carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monkeyprincess|1371046580|3464139 said:
Pretty quiet around here. Hope everyone is doing well!

We took Ev to see a plastic surgeon yesterday, and we liked him better than the other surgeon who was scheduled to do the surgery next week and feel more confident he will do a good job of removing Ev's dermoid cyst and leaving a minimal scar, but now we have to push the surgery out a few more months. I hate having it hang over my head, and I wish could just have it behind us. I think Ev's top front teeth are about to come down. He has been a lot more irritable the past few days, so I'm guessing that is the cause. Poor little thing. Are any of you feeding your babies solids other than purees? What did you start with and when? Ev seems so interested in watching us eat, so it seems like he should be ready to want to try more things, but I'm a little nervous about it.

Here's a recent pic of the little guy.

MP - He is gorgeous!! What a nice photo. He looks so happy and perfect. Ahh, I love babies. Let's see. I wanted to respond to your post about food! How old is Ev? My pedi recommend that we start feeding S whatever we are eating, just cut into small enough pieces, at age 6 months (excepting honey . . . I think that's the only exception unless I'm forgetting something.) He advised to stop purees at that point. We followed his advice. She didn't always like what we were eating, so I'm sure we supplemented with things that we knew she did like (avocado, apple sauce, sweet potato, banana were always enjoyed in the early days and still are!)

I really liked this book and always recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Baby-Food-Ruth-Yaron/dp/0965260313

AMC - B is so cute!! I love his hair. Amazing comparison photo with his G-pa! I love stuff like that. For driving, maybe try driving overnight when kiddo is asleep? I know, no fun for the parents, but that's what I've seen other parents recommend. I personally can't handle an 8 hour drive myself, so don't know what I would do! Too funny that you referred to him as a 10 mo old trapped in an 18 mo old body! I think re-directing is all you can do at this age. Sounds like you have your hands full!! :bigsmile:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1371147638|3465130 said:
AMC - B is so cute!! I love his hair. Amazing comparison photo with his G-pa! I love stuff like that. For driving, maybe try driving overnight when kiddo is asleep? I know, no fun for the parents, but that's what I've seen other parents recommend. I personally can't handle an 8 hour drive myself, so don't know what I would do! Too funny that you referred to him as a 10 mo old trapped in an 18 mo old body! I think re-directing is all you can do at this age. Sounds like you have your hands full!! :bigsmile:

Thanks...his hair is insane. I love how thick it is...but a little annoying that it's $20 to get it cut! We are already 4 cuts in. Man, I hope if we have a girl she has the same hair...it would be shoulder length by now!

I think most of the driving problem will be solved when we (gasp) turn him FF at 1. So we aren't planning any more trips until after that point. We definitely have our hands full. It's exhausting "playing" with him. The other babies in his day care class just sit in one spot and play nicely with toys. Definitely not B. Again, that will improve with time as well. As soon as he's walking (any day now!) he will get moved to the next classroom with older, bigger kids...who are equally wild. So that should help him burn some energy without being a bully to the other kids.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1371148248|3465136 said:

Thanks...his hair is insane. I love how thick it is...but a little annoying that it's $20 to get it cut! We are already 4 cuts in. Man, I hope if we have a girl she has the same hair...it would be shoulder length by now!

I think most of the driving problem will be solved when we (gasp) turn him FF at 1. So we aren't planning any more trips until after that point. We definitely have our hands full. It's exhausting "playing" with him. The other babies in his day care class just sit in one spot and play nicely with toys. Definitely not B. Again, that will improve with time as well. As soon as he's walking (any day now!) he will get moved to the next classroom with older, bigger kids...who are equally wild. So that should help him burn some energy without being a bully to the other kids.

Oh my gosh, that's insane to the 4 hair cuts already, and yes, it is annoying to pay that much for a kid cut isn't it? But, he's totally stylin'!

