carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monkeyprincess|1358804396|3361106 said:
amc80|1358803942|3361098 said:
So, just how much better is the nosefrida than a hospital bulb booger sucker? B is always congested, and the bulb doesn't do much. The idea of the frida grosses me out, but at this point I'm willing to try it.

amc, I was so grossed out by the idea too, but I found the traditional bulbs really ineffective, and I could never even see if I was making progress. The nosefrida really works, and you can see the results. It is a completely disgusting thought, and my husband is completely revolted that I use it (he's never tried it himself), but honestly, the way it is designed, I cannot see how it would ever be possible to suck anything into your mouth. It has really been a lifesaver for us, as Ev is always congested.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get one. Ick.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1358804969|3361116 said:
So, just how much better is the nosefrida than a hospital bulb booger sucker? B is always congested, and the bulb doesn't do much. The idea of the frida grosses me out, but at this point I'm willing to try it.

amc, I was so grossed out by the idea too, but I found the traditional bulbs really ineffective, and I could never even see if I was making progress. The nosefrida really works, and you can see the results. It is a completely disgusting thought, and my husband is completely revolted that I use it (he's never tried it himself), but honestly, the way it is designed, I cannot see how it would ever be possible to suck anything into your mouth. It has really been a lifesaver for us, as Ev is always congested.

You'll get it and wonder how you ever made it through life without one. There is no way for you to suck up the boogers (unless you dismantle it and suck directly from the nostril tube, removing the little bit of foam), so it that's the concern, don't worry about it.

The bulb is awful compared to the Nose Frida. A HATES the Nose Frida, but I can guarantee she prefers to have her nose sucked out within a minute, to the 20 minute charade it would take to get less mucus using the bulb. Not to mention the broken blood vessels! Those were the worst.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, mamas!

Is it ridiculous that I just finished grading the Week 1 assignments for the ONE class I'm teaching this semester, and . . . I feel EXTREMELY accomplished! :cheeky: I have a whopping nine students, so I only had a measly 27 assignments to read. Last semester I had 90 students, so I read 270 assignments after Week 1. Yet here I am proud as a peacock for grading these 27 assignments on time. Insane how having a baby changes things.

I've also managed to shower two days in a row without anyone else home to watch Brienz, and this seems like another big accomplishment to me. :cheeky: I put his Snugamonkey in the bathroom, plopped him in it, and voila! I can SHOWER AT WILL! Amazing.

Clearly, things are moving quite slowly around here. :cheeky: B will be five weeks old tomorrow, and I've probably only felt capable of doing anything other than feed/change/play with him for about a week. We did a lot of hanging out for the first 3+ weeks. He loves being held and doesn't nap well during the day unless he's in someone's arms or being worn, and that's a-okay with me. :love: I love my boy so much, it's insane.

He's smiled at me a few times now, his first smile came at 4:30 AM on 12/17 when I finished changing him. He seems most generous with his smiles after a diaper change, which makes me wonder if he's going to be a clean freak like his daddy. :bigsmile: We do a lot of tummy time, I love the way he pops his eyes wide open, brows raised, when he's holding his head up and looking around. I'm still loving cloth diapering and using a service. I haven't yet left the house other than to go to the doctor, :o but this fact doesn't really bother me. I like being home, and tend to hole up in the winter time anyway. BUT, I still plan to take him out on a short trip to the bookstore or something soon, the prospect of going out with him is still quite daunting.

People keep asking me if he's STTN yet, and I'm all, "Is he supposed to be? Because the answer is NO!" He typically sleeps for one four-hour stretch at night, but then it's two hours at a time the rest of the night. I can't wait for his two-hour stretches to merge into a second four-hour stretch. Two four-hour sleeps at night sound like heaven.

Otherwise, we are just loving on our boy and marveling at how lucky we are over here with our cozy home and our beautiful little family. The furbabies love B, and the kitties are especially fond of all his new toys and various seats and beds. I'm not feeling nearly as exhausted and desperately inept as I did the first weeks home, so that's wonderful. I'm also managing to eat more than a couple bowls of Froot Loops and Cheez Its all day, which I'm guessing is doing wonders for my morale, as well. :cheeky: Nursing suddenly became easier around two weeks, and then much easier somewhere around four weeks. I'm still quite emotional, and I find myself crying quiet tears of joy several times a day. I read On the Night You Were Born to him every night--a guaranteed tear-jerker. But they're all good tears now.

Sorry for this most me-centric post, I am lurking and wondering what a nosefrida is, and I promise I will come back and be more sociable after my next good stretch of sleep. Let's hope that happens very soon!

ETA: It is magical, isn't it? Growing this baby and then meeting him and falling in love and becoming mama? I must admit I never believed it until I met my boy.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1358805682|3361128 said:

You'll get it and wonder how you ever made it through life without one. There is no way for you to suck up the boogers (unless you dismantle it and suck directly from the nostril tube, removing the little bit of foam), so it that's the concern, don't worry about it.

The bulb is awful compared to the Nose Frida. A HATES the Nose Frida, but I can guarantee she prefers to have her nose sucked out within a minute, to the 20 minute charade it would take to get less mucus using the bulb. Not to mention the broken blood vessels! Those were the worst.
I was too lazy to google this before. A device to suck out your kid's boogers with your mouth, huh? LOL

megumic

Brilliant_Rock

You will never regret this decision.

DH used it on me when I had a sinus infection and it worked wonders. Yes, I know super gross, but I figured if I was gonna suck out C's nose, at least I should know the sensation too!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
megumic|1358819250|3361340 said:

You will never regret this decision.

