shape
carat
color
clarity

Protein Powder...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Was just wondering if anyone has a good protein powder to recommend... I am looking for something that tastes good and is around 100 cal per serving.
TIA
35.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey and I really like it. It has 130 cals per serving, though. The chocolate flavor is really good, we''ve been using it for about five months now and I have no plans of switching any time soon!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like Muscle Milk (you can get it at GNC). BUT, it''s loaded with calories. Good ones, but about 3 times the limit you suggested.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I use Body Fortress (chocolate), but again, lots o' calories. 210 per two scoops (52g protein); I only take one scoop, and of course that cuts calories in half, which would put you pretty near your mark. It's pretty yum, though, as far as whey powder goes.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions.
1.gif

Date: 12/4/2009 12:14:34 PM
Author: Julianna
I use Body Fortress (chocolate), but again, lots o'' calories. 210 per two scoops (52g protein); I only take one scoop, and of course that cuts calories in half, which would put you pretty near your mark. It''s pretty yum, though, as far as whey powder goes.

I actually ended up buying this since it was relativity inexpensive ($15 for 2lbs) and the calories of a half serving were around 100. I tried it today with milk and it was pretty good.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
What purpose does protein powder serve???? I don''t know a lot about supplements.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 5:31:07 PM
Author: divergrrl
What purpose does protein powder serve???? I don''t know a lot about supplements.
Protein powder serves two purposes: muscle recovery and muscle building. I use it for muscle recovery after weight training, and take about 25g a day. Body builders take more like 150g a day, and are using it to "bulk up". Whey protein, specifically, contains amino acids that help the body build muscle.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 6:03:15 PM
Author: poshpepper
1.gif

I use Body Fortress (chocolate), but again, lots o'' calories. 210 per two scoops (52g protein); I only take one scoop, and of course that cuts calories in half, which would put you pretty near your mark. It''s pretty yum, though, as far as whey powder goes.

I actually ended up buying this since it was relativity inexpensive ($15 for 2lbs) and the calories of a half serving were around 100. I tried it today with milk and it was pretty good.
It is fairly inexpensive, compared to some other brands and is just as "good", despite the low price tag. I have no complaints.
1.gif
Glad you tried it out. If you haven''t already, get a shaker cup thingie so you don''t have to deal with chunks. It''s almost chocolate milk if you can get it mixed well enough. Almost. Heh.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to add, some use it as a way to remain fuller longer as well. Protein shakes as a meal replacement for instance. This is in the case of someone who isn''t working on building muscle (I E I Run a lot, I have protein shakes a few times a week for breakfast if I''m running in the daytime... they keep me from cramping up and I am able to stay full for a longer period of time. I haven''t found any noticeable weight or muscle gain in my case).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use whey protein to help muscle recovery and growth when I''m on a lifting program.
I have friends who use it the way Dragonfly does--as a meal replacement.

If you use a blender and throw in a banana and some ice, the good protein powders will taste like smoothies. I look forward to my protein shake everyday, it''s so delicious!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 6:39:47 PM
Author: Haven
We use Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey and I really like it. It has 130 cals per serving, though. The chocolate flavor is really good, we''ve been using it for about five months now and I have no plans of switching any time soon!
I too use this. I like the Natural Chocolate type... has 130cals, 24g protein, 5g carbs, 1.5g fat. I mix it with water and it tastes like Ovaltine to me.

I messed around with many different types and found this to be the best for me.

deadprez

Rough_Rock
200 ML water
250 Ml grape juice
ice cubes
2 scoops of vanilla protein.
1 scoop frozen strawberry and another rasberry.

blend it up in your magic bullet and you will have 1 amazing purple nurple smoothie.
18.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 9:08:28 AM

Date: 12/5/2009 6:03:15 PM
1.gif

It is fairly inexpensive, compared to some other brands and is just as ''good'', despite the low price tag. I have no complaints.
1.gif
Glad you tried it out. If you haven''t already, get a shaker cup thingie so you don''t have to deal with chunks. It''s almost chocolate milk if you can get it mixed well enough. Almost. Heh.
I got the Vanilla flavor and have been using my martini shaker to shake it up (feel free to laugh
2.gif
) I didn''t want to pay 4 bucks for the other shaker. haahaa. It does the trick pretty well and I don''t get too many clumps.

The discussion on the purpose of protein powder supplement leads me to another question...
On the package it says to consume the shake after workouts to fuel muscle recovery, but I am drinking them before my workouts (since I went on a low cal diet (1500 cal per day) I had been losing energy halfway through my hockey games, and this method of drinking the protein powder before the game to keep my energy up was recommended to me on another forum). I was wondering if this defeats the purpose of the protein powder or if it doesn''t really matter that much.
I will say that the method has been working and now I feel like I can play two games back to back!
3.gif

Thanks again for all the feedback
1.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 5:57:42 PM

I got the Vanilla flavor and have been using my martini shaker to shake it up (feel free to laugh
2.gif
) I didn''t want to pay 4 bucks for the other shaker. haahaa. It does the trick pretty well and I don''t get too many clumps.

The discussion on the purpose of protein powder supplement leads me to another question...
On the package it says to consume the shake after workouts to fuel muscle recovery, but I am drinking them before my workouts (since I went on a low cal diet (1500 cal per day) I had been losing energy halfway through my hockey games, and this method of drinking the protein powder before the game to keep my energy up was recommended to me on another forum). I was wondering if this defeats the purpose of the protein powder or if it doesn''t really matter that much.
I will say that the method has been working and now I feel like I can play two games back to back!
3.gif

Thanks again for all the feedback
1.gif
Woohoo martini shaker!
9.gif
Way to improvise.
9.gif

On the subject of when to take the supplement: If you''re drinking it for muscle recovery, you''re supposed to take it within the half hour after you stop working. Scientifically (or at least, it says so on the container, har har), this is the optimum time because it''s when your muscles "need" it the most. I try to run home and throw some back before that half hour window closes, or as close as I can get to it. If you''re drinking it for energy (ie. to get you through hockey games) or for meal replacement, you''re fine too. As dragonfly was saying, you can use protein powder for more than just recovery/building of muscle. So theoretically, you''re still fine. I, personally, couldn''t drink it right before a workout, as it''d probably come back up in the middle of deadlifts or hacksquats or something.
25.gif
My stomach is not very forgiving. Heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results