Oh, I can't wait to hear how things change once he starts walking! Did you ever change daycares? I remember you posted that you were considering switching early on. Can't believe he's 10 mos already! So much fun!!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
MP - He is gorgeous!! What a nice photo. He looks so happy and perfect. Ahh, I love babies. Let's see. I wanted to respond to your post about food! How old is Ev? My pedi recommend that we start feeding S whatever we are eating, just cut into small enough pieces, at age 6 months (excepting honey . . . I think that's the only exception unless I'm forgetting something.) He advised to stop purees at that point. We followed his advice. She didn't always like what we were eating, so I'm sure we supplemented with things that we knew she did like (avocado, apple sauce, sweet potato, banana were always enjoyed in the early days and still are!)

I really liked this book and always recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Baby-Food-Ruth-Yaron/dp/0965260313

Ah, thanks LV. He really is a happy kid and brings so much joy to our lives. And thanks for the baby food advice. Ev turned 8 months today (which is so crazy to me!), and he didn't start any purees until 6 months. He'll eat them, but he never wants more than an ounce or two before he clamps his mouth shut. I think I'm going totry mashing up some avocado, sweet potatoes, and/or bananas for him this weekend rather than pureeing them like I usually do, to see how he does with that, and then maybe I'll be brave enough to let him try other stuff. He watches us so carefully when we eat. I almost feel bad for him! I'm just terrified of him choking or something, and DH is worse than I am!

amc, I also LOVE B's hair. It's quite something. And those lips! I'm jealous :) It sounds like you really have your hands full with that little guy. It's so funny to me how passive Ev is compared to that, and they are only two months apart. Ev is content to roll around on the ground to get where he wants to go and barely ever tries to crawl, let alone stand or walk. Sounds like I better enjoy this next little while before he is on the go.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monkeyprincess|1371151398|3465189 said:

Ah, thanks LV. He really is a happy kid and brings so much joy to our lives. And thanks for the baby food advice. Ev turned 8 months today (which is so crazy to me!), and he didn't start any purees until 6 months. He'll eat them, but he never wants more than an ounce or two before he clamps his mouth shut. I think I'm going totry mashing up some avocado, sweet potatoes, and/or bananas for him this weekend rather than pureeing them like I usually do, to see how he does with that, and then maybe I'll be brave enough to let him try other stuff. He watches us so carefully when we eat. I almost feel bad for him! I'm just terrified of him choking or something, and DH is worse than I am!

Yeah, I was really shocked by what my pedi told me at the time. He had us trying purees at 4 mos, but it was just really a taste at that point. Took her a bit longer to take purees. I was really nervous too. I'm sure I cut everything up really really really small. Plus, we eat a lot of soft-ish things -- hummus, pasta. I think she had hummus and falafel for her first real food meal the day of that apptmt. For the record, I was really nervous about her first foods (even purees), but my DH was not, so I totally understand the nervousness aspect!

I will take a look at my super baby foods book and will let you know if I have anything else interesting or reassuring to report.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1371149346|3465164 said:
Oh my gosh, that's insane to the 4 hair cuts already, and yes, it is annoying to pay that much for a kid cut isn't it? But, he's totally stylin'!

Oh, I can't wait to hear how things change once he starts walking! Did you ever change daycares? I remember you posted that you were considering switching early on. Can't believe he's 10 mos already! So much fun!!

It's funny, he has a whole morning routing....get dressed, sit on bathroom counter, style and gel the hair, brush teeth, etc. Then I get to day care and the other kids barely have hair...ha...I wonder how many in the under 1 crowd have to worry about hair gel...

Yes, we did switch! Back in January. We LOVE the new place. The teachers are very hands on and are always down playing with the kids. The room is huge and there are tons of toys, so the kids have lots of room to explore. Plus there's a camera so I can go online and see what he's doing :)

monkeyprincess said:
amc, I also LOVE B's hair. It's quite something. And those lips! I'm jealous :) It sounds like you really have your hands full with that little guy. It's so funny to me how passive Ev is compared to that, and they are only two months apart. Ev is content to roll around on the ground to get where he wants to go and barely ever tries to crawl, let alone stand or walk. Sounds like I better enjoy this next little while before he is on the go.