DH used it on me when I had a sinus infection and it worked wonders. Yes, I know super gross, but I figured if I was gonna suck out C's nose, at least I should know the sensation too!

agreed. just get it. and try not to think about what you are doing. Ellie's got a dry stuffy nose, so everyday for he past week I start our day using saline drops, then the nosefreida. does she like it? no. but at least I can tell the boogs are getting out. (i have gagged twice but still worth it.) we have bulbs in every size & non are even close to as effective as the snotsucker :razz:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Nosefrida: Y'know it doesn't even seem that gross. You're never actually SUCKING in snot, you're providing a suction sensation. My MIL has a trachea tube and has to suction her tube twice a day and it's a very similar concept. She has a pump that provides the suction. Anyway, it REALLY works. I use it on Ethan every day and it totally helps clear out his boogies. I do warn him, "OK, I'm going to suck your snot out right now." He HATES it, but then I tell him, "ALL DONE." and he calms down right away. I do it on the changing table, his head on the same side as my dominant hand (Right). With my left hand I hold his chin to keep his head from shaking. Then my right I place the nozzle and suck.

Meg, Hm, I never tried the Nosefrida on myself. Personally I think DH would rather stick his hand in boiling water than be on the sucking end of the snot sucker.

Haven, I'm so glad you're doing great with Br. It really does get much better and you get into a fantastic rhythm once you get used to each other. But do keep an open mind. Babies are growing and discovering so much every day, don't get hard on yourself if one day your "system" falls apart. The key to parenting is adapting. I love hearing about you guys though. It sounds like you guys are discovering more and more about each other every day.

AMC, get on! You'll love it. Especially since you said B gets congested with teething (Ethan does too). Aw, your B looks so adorable with his haircut. WHenever I see them with a haircut they look so much older. I'm determined to not cut Ethan's hair anymore so he can keep the baby look still. Even though he's 11 months...

Monkey, TBH I don't change the filters out every time. I'll try to do it every so often but it doesn't happen each time I use it. I'm sorry you had to work the weekend. Isn't it amazing to watch husbands with the baby? I love seeing J with Ethan. Don't get me wrong, at times I'm SO FRUSTRATED with him. But when I see the two of them hanging out and playing together... Melts my heart. Ethan had really good head control about 3.5 months. We started putting toys under him when he did tummy time and he tolerated that much better. Ev tipping over would be more core/ab muscles. His trunk needs to be strong enough to hold him upright. Try Bumbo or BebePod seats.

Missy, I want to echo how much I admire your strength and grace. You and your DH are amazing parents, and I'm glad you guys are able to talk about adding more love to your hearts. I must admit I teared up hearing about your niece and Blake. I'm glad you heard from him and that you know that he's happy. To share, one of J's friend & coworker died at a few years ago, he was about 30-or-so, so very young. Car accident, hit and run. He was survived by a wife, they were married 10 months. It was/is very tragic. But we were at the wake, and my very good friend C went up to the widow and told her, "I had this dream about your husband. He wanted me to tell you that he's OK, and that he wants you to be happy." It was kind of weird because C didn't know either of them very well. Her fiance at the time was very good friends with the victim, so she was a friend of a friend (much like me). But she was the easiest person for him to reach so he could tell his wife not to worry. Anyway, I'm glad that Blake was able to reach you through your niece.

Lulu, Ellie's beautiful. I'm glad you're doing well. Pumping, in the VERY beginning, I was ONLY pumping because Ethan wouldn't nurse. THen when he was finally nursing, I would pump when someone else was here because inevitably Ethan will start to cry whenever I *just* hooked up to the pump. How's your supply? If you're looking to increase your supply, I'd pump right after you're done feeding her. 6 wk appt, they have you fill out a questionnaire about PPD and also talk to you about birth control methods. Since you're BFing, you need to use progestrone only methods of HBC, or barrier methods.

Monnie, the ILs will be moving end of this month/beginning of next month. We have appts with docs here in Chicago for her mid Feb. But it looks like she might want to push things back a little more so she can meet wiht her doc down in FL. I think they're just scared of the big move even though it temporary.

Pancake, wow, S is doing great! Dont' sweat the return to work too much. Hooray on the new car purchase.

Dandi, yes! that's awesome that O slept through in his "big boy" room! What an awesome little man you have. LOL that you've got quite a tough little guy there.

Buttons, Post pictures! We haven't seen any in forever!

And since I've been complaining to you guys that we need more pics, it's only fair I post some too...

Ethan has been doing better with the sleep plan. But last night was a tough one for DH. He gets frustrated with Ethan. At least he let me take over though. I eventually got him down. But it was already 1 hr 15 mins after he first woke. Oh well, today is another day.

img_3171.jpg

img_493.jpg

img_3437.jpg

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
AMC- I haven't tried the Nose Frida, but we have an electric 'booger getter' (our official name for it :lol: ).You just push a button to turn it on and it sucks the snot out. There is also a button for music to distract them. I used the music at first, but L actually doesn't mind the noise. When I was pregnant and saw them for sale I laughed at the thought. Then my baby got sick and the hospital bulb was crap, so I ran to the store and bought it.

Buttons

Shiny_Rock
I've never seen one of those snot-suckers IRL! I have seen the bulb things but we don't have one... wondering now am I missing something that I've not yet noticed a need for one?!?

PetitePoire great to see you posting! How are you guys doing?!?

Lliang you post the most amazing photos, B is adorable :love: :love: :love: Glad to hear the sleep plan is on course and hope you start to see results really soon!

