gingerbread cookies today.

img_6525.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
JGator|1419889922|3809272 said:
Had to share my new favorite photo of K making gingerbread cookies today.

Precious!!!! :love: The boys love helping me make cookies, cook and clean. lol

I just had to pop in and say. . .

aww, I love all the Santa/Hanukkah!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: so much fun to see these :love: :love:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JG, she's gorgeous! Love the latest photo so much. Wish I could find you on FB! :wavey:

Alex asks to blow her nose but just sucks it in instead. She likes to wipe, for sure, but she doesn't yet understand the concept of blowing. Funny, because she totally gets the concept of pushing out of another orifice. LOL.

:dance: :sick:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh JGator, my goodness she is beautiful!!! :love:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
JGator, what a cool picture! She is so so pretty.

We survived the holidays. B was so off of his normal schedule but did pretty well. Of course, he came down with an ear infection and the flu two days before we were to leave town. He managed to go over both fairly quickly, thank goodness. He had a great time at the beach. The first day he was hesitant and didn't even want to touch the sand. By day two he was running in the waves. He is still talking about the ocean.

image-2483915111.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock
One more-

image-3900716017.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results