Thanks! I'm not gonna lie, he's pretty cute...ha! And yes, please PLEASE cherish the calm moments. It is definitely in B's nature to be wild....even when I was pregnant he was kicking and moving nonstop. And B started standing before he was ever crawling. There's just so much to explore...why be limited to staying in one spot?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!! :wavey:

Happy Friday!! Its been awhile since I've checked in. Glad to see that you are all doing well!! I am loving all of these pics!! Such cuties we have here on PS!!!

AMC, Your little man is soooo cute!!! I think my little guy is similar to B in that he is into EVERYTHING!!!! We call him Bam-Bam because he is so darn rough!! He's constantly banging on things (us), trying to stand while holding onto something, almost ready to crawl, sitting up, log rolling across the floor...Its crazy the development! His favorite thing though (still) is his doorway jumper. Does B have one? Because he is such an active kid like L, I really think he would love it! My boy just goes nuts in that thing!!

MP, Ev is adorable!!! Gosh, he is a little man!!!! As far as food, dont feel bad, L is not the best eater either. He really isnt into the purees, so I have been giving him some real food too lately. Try some regular Cheerios (L loves them). If it makes you nervous, drop some water onto them to make them a little more mushy in his mouth. Also, I give L little pieces of Fig Newtons (I break them up) and he loves that too. He also clamps his mouth shut with the purees after 3-4 spoonfuls. Cant blame him though- have you tasted the stuff? YUCK! He has an appt with the ped next wk, and I know she'll probably say that I am not giving him enough food at this point (I only give him about 1-2 "meals" per day, in addition to bf every 3-4 hrs. I am sure she is going to want us to start giving him chicken and other meat now, etc., so Im thinking of just breaking out my food mill (which I've never used, lol) and just putting whatever we are eating in there and give it to him. I'm hoping he will take to that better than the purees!!!

How's everything else doing? We are just enjoying our little man to bits- its amazing to see his development day-to-day. He is constantly babbling now- he is so loud!! His 2 lower teeth have come completely in, and he is working on the top 2. In general, he is very happy and sociable, but he is still not sleeping that great. In general, he is still up 1-2 times per night. Its exhausting, but Im lucky that MH has been helping out with this. All of my friends/family say that I need to sleep train him, but its so hard for us to hear him cry!! Especially because sometimes I believe he is really waking up because he is very hungry, and I really cant blame him for that since he is still mostly bf'ing and that stuff is like water and he's a big boy!!!

I hope you all have a great weekend!! :))

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Dani said:
AMC, Your little man is soooo cute!!! I think my little guy is similar to B in that he is into EVERYTHING!!!! We call him Bam-Bam because he is so darn rough!! He's constantly banging on things (us), trying to stand while holding onto something, almost ready to crawl, sitting up, log rolling across the floor...Its crazy the development! His favorite thing though (still) is his doorway jumper. Does B have one? Because he is such an active kid like L, I really think he would love it! My boy just goes nuts in that thing!!

Bam-bam, that's great and perfect! He loves banging as well...everything against everything else. He has a doorway jumper, excersaucer, and jumperoo. He's technically outgrown all three based on height and weight, although we still use the excersaucer (I have to have some way to contain him while I get ready in the morning!). He LOVES jumping and I think that's why his legs are so strong- he would jump for like an hour straight at day care.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
BTW- We've been talking about enrolling B in Gymboree or something similar once he can walk. I figure it will get some energy out and help with coordination and such. I just did some research and there's a local gymnastics place that offers tot classes (walking to age 3)....the classes are longer and it's less expensive than Gymboree. So to anyone who has been thinking about doing something similar I'd suggest looking at gymnastics studios!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Dani, ha ha, it sounds like our little guys are very similar developmentally right now, well except Ev has no interest in crawling for some reason. But he has two teeth and working on the top two, and he loves standing and rolling across a room and banging on anything or everything. We have to be careful what we give him to play with so he does hurt himself or us! DH vetoed the doorway jumper, so Ev has to stick to the exersaucer and jumperoo, but he also loves to jump. I put him in there when I need a good laugh because it is the funniest thing in the world to watch. I'm going to be more aggressive about letting him try foods because I also think our pediatrician will not be impressed with how little he eats, although everything I read says that milk or formula should still be their primary source of nutrition until one and food is just practice at this point.