Haven you are getting more done than I do most days and my baby is 16 weeks - I bow down in awe of you! And yay for Brienz doing a four hour stretch regularly, seriously that is awesome. That book you mentioned sounds beautiful so I emailed DH last night as he is planning an Amazon order soon and I want to get it for T :) Brienz looks like he's thriving! That is a fantastic teddy bear he has there :) And YES, it IS magical :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

monkey T can sit on my lap and once I have a hand on his back he never wobbles. But he has always had ridiculous head control - seriously, he could hold his head up for a few seconds right after he came out. Our friends on the other hand have a 9 month old who still randomly headbutts people when he loses control over his noggin for a second :bigsmile: E will get there in his own time. If I leave T on the couch he will tip over too. Or just slide down until he's panned out like a bum :bigsmile:

Missy that is the most touching thing about your niece. I would have no doubt but that Blake did send a message to her to let you know he's OK. I hope the weather cooperates and you get to see his star soon.

lulu a shower most days is definitely a victory!!! It's gross but in the beginning there were many days that me and baby wipes were very well acquainted... re pumping, I pump once a day just to have enough in the fridge for DH to give T a bottle. What I usually do is feed T, then pump for another 10 mins or so on the side he ate from, and then pump from the other side. I do the pumping while he naps or while I push the buggy to get him to nap. I try to do this in the morning when the supply hormones are higher, but today it was the afternoon. The photo of Ellie is beautiful! What a little cutie!

Monnie you are just the most supportive and encouraging person! You are so kind to everyone and you always say such uplifting things. I met a girl at baby signing on Monday that I think I could be friends with - we got chatting and realised we have a lot in common. I am going to ask her out to coffee next week. It's hard, this making friends lark. I feel like I'm dating other Mammies!

pancake I was lurking this past year so I remember all you went through. I am glad you have come through the year with happy memories. That is very exciting about the PhD! Good for you!!! If you need any advice just holler, I came out the other side a couple of years ago. And yippee for a new car, very nice! That last photo of S is priceless :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Dandi great to see you hopping in here!!! Oscar is gorgeous! What a handsome little man! But if he keeps up this 10pm to 6am sleeping lark I am never speaking to you again ;))

===

AFU I am working on getting T to do the first sleep of the night in his cot, so we can get a nice long sleep where we can stretch out and be comfortable. I don't mind bringing him into the bed then at 4am or 6am or whatever but I would like him to do that first stretch in his own cot. It worked Saturday night and he slept for 5 hours. Sunday night he had a meltdown when I put him in there - asleep - and it took an hour to calm him back down. He slept for 4 hours then after that. Last night he did 3hrs 45 mins but that was only with the white noise playing, my hand on his belly, and if I kept putting his dody back in for him when he'd spit it out. So although he stayed in his cot for almost 4 hours, I got virtually no sleep. I am going to persevere though, hopefully tonight will be better. It doesn't help that we are having a crazy cold spell so I'm worrying a lot about whether he's warm enough in his crib. Ah, we'll work it out I'm sure.

I'll try to attach a photo of T showing some of his hair loss. He still has lots of hair but it's nowhere near as much as when he was brand new! I'll also try and attach a recent one of him in his car seat as Lliang (I think?) asked about the car seat :)

buttons-t-hairloss.jpg

img_495.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Well, I ordered it. I'm scared, yet strangely excited.

B's sleep has been ridiculous. He's been going down round 8:30, and then waking between 11-11:30 SCREAMING. I feed him and he goes back to sleep. That's a pretty annoying time for him to wake up, seeing how it's less than an hour after I've gone to sleep. Then he will sleep until between 5 and 6. It's frustrating because I know he can sleep through the night, he's done it before...and God knows he's big enough. Is there a 6 month sleep regression? Maybe that's what I'm dealing with. Any help would be appreciated!

In other news, I joined Weight Watchers online. I've been trying to lose weight on my own, but I need more structure. I do well with rules and plans. So hopefully it will help me get my butt into gear!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I'm failing at keeping up again, haha. Gah!

Buttons, T is so cute! Everyone's babies are cute here, actually. We make some good ones! Good luck getting him to sleep in his cot tonight without issue! He'll get used to it eventually, right?

Monkey, H has always been good with head control, and now she tries to sit up in my arms when she's lying down. She almost gave me a fat lip last week though, so it's not 100%.

Missy, still thinking about you. That might be the sweetest thing I've ever heard, re your niece. I also teared up, Lliang.

Lliang, my DH also drives me nuts taking care of her. He has Mondays off so he's alone with her all day. He thinks he can just plop her in his lap while he plays video games. Yeah, that's productive and stimulating...good work buddy. :rolleyes: But I do love watching them together! So sweet!

Lulu, woohoo shower! I also made sure I showered every day. H would go down for a nap around 11 or so, so I'd get to jump in there really quick. She had a knack for waking up as soon as I got out though, so it was ponytails and sweats for me everyday! At least it was nice to be clean, LOL.

I know I'm missing 3/4 of you guys out there, sorry!! I'm so bad at remembering what I just read and I'm trying to be discreet at work. Shhh!

AFU, H is becoming a really good sleeper, which makes me happy. She usually goes until 5, with a couple of nights a week where she'll be up earlier. Yay! Her personality is really starting to show now, she's the girl of a million expressions. Love it! Her eyes have turned a gorgeous shade of green, and I hope they stay that way! I have DARK brown eyes and DH has dark blue, so I was hoping they would be something other than brown. We'll see! Here's my girl at 3.5 months...how did that happen?!

h3months.jpg

h3months1.jpg

h3months2.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
amc, you won't regret it. I have to admit, it is oddly satisfying using the nosefrida :) Sorry about B's odd wake up time. Have you tried feeding him more or adding an extra feeding before you put him down? We are having a bit of frustration of our own because Ev is so sleepy in the evenings after he gets home from daycare, but too restless to go in crib. Then, he will sleep in the crib from about 10 or 11 until 3 or so, but after that, he still wants to sleep, just not in his crib. DH is the one who is feeding him and putting him down at that time, so I wonder if he is doing something different than I am when putting him down.