amc, Ev is also crazy curious about everything and constantly kicking and squirming and getting into everything in reach, he just hasn't figure out that he has the power to get to things out of reach! I fear we are in big trouble when he makes that connection. Our cats are also in trouble because the boy is obsessed and watches their every move. Anyway, gymnastics sounds like a great idea for B. Ha ha, he is going to keep you busy that one!

Hope everyone else is doing well and just too busy to participate right now. I was thinking there are a lot of people who haven't posted in awhile including Buttons and Haven. Hope your boys are doing great, ladies!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for all the posts...I've got a bit of an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with! B is starting to attempt to climb out of his crib. He loves climbing anything. Last night in the bathtub he almost took a header out onto the tile when he stood up and bent over the side of the tub. So now I'm afraid he's going to combine the two and take a header out of his crib. We moved his little Baby Einstein Aquarium after we saw him standing on it to get out...but he's strong and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he figures something out. Any ideas? I've consulted Dr. Google and he says a child under 2 should be put in a sleep sack; over 2 should be moved to a bed. B is a stomach sleeper so I don't like the idea of him in a sack.

ETA- I've been reading more and apparently you are supposed to stop using the crib when the side rail is equal to or less than 3/4 of the height of the child. I need to measure. Something else said when the rail is at the kid's armpit level...and I'm pretty sure we are there. I would just put on a tent but then there's the whole strangulation issue.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
AMC, I know my friends have all used the tent with good success. I don't know, but I'm sure it's something I will have to think about soon.

MP, can I ask ( and I don't mean to sound rude)...why does your DH veto the doorway jumper? It is definitely safe and I think Ev would love it! L loves it so...it will be a sad, sad day when he won't be able to use it anymore!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Dani, somebody gave us one as a gift, and DH got online and read some articles about how they pose safety risks and stationary activity centers and jumperoos are safer, so we returned it to the store. I think it was in consumer reports or something. As with anything, I'm sure they are safe depending on how they are used, but DH wasn't comfortable with using it, and we do not have any really wide doorways in our house anyway.

amc, I hope you find a solution that works for you. Maybe if you ask some of the moms of older babies, they will have some ideas for you.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
AMC Is your crib the style that the back is taller than the front? Maybe you can flip the crib around so the higher side faces out. It'll probably look weird but it should hopefully contain him for a little while. Ethan still sleeps in his crib and he's past armpit level for the crib sides. But so far he hasn't shown any interest in trying to climb out.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
lliang_chi|1371242875|3465994 said:
AMC Is your crib the style that the back is taller than the front? Maybe you can flip the crib around so the higher side faces out. It'll probably look weird but it should hopefully contain him for a little while. Ethan still sleeps in his crib and he's past armpit level for the crib sides. But so far he hasn't shown any interest in trying to climb out.

That is a GREAT idea! It will look weird, but as long as he stays inside I'm fine with it. Thank you!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
AMC, I have a friend with twins who are 2 years old and still in their cribs. She took the thing that holds the mattress up out of the cribs and put the mattress on the floor to make it harder for the twins to climb out. She did that because she heard the tents were not safe.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, ladies! Long time, no post. Thought I would pop in to say hello and to represent the new-mama crowd. :bigsmile:

I looove all the pictures of the gorgeous baby boys! Seriously good looking little men! And amc, your LO kind of reminds me of a mini-James Dean with his dreamy hair.

Fisher, I love that picture of Callie! She is just precious. So sweet and delicate. Hope all continues to go well for you.