Buttons, ahh, what a cutie! Isn't it so fun to go back and look at the newborn pics and see just how much they have grown and changed in such a short time? But you can still see traces of them as newborns. As I mentioned above, we are having a similar problem with getting the little guy to do his sleeping in the crib. I can only hope that if we have more babies, they are better sleepers than E. That kid is the noisiest most restless sleeper in the world, so there is no way I would get any sleep with him in the room with us.

PP, do you have a link to that product? I have never heard of an electric one.

LC, Ethan is SO CUTE! I just want to give him a hug. I wouldn't cut his hair if I were you either. It's perfect just the way it is. I do LOVE seeing Ev with his daddy. I have about 500 pictures of the two of them in the same pose because Ev is so comfortable relaxing on daddy on the couch. I hope you're right that Ev will catch on to the tummy time and holding head up thing. I try to be diligent about tummy time, but it is so hard because I can only put him down when he is in a good mood, and inevitably, it leads to a meltdown and destroys the good mood. Plus, it doesn't do any good to have him on his tummy if he is just going to bury his head in the ground and wail. In addition to that, I have a limited window to try it because the kid cannot be laid down for like 45-60 minutes after eating or he spits up - a lot. He's such a little stinker! I'm planning to get a bumbo-like seat soon, but I don't think he is ready for that quite yet.

Haven, sounds like you're doing great. You will get there on the leaving the house thing. Nothing wrong with staying put if it isn't bothering you. I am also quite comfortable being a homebody, and I only left the house when I really had to in the first four weeks, but after that, I started to have really bad cabin fever, and I just had to get out, even if it was just a short errand. I don't think DH was too thrilled with my dozens of trips to Target because I always managed to spend money on things I didn't really need :) You'll have to post more pics of baby B!

Sunnyd, H is so sweet! Love her little expressions. Yeah, I'm used to seeing babies with a lot more head control early on, so that's why I'm a little worried about E. In his defense, he has a pretty big head compared to his skinny body, and he was also wedged in my side for a lot of the pregnancy, so I wonder if that contributed. He will sit straight up when I set him sideways in my lap to burp him, and he loves putting weight on his legs, so I am hoping the neck thing is just taking a little longer.

NEL, how are things going? Haven't heard from you in awhile and would love to see another picture of your little beauty!

Hope everyone else is doing well. Back to work for me!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
MP, just wanted to drop in and provide some moral support for Ev and tummy time! A was the king of face-planting and screaming during tummy time. It took what seemed like forever for him to get used to it. We tried surrounding him with toys, but that didn't help because he wouldn't see them with his face in the mat. The thing that finally worked was propping him up on his arms so that they were under his chest. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you squish Ev's arms straight under him, bent at his elbows, it'll help keep his head up because his arms are in the way of his face going down, if that makes any sense. I think we did this when A was around 4 months, and he's been perfectly happy on the floor since. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

Love seeing the pics of all the precious babies! :love:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
monkeyprincess|1358882340|3361840 said:
I try to be diligent about tummy time, but it is so hard because I can only put him down when he is in a good mood, and inevitably, it leads to a meltdown and destroys the good mood. Plus, it doesn't do any good to have him on his tummy if he is just going to bury his head in the ground and wail. In addition to that, I have a limited window to try it because the kid cannot be laid down for like 45-60 minutes after eating or he spits up - a lot. He's such a little stinker! I'm planning to get a bumbo-like seat soon, but I don't think he is ready for that quite yet.

MP, sounds like M! I've always been worried that he would need PT because he doesn't like to hold up his giant head, which is SO different than E&O. He ends up rubbing his face all over the floor and then gets snot everywhere because he's so worked up! Do you know what has helped him get stronger? Tummy sleeping! He's been sleeping on his tummy at night for about two weeks now and I instantly noticed a difference. He'll hold himself up on the floor now and play for about 10 minutes, but he still reaches that furious, I hate being on my tummy, point eventually. I ask our pedi about it every time we're in and he's always been extremely reassuring that we don't need to worry yet. I hope he just learns to sit up soon so he'll stop being so frustrated!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, I am so impressed that you're working during your maternity leave. I did a bit of work myself (went to a couple line showings where I was out of town for 7+ hours, wrote several Spring 13 orders that took almost a full 8 hours each, kept up with emails and some phone calls) so I understand what it's like to be on leave, but not really on leave! Good for you. I know several other mommies here have done the same. It's hard, but at the same time keeps you feeling like part of the world, so in a sense, it's a positive thing. It sounds like you were prepared and are doing well with the workload. Good for you!!! Time flies, doesn't it? I miss those first few weeks of teeny, tiny baby like crazy all the time, and sooooo wish I'd been feeling better so I could've enjoyed them more. But that seems to be the husbands' department (except for the sleep deprivation part.) Anyway, glad you are getting into the swing of things and I look forward to seeing more pics of Brienz and hope that you'll keep posting tidbits about your new life as a mommy! The STTN question is akin to the "when are you getting engaged/when are you getting married?" People just want to make conversation, I think. Yay for sweet smiles! That is the most satisfying "tell" that you are doing it right. And you are! So glad you are enjoying being a mommy, your love for Brienz really comes through in your posts. Next, I wanna see a mommy/son pic! ;-) Don't worry about me-centric posts; it took me forever to catch up here and as much as I read along and WANT to participate, it just doesn't happen as often as I want. We are all forgiving because we're all moms and we all understand! Stay cozy and warm in this very chilly winter weather (down here in IN it's been single digit lows the past couple days....shiverrrrr!!!!)