I haven't posted for the last few weeks, because as you know, the first month of parenthood was HARD! Em is now a few days shy of 6 weeks though, and we are doing swimmingly. She continues to gain weight like a champ, is getting a bit more predictable, and is a generally happy baby girl. Still looking for a meal every 3 hours or so, but every now and then I get a 4-hour stretch out of her, which is lovely. And man, oh man... DH and I are LOVING her smiles and giggles!!! To-die-for cute!!! I swear, every day I fall more and more in love with her.

Thanks to those of you who chimed in re: pumping. I'm pumping once a day so that DH can give her a bottle every night, and that is working well. She took to the bottle very easily. I think she's like me and will never turn down a meal. :bigsmile: Anyway - him taking a feeding before he goes to bed for the night is a sanity-saver for me and allows me to get some extra shut-eye before I take over for the rest of the night. And DH loves it!! He is such a good Dad. And he is getting much better at recognizing when I am in desperate need of some me-time.

I'm going to try to bring Em over to her daycare provider this week so they can meet. The thought of going back to work and leaving her with someone else - no matter how comfortable I feel with them - just breaks my heart. I know many of you have been through it. Ugh. Not sure I could see myself as a SAHM, but right now, I just can't imagine I'm ever going to be completely fulfilled working full-time, either. I'm going to give it time to see how life plays out. I feel like it's way too early for me to know what will be right.

One question... I am hoping to get back into a more regular workout routine as soon as my doctor clears me (which should be this Wednesday). How did you guys do it?? Were you able to commit to a time every day (or every other or whatever), or did you just sort of fit it in when you got a chance? I don't even shower every day yet, so... the idea that I'm going to be able to workout regularly sort of seems like a lofty goal.

Here's a picture I took of Em yesterday. It's my current favorite photo of my favorite girl.

lift_that_head_.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Curly, Em's super cute! Love her cheeks! Yes, the whole going back to work thing is heartbreaking and really hard at first. But it does get so much easier. I found the idea of it beforehand was worse than the reality of it. And trusting the people caring for your child is essential. I'm still struggling to find a way to fit a workout in on a regular basis. I leave for work before 8 and don't get home until after 6, and so I try to soak up as much time with Ev as possible in the morning and evening. It's easier now that is nice outside because I can just pop Ev in the stroller after work, but I do miss my old workouts and really do need to find a way to make it part of my routine. Hopefully somebody who has been more successful will chime in with tips!

JGator, how are you and K doing?

amc, did you try changing up the crib this weekend? I hope you find a solution. I think we're a longs way off from having to worry about those thing, thank goodness, but I'm sure it's stressful having to worry about it so early! You've got a daredevil on your hands it seems.

AFM, I'm home today with Ev because he's had yucky diarrhea since yesterday morning. He sees happy and healthy otherwise, but the diapers have been absolutely foul and I knew they would send him home after a couple of them. Trying to figure out if he reacted to baby food, but I can't imagine what it would have been since he didn't have anything new. He's gotten quite, um, handsy during diaper changes, and I'm worried he somehow got his hand in a dirty diaper and got it in his mouth before I had a chance to wash his hands. Anybody else with little boys have this problem? It's hard to keep his legs up and keep both hands away from his nether regions and now that the diapers are a runny mess, it's even worse. Yuck!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
CurlySue- I wasn't able to work out for about 6 months after B was born, due to bladder control issues. Now that those are (mostly) solved, I run 5 times a week or so. I am lucky to have a gym at work. I go at the end of the day (the last hour of the work day) so that I don't have to change back to my work clothes.

When I'm not at work I use my jogging stroller, which I really recommend. B likes looking around and would fall asleep after the first mile. We purposely got a travel system that came with a jogging stroller.

monkeyprincess said:
amc, did you try changing up the crib this weekend? I hope you find a solution. I think we're a longs way off from having to worry about those thing, thank goodness, but I'm sure it's stressful having to worry about it so early! You've got a daredevil on your hands it seems.