LC: a big move is scary at any age. I can't imagine moving when your health is in question. I wish you and your husband strength, and also your extended family, that everything goes well. Little E is just the CUTEST. A little GAP model if I've ever seen one. Thanks for taking the time to post pics!

Buttons: Aww, thank you, you're so kind. I really appreciated reading your words. I realized back when I was pregnant that it's so helpful to hear supportive words from people other than family/husband/friends. So I try to remember to post what I initially think when I read things here. I really am so happy that this group exists; I have absolutely NO time in my personal life to get to a mom's group (which is actually just about a mile from my house) due to timing, so this has become my group. I have several mommy friends irl but we're lucky to meet once a month and it's great to be able to come here and read/gain knowledge/commiserate on a daily basis whether I end up posting or not. Soooo happy to hear you may have made a friend or at least have a "date!" Makes you feel like a new person. I have all these requests from friends here who I've had to put off due to work and life this month and I'm making a point to get them all on my calendar for visits this month. It will be hard, but I know I need to just do it. Your T is so adorable; thanks for posting pics, his hair is going to fill in perfectly, I bet. For now at least he still looks like a baby...I'm lamenting the loss of A's infant look as she has all this hair and looks like a 2 y/o without the mobility/motor skills! Oh, the carseat thing...I was paying attention above when you talked about a regulation where you live in which one must be able to undo a harness with one click. I wish it was like that in America! It is SO hard for me to unbuckle the entire contraption, especially while she is stll asleep or awake and straining against the straps. US needs to take notes. Also: hopeful moment of mine: A sucked her thumb to soothe herself back to sleep but stopped around 6.5 months. She never took a "dody" or pacifier. Maybe T will reject the dody soon? If not, no worries, my bro had a pacifier til he was 4! Whatever works, right?! Hugs, mommy.

AMC, no advice on the screaming wakes but that sucks!!! A will fuss and start to cry but not really go nuts, husband just goes into her room and gives her a bottle with about 2 oz of warm water in it, she sucks on that for a minute now and goes right back to sleep. Good for you for joining WW, that has to make you feel good! You'll be back to your old self in no time! I remember your JBP pics and thinking you were SO SKINNY, girl, I know you'll get back there. Keep up the great mommy work and enjoy your workout times/getting back to your "old normal!" You can do it!

SunnyD: your young lady is JUST BEAUTIFUL. Those eyes, that smile! Such a cutie....glad to hear she's getting more sleep. You are NOT FAILING at keeping up here! You are SUCCESSFUL at making a post, darlin'! Good job, mama! I feel you on the fat lip--A has punched me various sensitive places many times. And don't ask about the state of husband's vulnerable areas (above the waist, above the waist!) She's wrecked us both quite a few times, no fun, but we laugh it off, of course. Your DH playing video games while watching her? yep, that's what they do. Mine thinks he can get work done...haha, she can climb up and shut his laptop on his hands now. So don't worry, your DH's habits will have to change toute de suite. Once they become mobile, turns out everyone's scr*wed!

AFU: A will be 8 months next week, its bittersweet for me because I'll be traveling that day/night. She just gave me "kisses" today, which consist of open mouthed head bonks close to my cheeks, but I'll take it! Her sweetness is indescribable. Every time I come home from work now she just squeals and laughs, it's so nice to be recognized, finally! I'm really savoring every moment, I know the day will soon come when she is walking and talking and mama will be of little interest unless she fails at something and runs back to me for hugs and reassurance. Sigh. I really need 10 more...what the heck was I waiting for all these years? Kidding, those were my wildest fantasies talking. ;-)

ETA: here are four really crap pics I managed to get with my old 3g iphone this evening. Please enjoy, and hum something from the '70's in your head while you're scrolling through them. Hooray for Instagram? :bigsmile: ;)) :rolleyes:

alexswing12213.jpg

alextv12213.jpg

alexlaundrybasket12213.jpg

alexmdbottlenooo.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had an outing today! DH, B, and I spent an hour walking around the local mall after B's ped appt. I wore B in the Moby wrap and he slept the entire time. I felt so accomplished. :bigsmile: Oh, and B gained 30 ounces in three weeks! He's 10 lbs 12 oz now, and 23 in long. The Dr. said I must have MiracleGro in my milk. :cheeky:

He slept like a CHAMP last night--one 5.5 hr stretch followed by a 3.75 hr stretch. I felt so great this morning; let's hope he does it again tonight! Pleaseohpleaseohplease let this become a habit!

Monnie--Don't be impressed, it's only one class with only nine students! Is it bad that I'm already dreading going back to work FT on August?
A is gorgeous, more pictures!!!! Look at those eyes!

Okay, I'm typing one-handed b/c B is sleeping in my arms. So, here are some photos and I'll come back later to really contribute, promise.

img_4252_copy.jpg
img_3953_copy.jpg
love_those_chubby_arms_copy.jpg

Buttons

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies!

amc sorry to hear about B's sleep issues :( Would it be possible to dream feed him when you go to bed and then maybe he'd sleep through the 11pm wake up? That way you wouldn't be going to bed and then being woken up after only an hour? That must really suck! Hope WW goes well for you, I would love to do the online plan but it's not available where I am. I would have to go to meetings and I'm exhausted as it is with all the stuff I'm doing trying to get to know people here... maybe in a few more months.

sunny thanks for the kind words and the support! I think he is already settling a bit and getting used to the cot, yippee! I can totally see H's green eyes in that first photo (I'm not weird, but I zoomed in on my phone ;)) ), they are gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

monkey I would also second the suggestion to have E do his tummy time positioned like the Sphynx. That is the only way we've ever done tummy time as that's how the physical therapist showed us how to do it. At first he struggled and tried to keep his weight off his right arm/shoulder, but after two sessions of osteo he was happy as a clam to hang out lying on his forearms. Also don't put too much pressure on yourself about it - if he starts crying take him up and try again a bit later. Even 30 seconds is good! Some people I know do 30 seconds of tummy time after each nappy change, rather than trying to do five minutes in one go, as their babies hate it.

monnie the whole issue with the dody is that we very rarely give it to him so he kind of doesn't know what to do with it. It does help him drift off to sleep though when he wants to comfort suck on me, so that is when I offer it. He has a bad latch and he does weird things with his mouth while he sucks so 90% of the time it comes flying back out straight away. Then about half the time he'll take it after about five or six spit outs and then he'll settle off to sleep. The other half of the time he just doesn't take it. And I'm glad I inspired you to meet up with your friends! You need you-time too honey! Love the photos of A, as always :love: I hummed the theme tune to the Wonder Years while looking at them, was that good? ;))

Haven yippee for outings and champion sleeping exploits!!! Woohoo!!! B is gorgeous, he looks so mature and alert, like he's soaking everything up and taking it all in :bigsmile:

===

AFU the night after my last post T did another 5 hour stretch in his crib, followed by a 3 hour stretch. Yesterday we were out and about all day so he didn't get proper naps, so I didn't expect a good sleep. He went down in the crib very easy though, I was surprised! He only did 3 hours before waking but after the busy day that was to be expected. I think we are making good progress, hope I haven't jinxed myself now by writing that 'out loud'.

I have a quick question I'm wondering about, hopefully some of the other C-section Mammies can help me out with this. Nurse Crazy told me I should have been doing scar massage since 8 weeks post surgery, no-one at the hospital or my doctor's surgery had mentioned this before. She said I have to use lanolin to do it. I asked would Lansinoh cream be OK as I have some of that left over from the early BF days and she said 'if you have to' - I took that to be her own unique bonkers version of 'yes'. So I have been trying to do this massage with the Lansinoh and it's really not very comfortable. It's so thick and hard to rub in, it drags my skin and the whole thing feels very icky. The other night I gave it a go with some baby oil instead and I found it much easier to do, I felt I could actually feel what I was at and that I could actually massage rather than just gingerly pat around the area, which was all I could manage with the Lansinoh. Was anyone else told to do this massage, and do you think it's OK to continue with the baby oil or do I really need to be using the Lansinoh?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Buttons - delurking to chime in on your scar question. My son had some surgery requiring 3 large incisions when he was 9mo. His surgeon (a plastic/micro surgeon at top of his field) told us that it really doesn't matter what you use, it's the act of massage that is the most beneficial. Studies have not shown any particular product to be better than another, not even the specialty scar creams. So massage away and don't worry would be my advice :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Buttons--Thank you!
I haven't heard about the C-section scar massage, but I'm only 5 weeks out. I'll ask my OB at my appt next week. My instinct says that the oil should be fine, but what do I know?
WOOT for the great stretches of sleep! Is T doing better in his own bed? We play white noise at night and now I'm wondering if I should stop, maybe he'll become too reliant on it?
That newborn picture of T is AMAZING, he has quite the mischievous twinkle in his eye. He really has changed, it's so fun to see his growth in those photos.
I hope you like the book! I'm going to see if I can buy a print of one of the paintings from it for B's nursery, it's the one facing the page that begins with "So whenever you doubt just how special you are / And you wonder who loves you, how much and how far". The image is beautiful, but the sentiment on that page gets me every time! I can't believe I've never heard of this book before, TBH. I'm going to start giving it as a gift to all new mamas.

MP--You've inspired me to take my next trip to Target. I'm sure I could find some fun things to bring home. :cheeky: DH and I have a hard time spending less than $80 any time we go in there, so this could be a costly little habit, but hey--I have to practice going out on my own, right? 8)

Sunny--H is adorable! I love her little smirk in that first picture, that is one for the photo album! She is definitely the lady of a million expressions, I can see it! How awesome that she's sleeping so well!

AMC--I've read about a 6 month sleep regression, so maybe that's exactly what's going on. I hope B gets over it very soon! I've been thinking about joining WW too, how is it going? My eating habits have been ridiculous since my B was born. I don't think I'm eating too many calories, but I KNOW they're coming from the wrong places. I have developed a crazy sweet tooth since being pregnant, which is something I've never had before. Let's just say I've been doing my best to keep Cap'n Crunch and Froot Loops in business. And don't even ask how many boxes of Cheez-Its I've eaten.

LC--You are so awesomely supportive, how can I thank you? Seriously, your posts always make me feel so much better. Thank you. ::)
Adapting is the key to parenting, indeed! I joke that DH was set in his ways when he married at the ripe old age of 38, but let me just say that there's nothing like having a newborn at home to break him out of those ways at 42!
I could look at pictures of E all day! More more more, please!

Monnie--I know I already asked for more pictures, but I'm going to do it again! :cheeky: I can't get enough.
I understand what you mean about wanting more now that you have one, I feel the same way. I cannot wait for B to start giving kisses and giggling, I think I'm just going to melt on the spot when that happens!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Buttons said:
amc sorry to hear about B's sleep issues :( Would it be possible to dream feed him when you go to bed and then maybe he'd sleep through the 11pm wake up? That way you wouldn't be going to bed and then being woken up after only an hour? That must really suck! Hope WW goes well for you, I would love to do the online plan but it's not available where I am. I would have to go to meetings and I'm exhausted as it is with all the stuff I'm doing trying to get to know people here... maybe in a few more months.

I've tried doing dream feeds, and the only way it would work is if I left him in the crib to feed....is that okay to do? As soon as I move him he's awake.