I think so. I contacted the manufacturer and they said the height limit is 35", and after that time the bed should be converted to a toddler bed. I don't think we will be ready for that when B hits that height (which will probably be right after his 1st bday)....a few mamas on here have suggested putting the mattress on the floor inside the crib, assuming it fits right, so I think we will try that.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
MP, your work day sounds like mine - LONG! I have a 30 mile one-way commute, so that makes things more complicated. So I anticipate being like you - trying to get as much time as possible with Em, especially after work. I wonder if there is any way I'll be able to fit it in before work, though that might make for a ridiculously long day! I guess I'll just need to see what our routine ends up being.

Is Ev doing any better today? I have to be honest - your "handsy" comment made me laugh. Em tends to be pretty spazzy during our daytime diaper changes and I've ended up finding poo on her feet. Pretty gross since both DH and I love to kiss her feet. I still can't figure out how I miss stuff like that when it happens.

amc, I am impressed you get in 5 workouts a week! I rarely did that before I was pregnant, so kudos to you! We were contemplating a jogging stroller but decided to wait. I need to get back into shape and demonstrate I can commit to running again before we drop more cash on another stroller. But then I feel like I might need a jogging stroller to actually be committed to running. Such a conundrum. :cheeky: Do you have a BOB or another brand?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
CurlySue|1371568126|3468034 said:
amc, I am impressed you get in 5 workouts a week! I rarely did that before I was pregnant, so kudos to you! We were contemplating a jogging stroller but decided to wait. I need to get back into shape and demonstrate I can commit to running again before we drop more cash on another stroller. But then I feel like I might need a jogging stroller to actually be committed to running. Such a conundrum. :cheeky: Do you have a BOB or another brand?

Well if I had more self-control with my diet then I wouldn't have to work out so much :) We have a cruise in November and I want to be back to my pre-baby, pre-husband weight. Plus that's when we will start TTC again (sigh) and I want all of the extra weight gone by then. We have a Baby Trend Expedition. I really like it. It's a jogger but isn't huge. It maneuvers really well and can turn on a dime.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Curly, Em is adorable. I love her cheeks.

MP, we are doing okay. Sleep has been an issue lately. K has been pretty fussy and pushing bottles away at night which makes it impossible to get her to go to sleep. It takes over an hour every night, and I end up having to trick her into taking the bottle and then she wakes up repeatedly (every 2 hours or so) during the night. We are not feeding her when she wakes up unless it's been at least 5 hours since the last bottle. I don't know if she's teething or what. I miss the old days when she would sleep through the night.

AFU, K is 7 1/2 months old now. We are buying a house so I've been MIA from PS for that reason. Our offer was just accepted today. We took K to the pediatrician on Friday as she had dried blood in her ear and found out that the inside is fine so she must have scratched herself. Last night, while I was trying to feed her a bottle, she repeatedly pulled on her ear and had her fingers inside so I'm sure now it was her own scratching that caused the blood. K has not been herself lately. I think maybe it's teething or stomach/gas pain. I stopped taking Reglan after 90 days so my supply of breast milk has gone down significantly so it could be more formula is causing her some discomfort. I just hope it ends soon as we are getting no sleep. Nightly, going to bed is a battle. She cries and squirms when I try to feed her the bottle - one day I had to quickly swap out the bottle for the pacifier to trick her. Other days, I just keep trying and eventually she will keep the bottle in her mouth. She has been having major scream fests though. Absolutely no fun for us. K still has no teeth even though she has been teething since she was 3 months old. She isn't rolling over either and hates tummy time. I am beginning to wonder if she'll walk before rolling over. She did start saying Da-Da on Fathers Day though so that was nice! Hoping she is just going through a phase that will end soon though on the eating and crying and sleeping!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
JGator|1371573195|3468087 said:
AFU, K is 7 1/2 months old now. We are buying a house so I've been MIA from PS for that reason. Our offer was just accepted today. We took K to the pediatrician on Friday as she had dried blood in her ear and found out that the inside is fine so she must have scratched herself. Last night, while I was trying to feed her a bottle, she repeatedly pulled on her ear and had her fingers inside so I'm sure now it was her own scratching that caused the blood. K has not been herself lately. I think maybe it's teething or stomach/gas pain. I stopped taking Reglan after 90 days so my supply of breast milk has gone down significantly so it could be more formula is causing her some discomfort. I just hope it ends soon as we are getting no sleep. Nightly, going to bed is a battle. She cries and squirms when I try to feed her the bottle - one day I had to quickly swap out the bottle for the pacifier to trick her. Other days, I just keep trying and eventually she will keep the bottle in her mouth. She has been having major scream fests though. Absolutely no fun for us. K still has no teeth even though she has been teething since she was 3 months old. She isn't rolling over either and hates tummy time. I am beginning to wonder if she'll walk before rolling over. She did start saying Da-Da on Fathers Day though so that was nice! Hoping she is just going through a phase that will end soon though on the eating and crying and sleeping!