B has also been sleeping a lot at day care. On Tuesday I calculated that he was only up for 2.5 hours all day. Yesterday was 3.5 hours (When I say all day, I mean during day care, so 8:30am-5:00pm). I thought that was the issue with his night sleeping, but the night stuff has been going on for almost a week and this day sleep has just started.

I hope it's just a 6 month growth spurt issue. Has anyone else gone through this? Last night was better- he woke up at 11:45 (sometimes I think our video monitor works in reverse, because he woke up about 5 seconds after I went to bed), ate, and slept until 6am. So that's really not a bad stretch.

He is capable of putting himself to sleep. He'll often wake up when I put him in his crib. He'll kick and fuss, then he'll try to turn on his Baby Einstein aquarium (which is out of batteries = frustrated baby, ha!), and go to sleep. It takes him a max of 10-15 minutes.

Any thoughts or ideas? The only other thing I can think of is that he's not getting a lot of quality sleep at night because his nose is always stuffy. The Nosefrieda should arrive today, so hopefully we can clear him up.

How much sleep is too much sleep??? When should I be concerned? As I say, I hope it's just a growth/developmental issue...but, of course, I must think of the worst case scenario.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
AMC--I've read about a 6 month sleep regression, so maybe that's exactly what's going on. I hope B gets over it very soon! I've been thinking about joining WW too, how is it going? My eating habits have been ridiculous since my B was born. I don't think I'm eating too many calories, but I KNOW they're coming from the wrong places. I have developed a crazy sweet tooth since being pregnant, which is something I've never had before. Let's just say I've been doing my best to keep Cap'n Crunch and Froot Loops in business. And don't even ask how many boxes of Cheez-Its I've eaten.

We cross-posted. Yes, I think/hope it's the 6 month regression or growth spurt or whatever. You know, as opposed to something being horribly wrong...

WW is going well! I find it really easy to follow. It really helps you make better choices. I went out to lunch yesterday and spent a good 15 minute looking at their menu online, figuring out what to have. I know what you mean about bad eating habits. I feel like I've been on a diet my whole life (or at least very aware of what I was eating), and during late pregnancy I really stopped caring. It's a hard habit to break! I made an amazing WW chicken recipe last night and DH had no idea it was WW. The online tools and phone apps are really useful and make tracking pretty easy and fun.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to mention in my last post, thank you for all the opinions & recommendations regarding the lil snugabunny swing! we decided to keep it & I'm so glad we did!! yes, it is big & just set up in the living room all the time but Ellie loves it & I love that she loves it! also love that it plugs in!

I'm managing to read all the posts but don't feel like I have a lot to offer bc I'm still just learning about this mom-thing :D as I get more comfortable, I think my participation will increase.

haven re: white noise, we use the sleep sheep for Ellie during naps & night sleeping. my thought is, if she's sleeping, she can just use the white noise for-ever! lol. also, once she moves to her own room, we might have to get one bc I think my DH is "addicted" to the sleep sheep now ;-) and I love that middle pic of B!!

amc good luck w/ww! I've used it before & had great success.

monnie what a little cutie!

mp I agree the nosefreida is oddly satisfying! I'm like, "look at that big boogie!!" LOL

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
PSA: Zulily has Bumbleride Indies, $440 for twin and $310 for singles. I *may* have ordered a twin in aqua even though we already have a double and single :devil: I'm already feeling guilty though so may cancel it. The CL market in my area just isn't as strong as I'd like so I might have a hard time selling the two I already have :naughty:

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite, ha! I've been on a baby spending spree, so I better stay away from the site. It's so much easier to justify buying things for my kiddo than it is for me :)

Lulu, ha! Glad I'm not the only one. I feel a little bad that I'm all proud of myself after using it even though it makes the little guy upset. It's for his own good though!

AMC, you'll have to report back on the nosefrida. Hope it helps B sleep better.

Haven, what a cute little chunker! I ended up with a long and lean baby, but I'm definitely partial to the chunky ones. Glad to hear things are going so well for you! My DH is also 42, and I always gave him a hard time because I didn't think he would adapt well to a new baby after being a bachelor for so long, but to be honest, I think he actually adapted better than I did!

Monarch, I feel the same way too! I definitely have babies on the brain and would have three or four more if DH would agree to it. But I need to keep reminding myself just to soak up every moment with Ev and not worry about the future because I have no idea whether we will be able to have another baby.

Buttons and S&I, thanks so much for the tummy time advice. I am definitely going to pay more attention to how I place his arms to see if that makes a difference. Last night, I had him do tummy time on me while I was lying on the couch, and he kept laughing every time I made him lift his head and look at me, so hopefully, he is starting to be a bit more open to the idea of lifting his head. He is one stubborn kid though.

Not much to report on my end, but I just wanted to drop in and say hi!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
MP, glad tummy time is improving. We honestly don't do enough of it with K. I have been propping her up with a small wedge under her chest - wonder if I should take that away.

Kunzite, thanks for the tip. We were going to get the City Mini (which is onsale for $200 on Amazon with the current 20% off Amazon Mom promo going on), but that seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

Hi, lulu. glad you kept and like the snugabunny. We put K in it sporadically, but she doesn't like the swinging too much. She likes her bouncy seat.

AMC, sorry about the sleep regression. K woke up at 6am today which is much earlier than her usual 830-9am wake ups. I am hoping she sleeps later tomorrow AM.

Haven, Brienz is adorable. He looks so alert and aware. I'm glad you were able to get out of the house with him and that he slept for 5 hours!

Buttons, I haven't done anything for my c-section scar. Maybe I should though. Glad T is getting 2 good stretches of sleep at night and hope he keeps it up for you! He is so adorable - love your 3 photos!

Monnie, A really is stunning. Sorry you will miss her 8 month birthday. Love the retro photos!

S&I, how's Alex doing? Any photos?

Sunny, H is beautiful. Love the expressions and green is such a pretty eye color!

AMC, good luck with the nose frida. We have one that I use sporadically. I have been putting nose drops in pretty much every time I change K's diaper though as she has always been very congested sounding, but her nose doesn't really run that much. She just always sounds congested! Good luck with WW online. My sister had luck with them in the past.

LC, Ethan is so handsome and photogenic. Love the doggie photo!

Hi, to anyone else I missed out there! I have been meaning to update, but never seem to have time.

AFU, I am working again this week - I work from home. My mom is our temporary nanny. We found a new nanny and offered her the job this week - she has to put in 2 weeks notice so she'll be starting in 2 weeks from now. I have been visiting K a lot during the day. It kills me to hear her cry and/or not know what she's doing when I'm working. I actually think having my mom here first is a good transition before our proper nanny starts in 2 weeks - hopefully, I will be less anxious by then. I don't want the nanny to think I'm micromanaging her.

k_purple.jpg

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I am so jealous of your sleeping babies... I so wish I knew what we were doing wrong, or that I knew what Eloise needed to sleep more/longer/better. I'm so at the end of my rope. She spent all of last night in her crib, unswaddled (miracle!) but went down at 7, was up at 7:40, 9:30, 10:00, 11, 2, 5, and 7:30. And that felt like a GOOD night because we had a 2 hour and a 3 hour stretch. We've read Ferber, Baby Whisperer, No Cry Sleep Solution, and others... and my mind is going to explode with all the contradictory information.

We live in an advanced, developed society... so why the HECK can't we come to a consensus about whether CIO (or gradual extinction) causes lasting damage? Or whether pick up/put down causes unnecessary stress? Or whether co-sleeping causes dependency and overall worse sleep? For heaven's sake! :nono: :(sad :blackeye:

dani13

Ideal_Rock
PPM, I so hear you on the sleep thing! L is 4 months old and has a very similar sleeping pattern to your little one. It takes us several attempts to get him down initially, then he's basically up every 3 hrs thereafter. At least you've tried to read, etc...Im too damm tired to even pick up an book, let alone read it! Im getting very nervous since I do have to return to work in a month and I need sleep!!! :confused:

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
PPM, ugh, I'm right there with you on having a poor sleeper. So sorry. I know how frustrating it is. DH and I are still sleeping in shifts at 3.5 months because that is the only way either of us gets any quality sleep. I really do think some babies are better sleepers than others, so don't blame yourself. Obviously, I'm no expert on the sleep issue, but in my humble opinion, people who take such extreme positions are a little out there. I have known far too many parents who have had to let their babies cry for awhile to teach them to sleep through the night in their cribs to believe that it causes lasting damage. Obviously, you have to use common sense, and try to keep the crying to a minimum, but you also have to do what is best for Eloise, which is to have a rested baby and a rested, healthy mama. Hugs.

JGator, K is such a cutie! I think you said your husband is Indian, right? I think she's going to be such a pretty little girl. I really hope the new nanny works out for you, and I hope getting back to work is going okay. I agree tht it having your mom take care of her at first will help ease the transition. Having a webcam at Ev's daycare is the only thing that gives me any sense of security. I can tell that the girls who take care of him are very nuturing and responsible.

Dani, hope sleeping gets better for you too! A girl at the office told me that her 5 month old is sleeping from 8 pm to 7 am, and has been for months. I wanted to punch her! How are things going with you otherwise?

Have a great weekend everyone!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I keep falling off the wagon when it comes to posting and I just tried to write some replies, and then the internet monster ate it! Grr!

No time to type, but wanted to post pictures!

Things here are great. Katie is thisclose to walking, she's just too timid to take a step. But she'll practically run around the house pushing her walking toy. She babbles constantly at home, but is shy and quiet in public. She's only eating finger foods these days, so I'm always trying to find new finger-friendly meals for her. We're getting ready for her 1st b-day next month, I can't believe it!

patrick_0.jpg

katie_basket.jpg

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
PilsnPinkysMom|1359081348|3363248 said:
I am so jealous of your sleeping babies... I so wish I knew what we were doing wrong, or that I knew what Eloise needed to sleep more/longer/better. I'm so at the end of my rope. She spent all of last night in her crib, unswaddled (miracle!) but went down at 7, was up at 7:40, 9:30, 10:00, 11, 2, 5, and 7:30. And that felt like a GOOD night because we had a 2 hour and a 3 hour stretch. We've read Ferber, Baby Whisperer, No Cry Sleep Solution, and others... and my mind is going to explode with all the contradictory information.

We live in an advanced, developed society... so why the HECK can't we come to a consensus about whether CIO (or gradual extinction) causes lasting damage? Or whether pick up/put down causes unnecessary stress? Or whether co-sleeping causes dependency and overall worse sleep? For heaven's sake! :nono: :(sad :blackeye:

PPM, I don't have a link but there was a study done showing that gradual extinction didn't have any lasting effects. Just wanted to throw that out :read: The prevailing theory on multiple night wakings, like you're dealing with, is that the baby is overtired. How does she nap during the day? Since she's getting nowhere near enough night sleep at this point (should be 11-12 hours to be well rested) it will just be a process for you to get her rested enough TO sleep. All of that said, I understand sleep theory very well. In practice? Well you can't make your baby do everything you need them to. For instance, E's problem used to be short naps leading to being overtired leading to multiple night wakings. But solving short naps is no easy feat when you can dedicate all of your time to it, let alone with a very loud toddler and second clingy baby ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results