What type of formula is she on?

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Curly, my husband works out in the morning usually, and it works well for him. Maybe that will work for you? I'm usually too tired to get up much earlier than the baby (he wakes up at like 5:30 or 6, and then I have to take care of him and get ready for work). Yucko on the dirty feet. Babies really desensitize you to so many bodily functions and gross things, don't they?

JGator, congrats on the new house! Sorry K has been having sleeping trouble. That must be miserable. Ev is getting his top two teeth right now, and he has been doing a lot of the things you're talking about - fussy, pulling his ears, refusing bottles, drooling, etc., so it sounds like K might be going through that too??? That's crazy she doesn't have any teeth yet if she has really been teething that long. Does she have any acid reflux issues? I only ask because my niece (who is now 10), apparently had really bad acid reflux, and they pretty much had to force feed her bottles, but she would only take an ounce or two at a time (and weighed like 15 pounds at a year old). I'm sure your doctor has looked into that already though. Are he diapers yucky? Before we switched Ev to Nutramigen, his diapers were awful, and that's how we knew his formula didn't agree with him. How cute that she timed her first "dada" so perfectly! So sweet. It was funny because Ev normally says "dada" way more often than "mama," but on Fathers Day, he kept saying "mama mama" all day. Oh, and Ev is pretty slow on the gross motor skill thing too. Glad I'm not the only one. He can roll both ways fairly well now (finally!), but he will not stay on his tummy for more than a few seconds before rolling over, so he gets very little tummy time, and he has zero interest in crawling or getting up on his hands and knees.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
K still has no teeth even though she has been teething since she was 3 months old.

Oh I forgot to comment on this. How do you know she was teething? B started drooling like crazy and chewing on everything around 3-4 months. We asked his doctor at the 4 month appointment....who said that some babies are just droolers and chewers and it isn't connected to teething. He finally popped a tooth at 6.5 months. And he is STILL drooling like crazy- he always has to wear a bib.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1371575735|3468120 said:
K still has no teeth even though she has been teething since she was 3 months old.

Oh I forgot to comment on this. How do you know she was teething? B started drooling like crazy and chewing on everything around 3-4 months. We asked his doctor at the 4 month appointment....who said that some babies are just droolers and chewers and it isn't connected to teething. He finally popped a tooth at 6.5 months. And he is STILL drooling like crazy- he always has to wear a bib.

Same for us! Everybody kept saying, oh, he must be teething because he constantly put things in his mouth and drooled, but the actual discomfort from the teething process didn't take that long at all. He has been more uncomfortable with these top teeth that are just breaking through than he was with the bottom teeth.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
AMC, she's on regular Similac. Also, the doctor told us when she was 3 months by looking in her mouth. She said her gums were swollen and also due to the symptoms she had at the time which I can't remember. We thought she had an ear infection, I do remember that.

MP, her diapers are pretty normal. She was a little constipated last week for 2 days though. K was diagnosed with reflux around 3 months, and we stopped her Zantac about 3 weeks ago. The doctor said to wean her off as babies at this age usually outgrow the reflux. Maybe we should see if giving the Zantac to her again helps her fussiness. We'll try anything!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Well that's crazy! Hopefully she will pop some teeth soon and feel better. Have you considered switching to a sensitive formula? B was on a normal one and we switched to Similac Sensitive and it made a huge difference.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, this thread has moved very quickly in the past several days! I love the new photos of all the babies.

amc, B is so very cute and looks so much older than he is. The comparison photo with his grandpa is awesome! And the fact that you style and gel his hair in the morning is hilarious!! L falls into the camp of barely having hair. I'm still waiting for it to be long enough that I can slap a bow in it. Glad that you have a solution for now for B trying to break out of his crib. Hope it will work for a while!

curlysue, Em is absolutely adorable!! It's great to hear how well things are going with eating and that she took the bottle without any issue. The first month IS hard, but once you get those smiles and giggles, it's just the best feeling and things only get easier with time. I unfortunately have no good advice about working out... I managed to hit the gym a few times before I had to return to work, but literally haven't gone since... and that was in January! So now that the weather is nice, I try to make it a point of going on a walk in the evening with the baby during the week and several times over the weekend. We do have a jogging stroller (Bumbleride Indie), but I have yet to use it as such :lol:

MP, how is Ev feeling today? Hopefully his diarrhea issue has gone away. I've recently mastered the block with one arm and putting the diaper cream and diaper on enough to cover L's lady parts with my other hand during a diaper change because L likes to put her hand down there... So maybe it's not just a boy thing?

jgator, Congrats on the house! I hope all goes well with that. DH and I are also looking for a house. The housing market where we live is totally insane right now (e.g. we'll arrive at a showing to find out that the seller already has multiple offers and the house was listed a day or two before), so I'm not too hopeful that we're going to get anything soon... which is frustrating. Anyway, glad to hear that there was nothing wrong with K's ear. L will do the same thing--she scratches the inside of her hear and I'll find dried blood in there. That and the scratches on the top of my chest are always a reminder that I need to keep L's nails trimmed!
Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear that K hasn't been herself lately. I hope you can find a solution that will make her more comfortable. As some of the other ladies suggested, maybe try a sensitive brand of formula to see if that might help?

AFU, L popped her first tooth a couple weeks ago and it's really starting to show up now. She's not crawling yet, but she has figured out how she can slide around on her belly on our hardwood floors or just roll to where she wants to go and she also is trying to stand and balance when holding on to one of us if we were holding her in our lap. Nothing new on the eating front... going to try to move to 3 solid meals a day when she turns 8 months in another week or so. We've successfully been putting her to bed a bit earlier at night--so more like 8:30pm is when she drops off to sleep versus 9pm, but I think we'll need to continue to move it earlier. She just seems so exhausted in the evening. Thanks to all of you who gave me tips on that before.

Here's a couple of photos of our girl. One is of her feeding herself which she enjoys doing and the other is one they took at daycare.

lilaeating.jpg

lilaatdaycare.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
jfo, your little one is SO cute! Ha, well, it must not just be a boy thing. I figure it was just because he had something new to, um, grab. It's not usually a problem, but with his tummy issues the past few days, I'm not able to swap out the diaper as fast unfortunately.

JGator, I hope you find something that helps with the feeding and sleeping. That would be really frustrating. My SIL said that my niece just didn't eat much because her acid reflux made eating painful, so that might be something to look into again.

AFU, Ev is still having yucky diapers and is a bit fussier than usual, but other than that he seems fine. The doctor just wants us to give him pedialyte and a probiotic and gave us a list of things to watch for, but otherwise, we are just letting it run its course. He keeps waking up in the morning with blowouts, and I've had to change the sheets and wash his clothes so much the past few days. Just hoping he doesn't get sent home from daycare because DH and I both have busy days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results